cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest thermostat won't connect to app

Bob3
Community Member

My 3rd generation Nest Learning Thermostat won't connect to the app. Everything else is good, including Wi-Fi. I tried both the QR code and the entry key. The QR code tries to connect then goes to an error. The entry key hangs and does nothing.

1 Recommended Answer

gypsyldy
Community Member

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

View Recommended Answer in original post

220 REPLIES 220

Dina1
Community Member

Need help I’ve wasted three hours and nothing is working. It has been hooked up to my app for years and just decided to quit I cannot get it back on, keep saying it’s already hooked up

mrwedge
Community Member

Had to hire HVAC tech who fixed it. May need to hire again after Nest software update as Its no longer controllable with IPhone🤬

I also have been wasting my entire day trying to get my nest app on my phone to interact with my thermostat!! I’m about to scream, this is insane.

Do you have multiple Nest thermostats or devices?

No I don’t, just one thermostat in my house and my phone has the nest app. 

Look at SteveW89's solution below.  Delete the thermostat from the app, follow his steps (reset the WWN), and then re-add the thermostat to the app.

DoninAZ
Community Member

That’s the solution that I also used and it worked perfectly 😁

Hire HVAC technician 

mrwedge
Community Member

I have same problem..after Nest software update I no longer can control thermostat from cell phones

That didn't work for me.

What is a WWN????

This is a paste of @Stevew89 post, since you can't locate it.  This worked for many folks, including me.

1.) Remove your thermostat from the Nest app. Tap your thermostat on the Nest app home screen, then tap Settings. Scroll down and select Remove thermostat.
2.) On your thermostat, go to Settings and then Reset and then WWN Connection.
3.) Select Reset and confirm that you want to reset. Your thermostat will restart.
4.) Go to Settings and then Network and reconnect your thermostat to Wi-Fi
5.) Go to Settings and then Nest app and get the entry key.
6.) Start the Nest thermostat installation flow again. On the Nest app home screen tap Settings and then Add product. Choose your thermostat and select Already installed to skip ahead to the entry key step. Type in the entry key you see on the thermostat screen.

mcantey
Community Member

Thank you so much. Wasted 4 hours over two days trying to get thermostat connect to no avail and this solution finally fixed it.  

GotKnox
Community Member

I have tried everything! Where the heck is google support. I have wasted hours on trying to connect app to thermostat. It was working fine 

Omar67
Community Member

since google bought out nest, they have been telling us to merge our nest accounts to google, but nobody paid it any attention; I’m glad I could help 

KevinInTx
Community Member

The above steps worked for me.  My Nest was never added to the app, so I skipped step 1.  This was a second thermostat for my app at a second home.  Everything works fine now.  Thanks for this post!

Wheels
Community Member

After hours of trying to connect my 3rd Nest E following the on-screen instructions, resetting it multiple times, I came across your solution. Resetting the WWN connection and getting the key connected it right away. I don't understand why this one was a problem since setting up the 2 previous thermostats a few years ago went very smoothly. Thanks for the solution.

RDQ06
Community Member

What is WWN?

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

WWN is Works with nest 

AndiP
Community Member

THANK YOU!  after spending countless hours for days trying to get it to connect, this solution worked. 

Wiserblond
Community Member

This fixed it!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I wasted 3 hours trying to troubleshoot this. I have two Nest thermostats and had to replace one of them and it refused to connect to the app. 

dak718
Community Member

This worked! Thank you!

martiro7
Community Member

Thank-you so much! Clearly, obtaining a new Entry Code is the key to success. I've been struggling with that stupid Nest Assistant nonsense for 3 days, and ten minutes with this method cured all my ills. Thumbs Up!

ASzaf
Community Member

I believe the solution is from resetting the WWN (working with nest) which is how the devices communicate with each other.  Somehow they get confused, even if they have been working fine for months / years, and re-initializing is the answer.  I'm glad that this has been working for so many folks.

YES!!  That happened to me too this time....!  I figured the Entry Key was something that remained the same!  NOPE!!!  Lol...So many hours spent trying to rectify this issue!

Shoreh
Community Member

This did not work for me. Shows high connection to network on the Device and won’t connect to App

i followed the same procedures for another device in our house and it connected fine

patkind
Community Member

Ive done all this and it still does not connect to the app. I had a Nest which did not have enough power but worked with the app but not manually. So I just bought the recommended Nest Learning Gen 3 thermostat which I can work manually but does not connect to the NEST app even after following all the suggested steps above about 4 times.  It has never connected to my phone app. UGH!

Works With Nest 

Omar67
Community Member

create a google account 

works with nest

Works With Nest

Hey ilbound,

Did you have any luck solving the problem with your thermostats?  I had the exact same issue.  Bought 3 stats, first installed with no issue, connected to wifi and the Nest app.....following 2 devices gave me the same TD030 error.  Tried everything you tried.   Hope you found a solution and can share,

Thanks

i have the same problem.

I FOUND THE ANSWER after speaking with nest app support.

You CAN NOT do the install on a 5GH network.     Temporarily connect your thermostat to you 2.4 GH network set it up then you can change your phone/app back to the 5GH  network.

I have an ORBI set-up which I do not believe has a means to disable the 5GH network.  Anyone have a work around for this?    

Ashepherdson
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

You should be able to disable it by Advanced > Advanced Setup > Options will be there to enable/disable 2.4 and 5

DJZ
Community Member

Can’t find advanced in the app

rblais
Community Member

Thank you so much, this fixed the problem.  I should have known since most IoT devices don't like/can't be on 5G Networks.

DJZ
Community Member

My problem just occurred and has always worked on a 5 GHz network

????