cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest WiFi Pro wired connection is about 10% of what it was on Nest WiFi

junton
Community Member

So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.

My troubleshooting has been the following:

• Restart the Nest WiFi Pro network
  • Restart the modem
  • Restart all switches
  • Reboot the hard wired computers

My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.

Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.

I think something is wrong

744 REPLIES 744

WarpedTrekker
Community Member

Another issue is Thread. I bought four Nanoleaf products. Two bulbs and two light strips, to try out the thread network. Thread is touted as being stable and no dropouts. Guess what...I can't keep these lights working with Google Home! They drop off the Thread network, which is shown in the Nanoleaf app. Other times, they will respond in Nanoleaf app, but be completely unresponsive in Google Home and with the Assistant. "Sorry, something went wrong with two lights" is what the assistant says.

Several Nest devices in the home run as Thread routers, so it should be a strong signal. I checked the firmware of my Nest Hub Max and Nest Hub's, plus speakers. They are all on new firmware that supports Thread. Yet these lights drop out, just like my previous Sylvania lights. This issue is worse than my WeMo lights and switches!

Nanoleaf was of no help, as they just told me to re-pair and restart the lights. I think the main issue is the Nest WiFi Pro at this point. But I'm about to return the Nanoleaf too and go get a Philips Hue hub and lights.

Xilibrius
Community Member

I just purchased this and set it up yesterday and my PC downstairs that's hooked up through the mesh unit via ethernet is capped at about 20 MBS down

callaboy
Community Member

I have a 5 year old Google Wifi mesh at my house and have been seeing 40-50MB/s downloads for the past two weeks. Plugging directly into our Xfinity router gives download speeds ~950MB/s which is aligned with the plan we have. Is anyone with older Google Wifi mesh systems seeing these symptoms? Did we pick up a bad firmware update like the newer Nest devices?

G-Mo
Community Member

I had the same issue with the previous Google Nest Wi-Fi when I upgraded to a 1gig plan with Frontier, turned out I needed a new ONT (fiber modem).

ziggy86
Community Member

I am also having speed issues, using Verizion Fios 1Gbps.

This is not an issues with a "few" users.

SMJ
Community Member

I upgraded from Nest wifi with 3 points to the Nest wifipro three pack.  Immediately put a ticket in about the slow speed on my Pixel6Pro with the new nest.  That case ticket is still showing "in progress" 3 weeks later  😞   I just got my first wifi6e pc and the speed is pathetic.  I have gigabyte service but I am not even getting 100 mbps on it.  There really needs to be an explanation and resolution soon for this abysmal speed.

Jamcroyson
Community Member

Having samed issues... But only get 50 up and 500 down on a 1GB connection...old routers got 900 plus 

RunningBuchan
Community Member

DmitryP
Community Member

It's an update that's coming out next week, but not necessarily a fix... 🤣

That is true 😅

Aria
Community Member

I'm concerned that you guys reported this 2 weeks ago and still nothing seems to have been done, if anything the issue is worse today 13/11/22.  I just got my Nest Wifi Pro and wasn't aware of the issues.  I was upgrading from Nest Wifi (none "pro").  I'm on BT in the UK with 900Mbps download and 100Mbps upload.  Since putting in the Nest Wifi Pro I'm maxing out at 30Mbps for upload and download even on a wired connection!  Shattered my faith in Google and I'd wait a few days but it seems you guys were reporting this issue two weeks ago.  Unacceptable.  Getting a refund and buying into someone else's ecosystem.

GarlandAfoot
Community Member

Glad I wasn’t just crazy, my old Orbi is testing faster in 1 Gig service area. Ugh. May need to return. 

I will wait to return until I see if this fix coming this week will correct the issues.

d-cortez
Community Member

I'm in the US, and my Nest WiFi Pro is capping out at 90 Mbs on downloads. I disabled Nest WiFi Pro, enabled eero 6+ setup and download speeds are 920Mbs. Looks like I'll be sending the Nest equipment back to Google if there's no fix the week of 14-Nov.

TheTechTempest
Community Member

I've been having this problem since I got the Pro and I'm on FiOS gigabit. I've also been getting my devices disconnected daily. 

