cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Connecting Google WiFi to Outdoor AP

SaltyJ
Community Member

Hello! I am currently running a Google WiFi (gen 1) mesh network in my home. My ISP is Starlink and the Starlink modem is connected to a Google WiFi router via the WAN port. The LAN port on the Google WiFi router is connected to an 8-port unmanaged TP-Link switch. The mesh network consists of six other Google WiFi pucks in AP mode. Some have a wired backhaul to the TP-Link switch, some have a wireless backhaul. I have to use mulitple APs and mixed wired/wireless connections as the house is large and has concrete walls. This setup is very stable and has worked well for over two years.

I have a patio area about 150 feet from the house. I would like to add an outdoor AP near the patio so mobile devices and a Sonos speaker can get a WiFi signal. As Google doesn't make an outdoor AP, I purchased a TP-LINK EAP225 outdoor AP that I wanted to connect to the switch in the house via a direct bury Ethernet cable. The TP-Link EAP has a POE injector that powers the AP.

When I connected the EAP225 to my switch, it does power up and begin broadcasting its factory set SSID. However, when I try connecting to the AP, it can't get Internet access as the Google WiFi router isn't assigning it an IP address. The Google WiFi community on Reddit has a post that says a similar network setup is working fine. Here's the link: 

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleWiFi/comments/g66r4a/question_on_extending_google_wi_fi_mesh_to_my/

Curious as to why that setup is working while mine is not. Can anyone at Google provide some input? I chatted with Google WiFi support previously (case 8-3014000034555) and was told "contact your ISP since .. the access point is trying to get an IP address directly from the ISP not from the Google Wifi router." I called Google support a couple weeks later to discuss this, but was then told that the EAP225 would not work with the Google WiFi.

Can I get a definitive answer from Google about whether this is possible or not? Also, will Google ever make an AP rated for outdoor use?

ISP/modem: Starlink (gen 1)

Router: Google WiFi model GJ2CQ

Switch: TP-Link TL-SG108

4 REPLIES 4

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

It should work. Maybe you'll have to tell the TP-Link AP what subnet address (IP) to use? Maybe it defaults to 192.168.0.0/24, while Google Nest Wifi uses 192.168.86.0/24 by default?

If you connect to the factory default SSID of the TP-Link AP, are you able to access its' admin web GUI and take a look?

I don't work for Google.

SaltyJ
Community Member

Thanks, Olbarb! The problem is I can't even access the APs admin page because it isn't being assigned an IP address. Even when AP is connected to a laptop ethernet port, I still can't access the AP's admin page. The AP documentation says it has a default IP address, but when I try to access it I can't.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Sounds like an issue with the AP then?

Maybe factory reset it, don't connect it to the switch or Nest Wifi after that. Then connect to it and see?

Maybe you have to set static IP on your computer, that's sometimes required.

If you get into it, upgrade its' firmware and hope that it irons out some problems.

I don't work for Google.

SaltyJ
Community Member

Forgot to say that yes, I can connect to the AP's SSID but if it doesn't get assigned an IP address, I can't get internet access or access its admin page