cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nest automatic home/away device switching not working

Trail77s
Community Member

The Nest thermostat used to automatically switch between home and away, but that feature has stopped working over the past few months. Recently, I found that it detects my departure from home and will switch to ECO mode, but when I return home, it shows and confirms that I am Home on the app, but the mode setting is still on ECO mode. I need to manually switch it back to the normal mode. I have checked everything on the app but found nothing out of the ordinary - I've had the same settings for the last three years. It's a 3rd generation model. I have tried the following without any success:

• I have uninstalled and re-installed the app
  • I have restarted the Nest
  • I have updated the iOS and Nest app on my iPhone 12

Next step: return the nest?

3 REPLIES 3

Celottd
Community Member

I have noticed the same thing over the last month. There must have been a change. Home/Away assist confirms that it knows I came home, it’s set to home, but I’m still on ECO. Only thing I noticed different is that I had manually set the thermostat the previous day. But, it should have resumed automatic mode within a few hours. It had in the past. 

Trail77s
Community Member

Thanks for chiming in here, Celottd! I know we're not the only ones; a friend of mine has also noticed this with her Nest.

It may know that I'm home, but to second your point, it doesn't stop ECO anymore (it used to). 

IMG_2193.jpg

Celottd
Community Member

My pleasure.  My first post.  Thanks for the welcome!

The workaround, as you probably found, is to put the best back into the right mode (heat, cool, etc). At least it works for a while the. (And for me, until I set the stat manually again).