cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest WiFi Pro wired connection is about 10% of what it was on Nest WiFi

junton
Community Member

So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.

My troubleshooting has been the following:

• Restart the Nest WiFi Pro network
  • Restart the modem
  • Restart all switches
  • Reboot the hard wired computers

My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.

Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.

I think something is wrong

744 REPLIES 744

codyl1992
Community Member

I am having the same issue. I get 600-700mb upload but less than 100 download on any device. 

Eclipse
Community Member

I have a 150mb connection and I'm only receiving 60mb on wired and wireless.

I was using a Asus zenwifi mini 2 pack and it was receiving 100 plus constant and the signal was stronger then these. Disappointed. 

Mike30
Community Member

I have the same exact issue.

Removed everything from network and run just one nest WiFi pro router with pc connect direct via ethernet. Same issue. 

Tried Pixel 7 pro, same issue.

Plugged my old router back in and back to full speed.

faz1964
Community Member

Yes my speeds are down too 👎

Mike30
Community Member

Any of your guys in the UK and on an OFNL fibre connection by chance?

Eclipse
Community Member

I am, with BT FTTP. Same issue running im running  pppoe, 3 points, half the WiFi speed everywhere, wired doesn't same thing, and the singal coverage is poorer than my Asus zenwifi mini 2 packm thinking of returning as I'm not sure how long it's going to take to fix this. As my return period is up to November 11

tsalb
Community Member

Same issues here, but with intermittent disconnects. Using a 2 puck mesh and one is backhauled.

I noticed that using an iPhone 11 pro and spamming speed test from Google search results, it seems to increase the device speed to the router?

Almost seems as if there’s some kind of aggressive QoL software that’s not working correctly?

Mike30
Community Member

A misconfigured QoL seems likely

faz1964
Community Member

Having the intermittent disconnects also and the coverage is worse than the Nest WiFi.

Not a happy bunny so far.

Same experience. I just read an article on The Verge saying it was going to get fixed next week by google… and that it seemed to be a Uk/Europe issue, but I can tell you I am having these issues too in the US on fiber. 

Same issue in Canada here on a cable connection.  However, odd part is if I do a Speedtest with a device that is Wifi6 or higher, speeds are fast (avg 950MBit/sec), but on devices that are less than Wifi6 am receiving slow speed (40MBit/sec or less, and multiple drops).  Have a case logged with Google already last week, and per articles appears there's a fix coming in a week.  Am thinking since there's more than those in the UK reporting, as well as those that aren't using PPPoE, there's some underlying network settings in the devices that will be adjusted with the fix (not sure it will be a firmware fix, as appears they take approx 6 mo turn around within Google, but probably more internet network settings updates, for ones we as users don't have the low enough access to change).

perrypetrie
Community Member

Having the exact same issues

pwhite
Community Member

same issue... in australia...

Mike30
Community Member

What firmware version is everyone on?

Eclipse
Community Member

1.63.318999 version 

Already RMA this nest pro and returned, not going to waste my time. Back to my Asus. Will consider buying again once all the issues have been ironed out. For £300+ I expeced this to be better

Mike30
Community Member

Same for me. 

stuartevansuk
Community Member

Same issue here, I have BT Gfast Service with a connection of 330Mbps (Max) that comes into the house into an Huawei MT922 Modem, this connects to the Nest Wifi Pro over Ethernet with PPPOE.

Connected via Wired and Wireless with multiple devices and the top speed I can get is 50Mbps... I have a Netgear Orbi, connect that back up in the same configuration and full speed of 300Mbps on all devices.

Spoke to Google Support, they advised that is due to double routing and that the MT922 device is also acting as a router and causing the double routing and slow speeds... This is incorrect, the MT922 is purely a modem.

Not sure what the problem is, but mostly likely sending the device back as Google offered no help.

Yeah same. I'm in a new build with a provided optical network terminal (ONT). No router functionality at all.

Eclipse
Community Member

Yep, Same I have an ONT one of the new ones, and its just giving me 50 all the time. Looks like a return for me until they release a software update, device is broken for us Ppoee users. Not sure about DHCP users

Mike30
Community Member

Interesting to know if it's working on PPPoE for anyone

Looking at this thread it doesnt seem to be, there's a few of us so far that are confirmed PPPOE and stuck at the 50Mbps

Eclipse
Community Member

I'm on Ppoee and it's stuck at 50

Mike30
Community Member

Anyone not on PPPoE and stick here?

junton
Community Member

I'm not on PPPoE and I'm getting really mixed performance. I'm on day 2 and sometimes I'm at 50 and sometimes at 700, but I have not gotten what I was getting on my old Nest WiFi. I was consistently at 900Mbps wired there.

Nileshj
Community Member

I’m in the same boat, 1GBPS both ways fiber connection. Was getting 900mbps on the nest Wi-Fi, now very inconsistent connection, dropping frequently, unstable to even wired connections. Very disappointed. Reverted back to old Nest Wi-Fi setup, returning the pro. 

codyl1992
Community Member

yep, DHCP, got about 50-70mbps down but 600-700 upload

stuartevansuk
Community Member

Just to confirm PPPOE and stuck on 50Mbps

stuartevansuk
Community Member

Has anyone spoken to Google Support on this and shown them this thread? Clearly an issue exists

I have pointed madebygoogle support to this thread, engaged via twitter DMs.

Thanks Mike, nice work! Fingers Crossed.

deanhtid99
Community Member

Same issue for me. BT fttp. 900MB. Now getting 50. Also PPPOE. Clearly something limiting us. Hopefully a quick fix is rolled out. Really can’t be bothered to reconfigure my old mesh system 

junton
Community Member

Quick update - I went back to my old Nest WiFi. I plugged it in, set it up from scratch, and immediately got 833Mbps/793Mbps. Second test was 931Mbps/618Mbps. I will be returning the Nest WiFi Pro 4 pack to Costco.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but I keep giving Google a chance with hardware thinking it'll be different this time...sigh. Back to the Nest WiFi and fingers crossed my routers don't start acting funny like they've been reported to do.

rburleyjr
Community Member

Ditto! The Costco deal was sweat.....sad.

ykilic
Community Member

shame it did not work

deanhtid99
Community Member

Be nice to get some sort of response from Google. That they’re even looking into? What a disappointment 

Totally agree their support is also clueless 

PatrickP_Viking
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Just some thoughts...

• If upload speeds are higher than download speeds, the modem could be the issue and likely due to some restriction the ISP has in the configurations; they might be able to assist.
  • With degraded speeds on upload and download that are similar, it could be the same issue as above. 

Nothing to do with the modem as no modem involved here. It’s ONT to Nest wifi. Plus we all plug our old devices in and the issues resolved. 

so 100% fault of the nest Wi-Fi I’m afraid 

This isnt even a case of slow speed due to signal loss across my house for example, PPPOE connections are being limited to 50Mbps even hardwired in.  Something's wrong.