cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat won't connect to app

Bob3
Community Member

My 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat won't connect to the app. Everything else is good, including Wi-Fi. I tried both the QR code and the entry key. The QR code tries to connect then goes to an error. The entry key hangs and does nothing.

1 Recommended Answer

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

View Recommended Answer in original post

220 REPLIES 220

Kev1
Community Member

I was having a similar issue with a 3rd generation learning thermostat when installing a second one in a new location (different address miles away).  I followed all the steps in the app but could not connect. I kept getting the TD030 error. Then when watching the attempted connection process in the app I noticed the animation was suggesting communication to my first thermostat. The error said it could not connect to the assisting device. The solution was that I needed to create a second home in the app, which I just didn't realize was part of the hierarchy. After doing that, the new thermostat was quick to add within the new home. 

msane1
Community Member
Thanks Kev1. I will try that. 
For now I had to use separate google accounts and switch between them to access one or the other Nest thermostat 

Bbelch
Community Member

Tried all of the above. Migrated to google, used google app instead of Nest, 2 g thing, reset and reboot, set up new home, etc etc etc. Still not working...Wifi working fine, all on same network. 

What is an assist? Is that something separate that I don't have?

Thanks 

Yours in incredible frustration!!!!

Stevew89
Community Member

You may be able to reset your thermostat’s Works with Nest connection. This option is available for Nest thermostats in the US and Canada

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

Resetting the WWN connection worked for me!  Thanks for the tip!👍

That's all fine and good; and I've done all that.  My thermostat just WILL NOT connect to my wifi - on neither the 5GHz NOR the 2.4GHz.

I have gone so far as a complete factory reset on the thermostat, deleting the Nest App from my iPhone, reinstalled the app.

I have tried setting the nest thermostat up through the bluetooth connection.  No joy on connecting to wifi.  It was also able to see my two networks, but in both cases, when I manually enter the password on the Nest screen, it wouldn't connect.  It couldn't see my networks from my phone.

I'm about ready to throw the thing through my window.

Kev1
Community Member

I did all of my work in the Nest app. 

When I was trying to add a second thermostat in a home which already had one set up, the Nest app insinuated that it was trying to communicate with the "assist device" which I believe was the first thermostat. In other words I think the app may be able to streamline the setup of a second thermostat in a given house once you have one properly configured. If you are setting up the first device, there would not be an "assist device" nor would you need one. 

geresespina
Community Member

Just finished setting up my Nest. Similar issue. Initial setup, tried connecting to app but unable to connect to WiFi. However, I set up the WiFi connection manually via the Nest itself and it connect just fine. Not sure how to resolve this issue or how I can connect the Nest to my app...

Stevew89
Community Member

You may be able to reset your thermostat’s Works with Nest connection. This option is available for Nest thermostats in the US and Canada

Hope that helps

Thank you once again Stevew89!  I just had to re-do this AGAIN...Still can't get ALEXA to get this one, but I will succeed her one of these days!!!  This time I saved your answer for future, or I should say FROM future headaches!!!  Thank you!

Basehordad
Community Member

Followed all of the steps and thought this was resolving the issue however within the App it still says the device is offline.  Confirmed WiFi connected which it is.  I have completed a total reset and have wasted numerous hours in this issue.  Beyond frustrating.  Any other suggestions.

msane1
Community Member

try using 2.4 G (not 5G) for Wi-Fi

YCb
Community Member

I brought 2 learning thermostats could only connect 1 to the nest app.  After multiple attempts to add the 2nd device I called nest customer service. Because there is a 2 year warranty on the device I was sent a replacement. Replaced the thermostat and  still could not add to nest app. I went into settings on my phone went into cellular data for the nest app add and took it off. Problem was solved. It allowed me to add using my home wifi only.   Good luck 

Alkijimmy
Community Member

Really appreciate all who have posted.  

I have 4 nest each connected to my 4 zones of my radiant floor system.  First 3 were a breeze, last one could never connect no matter how many frustrating hours / resets / wifi changes I put into it.  

Read this thread.  Deleted all from the app, started with the stubborn one and viola - all are connected.  

Now my issue revolves around the thermostat calling for heat, yet the system not sending it. I know the boiler works and I know the floors work as when I tie the RH and W1 together - the floor heats up.  We have two Taco devices that interface with our Viessman boiler.  Anyone have any ideas how I can get these to function properly?  A couple of them have worked at different times.  Any tricks?  

Thank you so much,

James

Kanti
Community Member

Unable to start google home app with thermostat 

Lyhost
Community Member

What app are you referring to so I can be sure that I have correct one

rootiment
Community Member

The Nest app on my iPhone.

run4priz
Community Member

Glad to have found this thread. Switched off of google mesh back AT&T router then connecting the apps to nest acct worked for me. 3gen thermostat…ridiculous!!

somir1
Community Member

So I am having a similar issue so I installed my nest learning thermostat 3rd gen then when I tried to install my nest door bell it won't connect. The doorbell connected after I removed the thermostat then when I tried to setup thermostat again it won't connect. From what I noticed it won't communicate with the door bell. The error code with the thermostat is td014 and all my devices are on my 2.4 network. Only simple fix I did is have my doorbell and nest cameras on one house and added another house on my account for the thermostat by itself. I reset both the door bell and camera multiple times but no luck. Please anyone have any advice.

kocoach
Community Member

These guys at NEST are IDIOTS. This app stops working on the internet and I've been dealing with these JERKS for years with no results.  You never know when the app is going to work or not, during the winter i freeze because it stops functioning. I have tried to get this issue resolved by contacting the better business bureau and the federal trade comission but these PUNKS refuse to take responsibility and acknowledge that their internet app has BIG problems instead they blame everything including else including me. I'd love to catch these INCOMPETENT PUNKS on the street one day. This is what happens when GOOGLE takes over NEST. I'm getting ready to SUE the crap out of GOOGLE  for advertising a product that doesn't work as advertised. I also have used about a dozen different browsers and it stops working on all of them. Hope this helps. 

