cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New home consistent power issues

ARSmith
Community Member

Hi - I just moved into my home and replaced all batteries in our nest thermostats. I reset everything to factory settings and things were working fine. They all set up fine, however they continually say “low power” and the error code that’s generated took me to a page that suggested needing a c-wire or a nest power connector. I have a really hard time thinking that the previous owners of the home had this same issue. Given that we don’t have a c wire and I don’t see a nest power connector, are there any other possible problems and/or solutions for this issue? I’ve been getting so frustrated to deal with this that I’m almost considering getting a traditional thermostat because this product doesn’t seem worth it. 

1 Recommended Answer

If that works, hopefully the batteries will be leaking so slowly in conjunction to the weak charging process that “once is a while” will be rare enough not to occasion inconvenience. Otherwise yes you will need a C wire or a C wire adapter. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

is this the nest thermostat with the mirrored face place? Why did you replace the batteries in the first place?

Yes mirrored face. When we first moved in a few weeks ago, the thermostat read that there was a low battery, so I replaced them. 

laurentbourg
Bronze
Bronze

Ok. It is possible that without the C wire your system has limited charging capabilities, it can maintain the charge but not provide a good charge from scratch. Pull out the display units from their wiring base and you should see a micro usb on the back, try charging them for a few hours and put them back on the wall. Then monitor the battery from the google home app in the settings, device info section. 

Will do- appreciate it! If this works, that would just be a necessary thing to do every once in awhile? If that isn’t helpful, a cwire would likely be needed, right?

If that works, hopefully the batteries will be leaking so slowly in conjunction to the weak charging process that “once is a while” will be rare enough not to occasion inconvenience. Otherwise yes you will need a C wire or a C wire adapter.