cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Manually Remove Devices from Network Device List

originalalarm
Community Member

I saw in an older thread that was closed that there was no way to delete old devices that are no longer connected to the network. I want to be notified when new devices connect and with these devices already on the network it won't notify me. 

The old thread also said they should drop off at about 30 days without connecting to the network, but I know for sure a few devices on this list have not be active in over 2 months now. Is there any way to get these off the list? Is there an advanced mode or web interface outside of the app I could use? It would also be nice so that I could name some devices as they are connected to the network so I know for sure what they are.

If I did a factory reset would that work? Is that the only way? So far Google wifi hasn't given me much trouble, but it really seems to lack a lot of more advanced features from other routers. Additionally, it is quite annoying having to use an app everytime you want to make modifications to your network. What if you don't have an Android or Apple device. Why is there no web interface?

6 REPLIES 6

Juzdu
Bronze
Bronze

I can't find a way to remove a device from the list of devices that have connected to your network.  But you can definitely name devices.  Click the device in the list, and at the top of the screen that shows Speed and Info you should have a field there you can edit.  For example it might say "Unnamed device".  You can click in that field and edit that label if you know what the device is.

Having old devices no longer connected shouldn't affect you being notified of new ones connecting though.  Do you mean you want notification of an old device that hasn't connected in ages being re-connected to the network?  If that's the case then it would probably be only a factory reset that would be able to achieve that.

No web interface, I don't know why, but it's only manageable via the Google Home app.

Daisysunny
Community Member

I have devices that have appeared on my network devices for over a year (24 unnamed devices); they do not drop off automatically after a couple months' use as suggested.

Daisysunny
Community Member

I agree. I've had unnamed & unused devices showing on my network that haven't been in our possession for over a year, & they are still on there. I might be able to get my network devices more accurately named if I could throw out those no longer in use. If throwing them off the network also caused loss of login credentials for the network, it'd be easier to find out which device was just signed back in & give it a more accurate name instead of so many unnamed devices. 

mmidgley
Community Member

factory reset does not help this problem. the device names are stored in the cloud. Google will have to provide a way to remove unwanted devices from the devices listing.

Daisysunny
Community Member

I have about 3 dozen mostly unnamed devices on my Google home wifi because of family & visitors over the course of several years we've been using Google wifi, all who've been given access to our home wifi or guest wifi. I have tried every means offered to remove them, to no avail. And there is no way for me to identify these unnamed devices. If I notice a new device on our wifi & I know we have a guest, then I give it a name. I wish Google could be more persistent having me find out who the added device is so I can at least name it. It doesn't bother me as much to have dozens of devices that almost never visit, but to continue to have dozens of unnamed devices is very frustrating. Many devices are no longer in our possession - either given away or returned to the store - and have no business still being on our wifi. Also, I have 2 wifi points that are no longer in use, no longer in our possesstion, but I can't remove them from my Google Home wifi either.

Houseofkane
Community Member

How do you tell what the device is when it's listed as 'unnamed'??  I want to remove all the devices or pause them to get them off my network