cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently have 1 router and 2 points and wanting to add 2 more points

ShaunW01
Community Member

Can I buy a 2nd router and 1 extra point and use the 2nd router as a Point ? Therefore having 1 Main router and 4 points ? 

Also ive noticed in one of the spare bedrooms where i was going to place a point, there is an Ethernet connection in the wall... can i plug into that with the 2nd router and improve the performance ? or better to not and just leave it as a standard wifi point

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello  @ShaunW01 

Yes, you can use another Nest WiFi Router as a point. I would just caution that more points isn't always better – first make sure you follow the optimal placement guidelines for what you already have. That's putting the current primary/router Nest WiFi Router unit in the center of your home with secondary/point units one or two rooms away from there in any direction. Watch for interferers like sound bars that support wireless surround or subwoofer speakers. 

As for wiring that new Nest WiFi Router unit, yes, you can do that, too. But, it must be connected to a network that is rooted in the primary/router Nest WiFi Router unit's LAN Ethernet port. You can't connect it to the outer network your primary/router Nest WiFi Router unit's WAN Ethernet port is connected to. If you use any Ethernet switches, make sure they don't have loop detection enabled (inexpensive unmanaged switches should be fine – it's the more expensive smart/managed switches to be careful of).

Also keep in mind wired secondaries do not extend the wireless mesh to other wireless-only secondaries.

But, yes, if you can arrange to connect a secondary Nest WiFi Router unit to the primary via Ethernet, it will provide good performance for clients in that area. 

View Recommended Answer in original post

10 REPLIES 10

ShaunW01
Community Member

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello  @ShaunW01 

Yes, you can use another Nest WiFi Router as a point. I would just caution that more points isn't always better – first make sure you follow the optimal placement guidelines for what you already have. That's putting the current primary/router Nest WiFi Router unit in the center of your home with secondary/point units one or two rooms away from there in any direction. Watch for interferers like sound bars that support wireless surround or subwoofer speakers. 

As for wiring that new Nest WiFi Router unit, yes, you can do that, too. But, it must be connected to a network that is rooted in the primary/router Nest WiFi Router unit's LAN Ethernet port. You can't connect it to the outer network your primary/router Nest WiFi Router unit's WAN Ethernet port is connected to. If you use any Ethernet switches, make sure they don't have loop detection enabled (inexpensive unmanaged switches should be fine – it's the more expensive smart/managed switches to be careful of).

Also keep in mind wired secondaries do not extend the wireless mesh to other wireless-only secondaries.

But, yes, if you can arrange to connect a secondary Nest WiFi Router unit to the primary via Ethernet, it will provide good performance for clients in that area. 

@MichaelP  thanks so much i will give it a go and let you know.. currently have the 2nd router plugged in to ethernet and power but router is displaying a solid yellow light. Ive held down the button for ages with no change - i thought that would reset it

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Are you sure the new secondary is connected to the inner network created by the primary and not the outer network? I also recommend getting it set up and working as a wireless secondary first before connecting it via Ethernet. If you have done that, then I would also try connecting it directly to the primary with a short cable in the same room just as a test. If that works, then moving it to the other room will help you understand where the connection issue may be. 

ShaunW01
Community Member

I have got it all set up now ! I didnt see this before i did it but it seems to be working perfectly - should i still test out the ethernet cable? 

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Yay! If it's working now, no need to run the cable test. 

Thanks @MichaelP - the cable is in but i dont know if its actually doing anything and may be connected wirelessly anyway but anyway, its working and thats good

ShaunW01
Community Member

@MichaelP - any chance you would have some advice on getting better speeds on my google mesh network with Starlink. If i go in our office where the starlink router and the google router is, i connect to Starlink and im getting 150mbps download.. connect to the google mesh network in the same room and it drops to 50mbps. Thought the switch could be old so we connected a laptop directly into the switch and it gives 150mbps so has to be the mesh network? 

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

I have no experience with Starlink. I would be cautious about placing your Nest WiFi Router unit too close to it. If you want to isolate potential sources of problems, simplify the configuration, if only as a test: connect the Nest WiFi Router unit's WAN port to your internet service (the Starlink Ethernet), disconnect any Ethernet switch from the Nest WiFi Router unit's LAN port, and power off any secondary/point Google/Nest units. Then, run a device speed test for a WiFi client device connected to the Nest WiFi network using the Google Home app. This will test only the WiFi link between the device and the Nest WiFi Router. After that, run some kind of end-to-end internet performance test. The difference between these two tests should help you understand what the WiFi link is capable of, and what your internet service is capable of.

After that, connect a computer or laptop to the Nest WiFi Router unit's LAN port and run an end-to-end internet performance test. This will help isolate any issues to the non-WiFi links in the system.

If those tests all show expected numbers, then start adding pieces back in one at a time, repeating tests in between each change to verify things are still working.

That's how I'd go about diagnosing issues in a system like this myself, at least. Good luck!

Rwreitzel
Community Member

No help whatsoever