Tdmartin
Community Member

I received a replacement nest when the wifi on my original went down. I had to connect to internet before connecting to the app and then disconnect the original or I was getting the same error. It did not prompt to do so. 

PBubbli
Community Member

I had this issue also and after contacting google their suggestion was to create a new home and go through the install process again. This worked for me

JMcLaughlin
Community Member

My phone can no longer connect to my thermostat for me to control my temperature when I am not home. Please provide me with a number I can call to get assistance. I can be reached at 773-791-2889 after 4:30 pm.

+1-855-469-6378

YCb
Community Member

Hi 

the number I called was (855) 469-6378.  

KJRob
Community Member

I have done everything that people have suggested and yet nothing works. As soon as I scan the QR code, the app immediately says “Something is wrong.”  I actually went out and bought another Nest and tried it and the same thing happened.  I thought it might be the battery and charged it before installing but still get the same message. So frustrating. 

ryand75
Community Member

I was attempting to install my 3rd Nest and had this trouble. After trying several of these fixes, the one that worked had to do with the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz wifI issue. I have Google Wifi and could not figure out how to turn off 5Ghz so that my phone would be forced onto the 2.4Ghz network. Instead, I unplugged the wifi access point closest to my Nest (and phone) which forced my phone to connect to an access point further away. The hope was that it would connect via 2.4, as required for this install. It worked. As soon as it installed to my Nest account, I plugged in the closet access point and everything is working as designed. 

i tried other fixes a total of 5-6 times (very frustrating), but this one worked. It is odd that this solution was not easily identified on the Google site. Other comments in this thread pointed it out. Thanks to those who shared this solution.

jayd12
Community Member

I had the same issue for few months (tried every troubleshooting steps from the Nest playbook and it was frustrating), and noticed that disconnecting the Nest from the base, then going to settings on the thermostat showed “Battery Low” (don’t remember but something similar) and replacing the battery on the Nest Thermostat did the charm.

Turns out the battery on the thermostat needs to be replaced every 2-3 years, not mentioned anywhere but I bought the battery from IFIXIT (coz Google doesn’t sell it) and I was able to connect it to the app as soon as I replaced the battery. As far as the warranty on the Nest goes, it’ll be over by the time you get to this point.

Btw, IFIXIT has a tutorial on how the replace the battery. 

Omar67
Community Member

I’m having the same problem, we’ve been in this home, almost 2 years and everything was working fine and all of a sudden it took a dump, I tried to merge the account and had no luck, so I deleted my Google account and created a new one, I tried to do forgot my password, but I never received the link to reset it, I am a HVAC contractor and been installing these for years, this is the first time I had problems 

Omar67
Community Member

I was having the same problem as everyone else, I finally got a guy bye going through the nest.com on my computer and put in my information for them to call me, he called immediately, I had 1 of 4 nest thermostats working, He had me to remove that stat from the home app, then go to reset, and reset ALL SETTINGS, this will take it back to the factory settings when you first got it, it also removes all the other crap, once it has been reset, click on add device and you should be able to add your thermostats back, I also had to shut off my phone and power it back on, but it worked for me and were back up and operating, I don't understand what happened, its been working fine for almost two years, I am a licensed HVAC contractor and have never had a problem installing them until now, best of luck guys/gals.

varnellstx
Community Member

None of these options seem to work for me. I have been a Nest fan from the beginning but I am going back to a regular thermostat because I can't get any real tech support. Google you ruined Nest!!!

I created a new google account because at a certain time if you didn't merge your Nest account to your google account it went offline, we've been getting the warnings for years, but we all ignored then; create a new google account if you don't already have one and then, reset your thermostat to the factory settings, when you click on reset, then go down to all settings, it will erase everything and then you start all over

mrwedge
Community Member

is there an easier way to get CR code then to remove thermostat?

gypsyldy
Community Member

I did find it another way, but I honestly can not recall where I found it!!!!  Mine is easy to remove from the wall...but I think it was you that pasted SteveW's instructions before, and he advised just bypass the QR scanning, and go directly to Entry Key.  I don't know if this helps...All I know is I don't use the QR anymore, at all!  

mckaykillpack
Community Member

I'm experiencing the same issue.  After years of it working fine.  I deleted and reinstalled nest app, restarted nest thermostat, disconnected then reconnected it to the wifi, checked for updates on phone and nest, even ran a c wire to the nest to try and fix the issue but nothing helps.

Omar67
Community Member

I was having that problem, I reset them back to factory settings and then was able to re install them

gypsyldy
Community Member

I did that a few times, still didn't work...I've learned from Steve here, to bypass the QR code, and just use the Entry Key number!  Ugh!  Finally, got it reconnected to Alexa also!  Happy now!

Omar67
Community Member

that's good, I did it that way too, but after I reset it to factory settings I couldn't get it to work, glad you got it though 

I took off the face like instructions said & there’s no 4 digit code?! Where did you all find the 4 digits? 

Omar67
Community Member

When you reset it make sure you go down to all data, if you have fat fingers, like me, make sure your putting in the password correctly