cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google Nest Wifi - Unable to reconnect after power failure

DGU
Community Member

Google Nest Router is unable to reconnect to the internet after a power failure. This is extremely frustrating and time consuming to fix.

1. Google Nest Wifi router is unable to reconnect by itself to internet after a power failure. Although, to be fair, once when I was on vacations for several weeks, I noticed that Google Nest Wifi router re-connected to the internet by itself after about one week. This is not so great when we have several Nest cameras and we pay for a Nest Aware subscription to record while we are away. 

2. I have tried everything I could find to have Google Nest Wifi router reconnect to the internet when I am at home. Switch off everything… Wait… Reconnect internet modem…. Wait… Reconnect Google Nest Wifi router… Wait… It is never able to reconnect. At one point, I even contacted my internet provider to enquire if the problem could be on their side. They confirm that the internet was fine , and I validated by connecting a computer with an ethernet cable directly to the internet modem. The problem is with Google Nest Wifi router…

3. This is extremely frustrating… It take me easily 1 to 2 hours to get Google Nest Wifi router to reconnect to the internet. The only option that works is to factory reset the device (each time the power goes off). And even that is not trivial. Your Google Home App often fails to connect to the devices, display some visual indications that it is “working” only to display a few minutes later that it cannot connect (“Problem connecting”).

In summary:

The Google Nest Wifi router and its two Nest Wifi points work great long as there is power. But after a power failure, it becomes a nightmare, as only a factory reset solves the problem and even that is non-trivial and very time consuming (lots of failure to connect). To me, this looks like a software issue. Don’t you fix issues and provide software updates for your router? I looked around the web and I don’t seem to be the only one experiencing those issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/qy1ojl/nest_hub_cant_reconnect_to_wifi_after_power_outa...

Modem: Thomson Technicolor DCM 475 (bridge mode)

Router: Nest Wifi router and point, 2-pack (Snow)

Connecting Thomson Technicolor DCM 475 directly to iMac27

• Mac: Preferences/Network/Ethernet/IP address: 198.84.2XX.XX

==> The modem is on bridge mode

Connect Google Nest Wifi router to the modem

• The Wifi network goes up… But no internet connection.
113 REPLIES 113

Phewphew
Community Member

Update from my last comment. There isn't an easy fix but I had to factory reset and get it working.

Boffy
Community Member

Just to keep this thread going. Here in the UK, yesterday power failure, factory reset required. Painful. Please fix asap

cqrmskgoty
Community Member

Power failure here as well, all of the Google Wifis or Google Home Minis show up as offline in my Google Home app, as well as my Roomba connection. Philips Hue bulbs still show up. Despite Google Wifis showing up as offline, I can still connect to the wifi, but sometimes the connection is insanely slow.

Boffy
Community Member

Any updates on this? Got building work ongoing so likely to lose power regularly, factory resetting every time is going to be awful

SonOfHakan
Community Member

I’m still having the same issue everytime I have a power failure. Been without wifi for a day now.

Travelling_Trev
Community Member

I’m in Australia, had two power outages recently and both times had to factor reset. product is not fit for purpose.

blemoine
Community Member

I had the same issue earlier this month. I could never get my nest router back up, so I went to Best buy and bought a new one. ... There was a power outage this morning. And again, my nest router will not connect to my modem. Again, I have verified that I have internet connectivity by plugging my laptop directly into the modem. That works fine. There's no questions about bridge mode or anything like that. The Google nest simply bricks itself after a power outage. This is the most ridiculous behavior I've ever seen. I'm done with this ridiculous hardware.

blemoine
Community Member

For anyone else struggling with this issue, it's clear that all you have to do after a power outage is simply go replace all of your network equipment. Thanks, Google

ChochoD
Community Member

Once it loses wifi connection for any reason (e.g. router restart without changing SSID or password) my Google Nest Doorbel (battery, connected to 12V) is unable to reconnect. 

