cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Temperature Sensor Limit?

MamaBear20543
Community Member

We see online that we can have “up to 6” sensors, however, our Gen 3 will not allow more than 3 to be connected. What do we need to do to connect 6?

3 REPLIES 3

RobDude
Community Member

Can I ask - what do you hope to accomplish by connecting 6? I don't have an answer for you question, but the Nest really handles temperature sensor's very poorly. You can only have one sensor active at a time, and there are only four predefined times you can use to set the active sensor (morning, midday, evening, night).

You can't even change the times for them. It's all hardcoded.

You can say 'Use sensor #1 in the morning (7-11am), then sensor #2 in the midday (11-4pm)....' but you can never have a schedule with more than four sensors. Also, the sensors do not detect when people are nearby, so you can't just have it switch to the one with movement or whatever.

You can manually change the active sensor in the app, but at that point, you might as well just manually change the temperature and save yourself the $$$.

We have a second home that experienced frozen pipes last year causing major damage. We want to monitor the temperature on every floor (3) and in all the bathrooms (4) to hopefully have notification of temperature concerns in the house before experiencing another catastrophic event. 

That makes sense. Thank you for the response. 
Sadly, I don't believe this will work for you. I confirmed with Google Support who said:

As for your question is, no safety temperature doesn't include all the temperature sensors, only thermostat.

Other documentation I've seen suggests that the active sensor is what's used for all of the thermostat's functions, implying that the active one would trigger the alert - but in either case - it absolutely will not use multiple sensors for the 'Safety Temperatures' feature. 

It'd show you the temperature if you pull up the app, but it won't notify you or use any temperature reading other than the scheduled one.

Honestly, I've yet to find a single situation where these temperature sensors are actually worth having. Maybe someone else will post proving me wrong.