cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hard wiring a Google Mesh system

Dijames
Community Member

I have a 3rd party router (Virgin) wired to a primary Google mesh disk, which then wirelessly transmits to 2 other mesh disks, but there is a lot of degradation of performance.

So can I hardwire the 2nd & 3rd mesh disks directly to the 3rd party router via 2 more Ethernet cables???? Ie having 3 ethernet cable direct to 3 disks?

(I think from reading the blogs I can hardwire disk 1 to disk 2 to disk 3 in a chain, but unfortunately I cannot run a cable from the 1st to 2nd disk due to the layout of the house).

Thoughts?

PS The 2nd hard wired mesh disk has logged on and does provide a strong wifi signal, but only to me as I set it up. I can’t add it to Google Home,  nor access a password to share with others in the house.

So the connections all work, I just can’t manage it!

5 REPLIES 5

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hey @Dijames .

Can you elaborate more on the performance degradation? What are you experiencing?

From the information you have provided thus far, I suspect a Double NAT may be present with the Virgin gear that is causing the performance issues but will need more information to narrow it down.

Also, to answer your question regarding connecting hardwired to the Virgin gear, it will force the Google devices into hub mode and act as such. You can add multiples but they will all be hubs and on the network established by the Virgin gear and not the one configured on the other Google devices. They also cannot be chained together when acting as a hub.

Fix Double NAT when two routers run at the same time 

Let me know if the above helps and/or if you need additional assistance.

Dijames
Community Member

I can get 275mbs in the room where the Virgin router is, and the same in the room with the primary wired mesh disk - but that slows down to <10mbs  off the wifi secondary and third (!) mesh disks  2 rooms away. It is a large traditional brick and block detached house. It is worse again upstairs.

Trying to set up the mesh disk as a hub is causing me problems, as whilst I can see it on my wif connection options it is now asking for a password to connect - which I don’t have. The previous Google mesh one doesn’t work, nor does the code on the back of the disk. 

so I am a bit stuck.

Hey @Dijames .

You are experiencing a Double NAT for sure from the additional information you provided. The previously linked article will help:

Fix Double NAT when two routers run at the same time

You will either need to bridge the Virgin router and allow the Google Wifi to manage routing and wifi, set up the Google Wifi devices as hubs and let the Virgin router handle everything, or deal with Double NAT. 

You may also be having issues from iOS default settings during setup which this article will help with resolving: Troubleshoot setup with iOS 

If you have the ability to do so, adding an unmanaged switch in will help expand the footprint. I'd also recommend placing the Google Wifi devices on opposite sides of the floors to maximize coverage (Example:  1st floor - N side, 2nd floor - S side, 3rd floor - N side).

Hardwire Nest Wifi Pro, Nest Wifi, or Google Wifi with Ethernet 

Many thanks for for clear advice.

I would like to set up the Google mesh disks as individual hubs and let Virgin handle everything else.

So can you advise or send a link as to how I do that - I have failed so far, as whilst my device logs into it, anyone else trying to log on is asked for a password which hasn’t been set up or asked for.

Dave

else I go out and buy 3 wifi extenders for the 3 ethernet cables

Hey @Dijames .

In regards to the password, could that be the Virgin router's password for their wifi?

As far as using the pucks as hubs, they have to be fully reset and each has to connect via Ethernet to the Virgin router; you cannot chain the pucks together. You can also connect an unmanaged switch to the Virgin gear and then run the pucks from the switch ports.

I personally cannot attest to what kind of performance you'll get with this kind of setup and it is not supported by Google.