cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

nest thermostat wiring

boode91
Community Member

w1 and w2 are tied up together on 1 wire on the furnace board. how do i manage the cables on the thermostat. I've attached pictures of how I've had it set up right now. and I'm sure I have 2 stage heating

20211231_122123.jpg

Screenshot_20211229-140044_Nest.jpg

1 Recommended Answer

boode91
Community Member

John, Thanks for the response. I already ordered an 18/7 thermostat wire at amazon. wanted an extra wire just in case. Thanks for your help!

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

johnCNA
Bronze
Bronze

It's obvious that your previous thermostat and your thermostat wiring did not support 2 stage heating even though your furnace controller board does.  W1=Stage 1, and W2=Stage 2.  Your thermostat wiring only has 5 wires.  In order to support 2 stage heating, you'll need to replace your thermostat wire with a 6 wire bundle instead.  You would then remove the jumper between W1 and W2 and run separate connections to W1 and W2 on the Nest and W1 and W2 on the furnace.  These wiring packages are readily available at Home Depot, etc.  It's not very hard to pull the new wire through.  The wires are not usually stapled inside the wall cavity.

boode91
Community Member

John, Thanks for the response. I already ordered an 18/7 thermostat wire at amazon. wanted an extra wire just in case. Thanks for your help!

Nikopan
Community Member

EBF1E968-7908-4105-8C04-8E2794C638CA.jpeg

Nikopan
Community Member

I need help wiring this system