cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Need to add a 6th point to my Google Wifi Mesh Network

JumpnJeff8
Community Member

Need some help.  My current Google Wifi mesh setup is 1 router and 4 points set up in the 2nd level and 1 point on the 3rd level of our house, but I need to add an additional point to the garage on the 1st level for a total of 6 Google Wifi mesh setup.  Is this possible to do or if not is it possible to create the 6th point as a wireless router?

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

The app will let you add the Wifi point but it's not recommended. The reason using more than 5 is not recommended is because Nest Wifi uses a "fewest hops" approach to getting traffic to its destination, so if one of your routers can get even a weak connection to your primary router, it will use that instead of going through another intermediate router. If you think you're going to need that many, a wired connection to each of your routers would be significantly more reliable (typically known as wired backhaul). If that's not possible, it's essentially a must to have your router centrally placed. Typically, it just won't be enough if the most distant routers are far away and if you really need that many routers, only wiring them is going to make the performance in that kind of setup satisfactory. That said, Wifi signal and coverage depends on so many different factors, so it's not an exact science, and you may be fortunate enough to not notice any issues for how many devices you have and the speed you're looking for. To that end, I'd recommend keeping the receipt if you go ahead so you can return it if needed.