cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest class action lawsuit

Markinredding
Community Member

Been searching for weeks about why my new nest learning thermostat is showing the wrong temperature, basically rendering the unit as junk.  No - reset and reboot do nothing. Have 4 separate thermometers and they are all showing 68 but the nest is showing 76. even stuck a probe into the wall, same 68 degrees.

Law suit link: https://www.scribd.com/document/214704024/Nest-Class-Action

Markinredding_0-1634590841518.jpeg

8 REPLIES 8

Markinredding
Community Member

Got this nest learning thermostat and have had nothing but issues with it. Main thing is the units room temperature is off close to 10 degree. Completely reset unit a few time along with re boots and the unit is screwed up.

This issue is all over the internet as a prevalent problem and the same moderators keep posting the the same reset or reboot (non working) fix. When the thumbs down out number the up - quit posting those suggestions as they clearly do not work.  I have four separate thermometers and they were all showing 68 degrees, could only hod two but they all read 68. (The upper one in the photo went up from holding it while I was trying to take the picture) Unless someone has a way to calibrate obvious sensors error, this thing is going back as JUNK.

If someone has found outreadingd how to calibrate the faulty sensor readings, please let me know.

Spare me the Reboot - Reset path.

Markinredding_0-1634584773760.jpeg

Same issue. I’m surprised there aren’t more law suits being filed about it’s inadequacy to measure temperature, maintain it, and follow the users inputs. All basic functions of a thermostat. And this isn’t accidental. They don’t just mess up their code or not iterate. This is a deliberate attempt to “save the planet” by forcing consumers to live in uncomfortable conditions. There is no other rational explanation that would make it so that in a world this complex where we have sent a man to the moon, the biggest company in the **bleep**ing world can’t make a **bleep**ing thermostat function to the buyers liking. It’s no accidental and the reviews online are organized in a deceptive manner too. There needs to be accountability and code audits in tech. This is unacceptable behavior again in the technology space.

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Have you contacted the support team to see about getting an RMA for your unit?  If you have already done the standard troubleshooting with no luck, that would be the next step.  Keep in mind this forum is made up of community members, not Google employees, so we can only do so much.  

No, got a replacement and it was junk as well, off 7 degrees. Real Indoor temp was 69 and unit says 76. If I wanted to raise the temp to 70 I would need to set the temp to 77. Sent the replacement back as junk as well. Had the HVAC company look at it and they said the same thing, junk, done messing with the piece of crap.

hurleyrk
Community Member

I am also having the same issue, although I'm not sure how long it's been happening. Fortunately, I have 3 individual nest temperature sensors in addition to the thermostat itself. My work around is to eliminate use of the thermostat temperature sensor and rely only on the three external sensors. It's worth the money to have an external temp sensor rather than junk the how thermostat. I agree, there is something wrong that is common among these units. My first thought would be a software issue that hopefully an update could fix. 

hurleyrk
Community Member

I replied to another post with this information. A work around is to use one of the separate Nest temp sensors. That's what I'm doing as I have three sensors in addition to the thermostat itself. My hope is that if Nest/Google reads this that they will take a look at the last software update. My unit updated on October 26 and I don't recall seeing this issue before then. I haven't had the need for A/C since before that date and since I have three additional sensors, I use those for control as they are placed in more relevant locations rather than the thermostat which is in a hallway. This issue also seems to coincide with the dates of some of these posts. Rolling back the software revision might be an easy fix until the bug is determined. 

Mine is showing less drastic difference in temperature but regardless reads about 1.5 degrees celcius higher than two other thermometers in the house. 

This seems to be the first year after 4 years of having the best gen3 that this is an issue.  Seems the last update in October 2021 could be to blame (although the OP is from just days before the update )

TeamPlayer
Community Member

Google bought and then destroyed Nest.