- Restart doesn't help. 
- Factory reset and setting up everything again only helps

My network gear is fine, I'm using ASUS gaming router RT-AC86U.

blemoine
Community Member

That's rough buddy.

blemoine
Community Member

Had the exact same problem.  Ditched Google for Eero.  I'm very happy with it.

osteinjr
Community Member

Since I reported my issue on 02-22-2022 it still not resolved. When power is lost, the network does not work again, as reported in this topic. Almost a year later, Google has not been able to solve this chronic problem.

Ihatesergey
Community Member

I'm suffering the same problem.  Really pathetic service from Google.  What a bunch of low skilled outsourced idiots from God knows where.  You get what you pay for I suppose.  Expensive crap maintained by minimum wage fools from India I bet.

yatinpatel16
Community Member

I am facing the same issue right now. 

Ihatesergey
Community Member

And Google does it again.  Can't connect after power outage.  Pathetic.

Dvansan
Community Member

Same issue here.

We have: 4 google minis, wired doorbell gen2, 2 nest hubs that will not reconnect after a power outtage.  We have to go through the house and unplug everything. And the worst is the doorbell, because we have to remove it from the house to press the reset button, as that's the only way to reboot it.

All of our chromcasts(3 of them) and our nest thermostat reconnect fine by themselves.

There really needs to be a fix for these devices not reconnecting on their own.

The hubs and minis say no connection. And the doorbell still rings the chime, but no video is available until we manually reboot it with the reset button.

It happens every time the power goes out.  

Jmilljr
Community Member

Every time I lose power my router shows a solid white light but dies not connect to the internet.  I unplug the power from the bottom of the device then reconnect and it works fine without having to go thru a factory reset or setup.  It's still frustrating but once I unplug power cord and plug it back in the device it starts working within one minute.  Hope this helps.

I had the same issue, but the problem was that I travel a lot and cannot be present to physically unplug and then plug in to reset the system. I found a solution called KeepConnect by Johnson Creative - generally available, at least on Amazon. I bought one ($50 or so, a couple years ago so probably higher now) and I have not had a problem with resetting following a power outage - it does it automatically. Read up on it from their website; seems to be many as happy as me with the system.

Tom Nelson, Zigzag, Oregon USA

andrewparker
Community Member

Experienced this problem for the first time today. We had a power outage last night for around 7 hours, woke up this morning and went through the usual routine several times of unplugging the router and the Google WiFi point, plugging the router back in and letting it reconnect, then plugging the WiFi point back in, and each time it just pulsed red. Guess I'm going to have to fully reset it.

NestUseless_
Community Member

My Nest security camera has stopped working following a power outage. None of the suggestions for reconnecting have worked. Clearly it is a faulty product and this fault has been know about for ages. How do I get a refund for this product that is not fit for purpose?

ArchieW
Community Member

Same.  So glad it's Google is looking into the issue... for the past several years.

rstuckey-work
Community Member

I've had this issue many times. I think found a fix that works for me. 

I'll share it in case it can help just one other person out with this frustrating issue:

1. Power off modem and Nest Wifi Router
  2. Disconnect ethernet from Nest wifi and plug into another computer (laptop or home computer, I always used my laptop)
  3. Power on modem
  4. Verify internet connection (based on lights on modem AND actually connecting from computer). It will take a couple of minutes
  5. Power off modem (for 30 seconds)
  6. Reconnect ethernet to Nest wifi
  7. Turn on Nest Wifi
  8. Quickly turn on modem
  9. Pray while waiting for internet to connect

habylab
Community Member

Having the same issue here. 2 Nest Wifi points with an Openreach modem in the UK. Power went out yesterday, have tried several power cycles and no luck. What's really frustrating is the lack of proper troubleshooting built into the app, alongside no website support for the devices.

nate1977
Community Member

This ‘seemed’ to work for me.

I have a modem, a nest WiFi router, and 3 nest access points (one of those access points is another nest WiFi router set up as an access point).

The power briefly went out today and the same thing as usual…the nest WiFi router wouldn’t obtain the information from the modem. So I decided to try the following and the nest WiFi router connected within a minute….

