cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Home shows odd WAN IP address

MikeyInCVCA
Community Member

I've been using Nest Wi-Fi for six days now, and I see a positive difference in my Internet service. I'm getting far fewer dropouts and truncated downloads.

I'm seeing a weird situation, however. When I look in the Google Home app, it says my WAN IP address is 192.168.100.10. However, whatismyip.com shows my public IP is 72.132.xxx.xxx (actual digits masked by me).

Why would the Nest Wi-Fi show an IP address in a private address range?

The Nest router is plugged directly into the Spectrum cable modem. The previous time I checked the Google Home app, it showed a 72.132.xxx.xxx address.

Also, since I have IPv6 enabled, I would think the app would show the IPv6 WAN address.

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @MikeyInCVCA 

From what I can tell, that device (the E31T2V1) is a modem only (not a combination modem+router+firewall+WiFi), so it should not be causing this issue. That doesn't explain what happened, but since Nest WiFi Router gets its WAN IP address assigned by whatever is upstream, this feels like something Spectrum did (and fixed), at least to me. Since it's now back on the proper IP address, I think I'd keep an eye on it and hope Spectrum continues working properly.

View Recommended Answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @MikeyInCVCA 

It sounds like your cable modem is also a router (and firewall) that is creating a private network that your Nest WiFi Router is getting that private IP address from. The fact that this changed may indicate that your modem+router was, at one point, in "bridge" mode (which disables the router+firewall feature, putting your Nest WiFi Router directly on the internet where it can get a public IPv4 address and IPv6 prefix delegation). I would check on that modem+router to see if you can get it back into bridge mode.

Thanks for the input, MichaelP!

I dug around to find any information I can on the modem (Spectrum model E31T2V1), and none of the information I can find discusses bridge mode. Apparently, I can log into the modem from the internal network by going to 192.168.0.1, but I don't see a way to do that going through the Google mesh network. I would get a lot of grief from the household (and its devices 🙄) if I were to disconnect Wi-Fi for more than a few seconds.

As well, while several of the search results discussed going to that IP address to log in, none gave any details of what I'd be able to configure once I'd logged in.

Weirdly, today, the Google Home app is reporting a WAN IP addres of 72.132.xxx.xxx, matching what whatismyip.com reports. 

So I guess I have to figure out whether Spectrum is toggling the modem's mode or if the Nest Wi-Fi router is getting confused. Or both. <shrug>

Thanks again for the input. If I get any further information, I'll share it. ...cheers! -m

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @MikeyInCVCA 

From what I can tell, that device (the E31T2V1) is a modem only (not a combination modem+router+firewall+WiFi), so it should not be causing this issue. That doesn't explain what happened, but since Nest WiFi Router gets its WAN IP address assigned by whatever is upstream, this feels like something Spectrum did (and fixed), at least to me. Since it's now back on the proper IP address, I think I'd keep an eye on it and hope Spectrum continues working properly.

Thanks, @MichaelP. That's what I plan to do. I also left feedback through the Home app to suggest to the developers that the WAN connection page provide more information than just the WAN IP address. I'm thinking the same info as one gets through an IPCONFIG command on Windows or *nix....

Hey folks, 

Thanks again for helping here, @MichaelP
@MikeyInCVCA, I hope you've got the answer you're looking for. If you're still in need of any assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Best,
Mel

I think so, Mel. I haven't seen the "private address" as my WAN IP address for a while, so I'm guessing it was an anomaly in Spectrum's circuits.

Hi MikeyInCVCA, 

Awesome — glad to hear that and thanks for getting back to us. It looks like we can consider this one complete, so I will lock the thread shortly unless I can help out with anything else. 

Cheers, 
Mel