cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest 3rd gen Learning thermostat for Rheem heat pump

Lycoming360
Community Member

I have a newly installed Rheem 2 stage heat pump, with Aux Heat paired with a 3rd gen Nest learning T-stat.

I'm sure the system is not wired correctly, but I've had the installer back to the house twice and frankly he does not really understand the Nest.

As of now, the Nest believes this is a "Dual Fuel" system, with Alt Heat coming on at 32deg.  But, this isn't a dual fuel system . . . 

The way the heating system behaves now is that Aux Heat does not kick in when the heat pump is running.  It only operates when the temp is below freezing -- and it works fine then.

So, my question is:   How do I wire the Nest T-stat correctly?   And, when I do re-wire, do I need to "reset" the Nest?

2 REPLIES 2

dragon265
Community Member

Ran into the same issue and after a good bit of tinkering with it, I was able to figure it out. Select Dual for your setup, and then pro setup. In that screen, some of the connections will be yellow. go into each one with the data I provided below and configure accordingly. Ensure to change all of the settings from Gas to Electric heat. 

blue: C

Yellow: Y1

Red: RH

Orange: O/B (change this to B during setup)

Brown (off white) - Emergency (*) - change this during setup

Green: G

White: W2 (Aux)

Thanks very much.

For anyone with this problem, this guide is your friend:  http://support-assets.nest.com/images/pro-faq/Nest-Pro-Installer-Guide.pdf

My installer (all three of them!) did not really understand that the Rheem heat pump I have is a two stage unit. For a 2 Stage Heat Pump with Aux Heat, the wiring diagram is at the top of page 14 of the guide.   You do NOT need to be a Pro installer to do this.

Since my thermostat wiring colors were slightly different, I checked the wire colors against the connections inside the blower motor cabinet -- this sounds scary, but if you turn of the fuse to the blower, remove 5 little screws, the wires are right in front of you.  And, the wiring diagram is there as well.   

Once I got it set up correctly, it works great!  The Nest thermostat did NOT need a reset -- once it was wired correctly, it just worked. . .

It is disheartening that I had to figure this all out on my own.   The young techs who tried to fix this were doing their best, but clearly had not been trained.