- unplugged ALL 5 devices from power (modem,router, and 3 access points). In the past I would only power down the modem and router. 

- waited about 2 minutes and powered up the modem. I allowed the modem to fully initialize until it displayed that it was online. 
- after the modem was fully powered up and online, I powered up the nest WiFi router. 
- within about a minute I had internet access again. 
- I then powered up the 3 access points one by one and in no particular order. 

Hopefully this will help at least one of you. 🙂

JGreene
Community Member

Hi all. 

I constantly have this issues with my Nest Wifi router. I am curious if the firmware update has been made. It is frustrating to unplug the router after a power surge or outage for the router to work correctly. It appears the only solution to resolve this issue is power cycle the router and hope it resolves the issue. 

Please Google release an update to resolve this issue. This shouldn't even be an issue for how much people pay for this router.

SDWAKYNYTXCANE
Community Member

Has Google not made any headway on this issue yet? I have just recently started encountering this issue. A couple weeks ago I was having intermittent connection issues so I power cycled my bridge unit and then it would not reconnect to my modem. Even after a factory reset I couldn't get it to connect. I purchased a new modem thinking that had to have been the issue and once I had the is reset the network I was able to connect again. 

I spent several hours creating a new network and having to reconnect every device one by one. 

Now this morning I had a 2 second power outage and I cannot get it to connect again. If I have to factory reset again I will be purchasing a mesh network by a different manufacturer. Considering how much I paid for it, this is absolutely absurd. 

The best solution that I have come yp with was cancelling my subscription to Google Nest and putting the device in the bin! There seems to be a design flaw that has not been addressed and it it’s unclear if it will ever be sorted out.

Agree.

andrewparker
Community Member

Strangely mine seems have been OK recently, and we get very frequent power cuts (the joys of living in the countryside). 

Dougkay
Community Member

Need technical help. I’m unable to climb ladder to fix

Raymondjtoth
Community Member

Jeff I get no power to device at all to nest gen 2 I own what now even unpluged repluged in tryed factory reset no responce

ShellDude
Community Member

I've started experiencing this issue as well since the last firmware update (14150.882.9)

As best as I can tell the Nest Router is failing to negotiate a DHCP address through my ONT to my ISP (Verizon FIOS).

It takes multiple reboots to resolve when it falls into this state.   Rebooting the ONT typically does not help either.  I've used the "Verizon FIOS Troubleshooter" a couple times to get it to trigger the DHCP refresh but it too is unreliable.

And of course, I have to reboot my router daily because if I don't bandwidth on my LAN degrades to the point of it being unusable over time.

And to add insult to injury, since Google has failed to give us a reboot schedule option (like every other router on the planet has these days) I've had to resort to using a managed power outlet to perform the reboot.

I am so sick and tired of this train wreck.  I have had nothing but problems since I moved to Nest mesh last year.  

ShellDude
Community Member

As of the latest firmware update (14150.882.9) I can no longer power cycle my Nest Wifi Router reliably via managed power switch.

As best as I can tell the Nest Router is failing to negotiate a DHCP address through my ONT to my ISP (Verizon FIOS).

It takes multiple reboots to resolve when it falls into this state.   Rebooting the ONT typically does not help either.  I've used the "Verizon FIOS Troubleshooter" a couple times to get it to trigger the DHCP refresh but it too is unreliable.

And of course, I have to reboot my router daily because if I don't bandwidth on my LAN degrades to the point of it being unusable over time.

And to add insult to injury, since Google has failed to give us a reboot schedule option (like every other router on the planet has these days) I've had to resort to using a managed power outlet to perform the reboot.

I am so sick and tired of this train wreck.  I have had nothing but problems since I moved to Nest mesh last year.  

Bbjones41
Community Member

I was able to work with Google support through Twitter DMs. They guided me through some changes in my DNS settings, after I sent them a screenshot of my Nest WiFi settings, and I’ve been fine since.