cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is my Nest defective or is it me that is defective?

FrankForrest
Community Member

Just installed first generation Nest thermostat on my forced air gas system.  Old thermostat had two wires connected to W and Rc (Rc was jumpered to R).  Set up thermostat and received the "need C wire" message.    Upon setup, I receive the error code E294, red wire not connected.  I removed and reinserted the red wire, did a factory reset on the thermostat, removed it from my phone and set it up again with the same results.  I did this 5 times and on the fifth time it finally worked.  The next day, since I had an extra wire, I connected this wire to the "C" terminal on my furnace and on the "C" tab on the thermostat.  This too took several tries before it was recognized but eventually, the Nest functioned as designed, motion sensing, connected to both Google and Alexa, etc.  The next day it was not working, it displayed the M20 and E298 codes.  I've removed the device from my phone and have done about a dozen factory resets, each time with a different error message.  One time, all wires not recognized, then E294, red wire not connected, then needs C wire, can't connect to Wi-Fi, M20, E298.  Is my Nest defective?  I'd also like to check for power but unsure which terminals to test from.  Red and C?  Sorry for the long post - wanted to give all the details.

1 REPLY 1

FrankForrest
Community Member

Turns out I'm defective.  Wasted at least 6 hours yesterday troubleshooting this thing.  Put the old thermostat back on this morning and nothing.  Took the panel off the furnace and there it was plain as day - blown fuse.

But my next question is - after all these years, why did the fuse blow after connecting the Nest?