cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Google wifi- units connect worst wifi point

fredriiiik
Community Member

Hi,

I have 6 google wifi points(3x gen1 + 3x gen2), all are wired with 1gbit inbetween. (200mbit internet connection)

I have issues with stationary units connecting to wifi points far away(15m+) rather than connecting to the closest one 4m away, this results in <15mbits speeds and regular disconnects. Any way I can force units to choose another wifi point?

2 REPLIES 2

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @fredriiiik 

WiFi client devices decide which access point to connect to and when (if ever) to swith between them. Google WiFi does provide devices with some extra information they can use to make better decisions, but many client devices don't support the standards used to communicate this information (802.11k and 802.11v), and those clients will be on their own. Some do a better job than others. Many never switch once they have a working connection, even if a better option is available. This is just how WiFi works in networks that have multiple access points.

All of that said, you may be able to get some of your devices to connect to a more optimal access point by simply restarting them after your Google WiFi network is up and running. This may not work for all devices, though (some may still "stick" to the most recent access point).

carguy143
Community Member

I have this problem with a Dell Inspirion laptop from around 2020/2021. It will sometimes latch on to the wrong point and the Internet is slow. It usually does this if I leave the laptop on standby overnight. 

Disconnecting from the network and reconnecting to it in Windows 10, or turning the WiFi on the laptop off and on again restarts the connection and it ends up on the right access point.