cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Wifi Router unable to acquire IPv6 - How to set up prefix delegation?

Yoms
Community Member

Hi,

I have 1 Google Nest Wifi Router + 2 access points. The mesh network has been configured and is working OK in IPv4. But I need to use IPv6 because an application depends on it (OQEE app by French ISP "Free").

The issue I face is that my Google Nest Wifi Router is unable to acquire an IPv6 prefix.

• The Nest router is connected to my ISP's router via RJ45/Ethernet
  • My ISP's router (Freebox Mini) runs in "Bridge" mode, so it's basically just a modem now
  • My ISP's router allows enabling/disabling DHCPv6 (I tried both)
  • The IPv6 option is enabled in my Google Home app's advanced settings
  • This issue is related to my local network, not the guest's

I’ve read that Google WiFi needs to get an IPv6 prefix delegation from my ISP's router. Is that something I have to configure manually? Or is it something that should have been done automatically?

In my ISP's router (Freebox Mini) configuration page, I can:

• Enable/Disable the IPv6 firewall
  • Enable/Disable DHCPv6  (as mentioned above)
  • Force the use of DNS IPv6 servers
  • Configure IPv6 prefix delegation (a prefix is displayed and below I can configure a Next Hop so that the Nest Wifi Router manages this subnet - If I understood correctly)

Could you please walk me through this so that I may configure the IPv6 prefix delegation and get IPv6 working properly on my network?

Thanks.

Kind regards,

56 REPLIES 56

epyon9283
Community Member

IPv6 seems really broken on the wifi pro for me. I had to reboot the network 3 or 4 times to get v6 IPs. I tried factory resetting and wasn't getting v6 IPs. Waited overnight and they were there in the morning. Just this evening (less than a day after factory resetting) all my devices disconnected from wifi for a few moments and when they reconnected nothing had IPv6 IPs any more. 

I'd just leave IPv6 disabled but I need it occasionally to test stuff for my job.  It worked fine on my old Asus router. 

Mishka-Senpai
Community Member

I can confirm having this issue. If your isp router is plugged in and sending signal to this then it won’t work. But if you are able to get rid of your isp router then ipv6 works. Or if you plug in the isp router after this so it’s receiving it’s data line from the nest. 

Samir_O
Community Member

Same here... IPv6 activated but Chromecast 4K on IPv4

Why no answer from Google ?

The only way I got this to work was to remove the isp router and only use the nest router. It wouldn’t play nice with getting second hand info. 

also some legacy devices don’t work on ipv6 or some cheaper versions. It gives them a reason to offer “faster connection” on the upgraded version of it. 

That’s wrong, I have 3 different modems which are ONLY modems, and none of them no matter the configuration will allow IPv6 to work with Google’s WiFi routers, but every one of them allow it to work perfectly fine on Eero Pro 6. It is purely a fault with Google’s devices.

I can confirm having this issue. If your isp router is plugged in and sending signal to this then it won’t work. But if you are able to get rid of your isp router then ipv6 works

MikeDoent
Community Member

The funny thing is that the Nvidia shield can disable IPv6 use and if I do it, then I got IPv6 instead of ipv4.... Maybe an upgrade of Android tv an help too.

But it seems that nobody from Google will answer us 

Samir_O
Community Member

Google ?? Anyone here to help us ?

JMi1
Community Member

I am forced to use isp's router, they won't let me bypass it.

So I'm forced to choose between a good WiFi signal (Google) but on IPv4, or a bad WiFi with IPv6 working (ISP's router). After so many years of waiting for IPv6 improvements... this is ridiculous.

MarkyR74
Community Member

Hi, I got a new 3 pack Google WiFi Pro today, set it all up and I have no IPV6, it's turned on but nothing. I may very well send it back. I guess the issue still remains with the software. I have a fixed IPV6 address (native /48) from my ISP and they provide a prefix too.

MikeDoent
Community Member

We have no answers from Google since a long time here. Some time on boot I do have a IPv6 adress but it doesn't last long. If you need an IPv6 adress then send you're kit back... Sorry

MarkyR74
Community Member

Well, I had a bit more of a play today to discover my Xbox Series X wouldn’t work properly on the Google WiFi Pro, it so t get a NAT status, turned off IPV6 and WPA3 and it was the same. Plugged my Eero Pro 6 back on, no change of settings or power cycling the modem and the Xbox instantly worked again and I got IPV6. Not good Google not good. This is meant to be a simple plug and play system.

I got it from Amazon so will probably just return it.

MarkyR74
Community Member

This is daft, so with the new Google WiFi Pro, my Xbox Series X doesn't work, get a NAT, when connected in WiFi, but works fun using Ethernet. That's just ridiculous. How can it work on Ethernet but not WiFi? The Xbox works fine with my older Eero 6 Pro.

JMi1
Community Member

I used it for months now (can't change & don't want to return). It's better than my ISPs router (worst thing ever), but I got some Wi-Fi problems too often. I think I could give it a 6/10 review, thanks to UI & simplicity.

MarkyR74
Community Member

I'm going to test the Google WiFi Pro for longer. Its wireless backbone is very good. It gives faster performance and speeds than my Eero Pro 6, and pings in games are slightly better too. 
I have had to connect my Xbox via Ethernet cable though (I did do speed tests in WiFi), as the NAT is very intermittent on WiFi. But it's connected to the second node which is using the wireless backbone.

Shame IPV6 doesn't work at all, it works fine on my Eero.

Edit 2: ok so today I had to turn off WPA3 as my 4K Fire TV stick didn’t like it, I never had an issue with that on my OG Google WiFi or Eero Pro 6, only an issue with Google WiFi Pro. And disabling that seemed to allow the Series X to get a Nat too, so it is another bug in the Pro WiFi. But the pings on my Series X on wireless are about 159ms, using Ethernet they are around 48ms, on Eero they are 28ms.. 

I can’t make head or tales of this new Google WiFi Pro system, it seems to be very buggy, plus IPV6 still doesn’t work on it. It’s incompatible with devices that older Google WiFi works perfectly fine with?

MarkyR74
Community Member

Out of interest, has anyone here not had IPV6 working with an ISP that uses DHCP connections? Like a fibre connection where you plug the router using an Ethernet cable into the box on the wall from your provider?

ojanguren5
Community Member

Same issue, My ISP activated IPV6 3 months, I see I have both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses but I can not navigate through IPV6, just IPV4.

Come on google!! You should be able to solve this *with a blink of an eye*