Since yesterday was my final day in the return window I went ahead and returned. I don't want to take a chance. I really like Google products and have always had a Google Nest Wi-Fi system so I'm very disappointed here. I know there is a "fix" rolling out this week but who knows if it will fix my issues.

I went ahead and got a 2 pack TP Link Deco since it's on sale for $220. 

I have gigabit service from Fios at home and have my pro units connect with wired backhaul. If I am getting speeds of 450 download on my Samsung ultra 22 using 6e is that good if I am in the same room with the node about 2feet away or should it be closer to 800 or 900?

I am not very tech savvy so I was just curious what I should be expecting

jimmyt1988
Community Member

Any updates on this? I'm still having the issue. I have contacted Google support but they also do not have an update yet. I've been stuck with 50 megabit down (I have 900megabit connection) for almost 3 weeks now.

GDog9
Community Member

There was a rumour on Verge that they have a solution rolling out "soon". Be nice to get official confirmation on this forum <not holding my breath>

arekkusu
Community Member

Going to my router's API web page (<router-ip>/api/v1/status) now shows:

"software": {
"blockingUpdate": 1,
"softwareVersion": "1.63.318999",
"updateChannel": "stable-channel",
"updateNewVersion": "324946",
"updateProgress": 0.0,
"updateRequired": false,
"updateStatus": "updated"
}

Does this mean that there's an update and just waiting to re-start? I am at work so can't check if this is the update we've been waiting for.

Yes. Just restarted here, seems to be better now. My plan here is 600mb/300mb, on wired is now working at full speed.

On Wifi6 even testing in front of the router, I can't get more than 200mb on upload. Download looks ok.

Well I still have mine and that is what I'm seeing. Right now I'm trying to upload a large collection of my music to YouTube music. Upload is slow like you say and I have my wifi 6e new expensive maxed out laptop and can't get good upload speeds. Intel Killer software shows it keeps wanting to go to 2.4fhz or 5ghz bands. Even 5ft away from main router, the Killer app shows the 6GHz band as only having 85% strength. It never even hits 90 and my neighbors wifi is actually showing way more strength then these Nest pro. 

Darth_Vader
Community Member

I have PPPoE here in Canada with Virgin, problem seems less so about speed, the QoS doesn't seem to work, if anything it makes everything worse. Watching Disney+ chokes every 15 seconds or so, MS Team calls are not useable. I have to turn off camera. I disabled all QoS for now for video calls and gaming. Disney+ seems ok now but MS Team calls still sucks.

If you have speed to spare in your plan just keep both QoS off all the time, I had performance issues with my original Google Wifi and turning everything off did the trick for me.

Where is this QoS that you speak of? It's non-existent in the Nest app. There is no option for it.

They don't call it QoS, but basically on the "Google Home" app, click on "Wifi devices", choose your router, click on the wrench icon at the top, then "Network settings" and then "Preferred activities", those 2 checkboxes inside represent QoS (on if either one of them ticked, off otherwise)

I've tried that in the past turning them off and on and testing. No difference. 

dnstrom
Community Member

Same here!   WTF Google?

Lee1982
Community Member

Update 11/12: In a statement to The Verge, Google has confirmed that a “small number of users” are experiencing issues with download speeds on Nest Wifi Pro, primarily customers in the UK who connect to the internet with PPPoE. According to the head of product for Nest Wifi Pro, Sanjay Noronha, a fix for this issue will roll out early next week.

njgreb
Community Member

My system updated to version 1.63.324946 last night. The issue is resolved for me. My devices are hitting full speed!

ah really? Mines still the same at the moment. where are you based? UK?

Is it possible to force a firmware update and if so how?

MattVon
Community Member

Just reboot the device, I had to reboot mine twice for the update to apply. It may do it overnight for you also.

US and in the Home beta. So not sure if that impacts it too. 

ah right. I'm not in the beta. maybe that's why 

DmitryP
Community Member

At least this means it isn't the hardware...

thankfully as i didn't get round to sending mine back 😬 i would have kicked up a fuss if they didn't let me after the return window tho

njgreb
Community Member

Additional details, I'm on 250/250 fiber that uses PPPoE and my Pro connects directly to my ONT. The previous firmware had wired and wireless clients topping out at about 50/50. 

sounds promising 

JtotheK
Community Member

Problem solved for me. Restart has triggered the software update (fast pulsing light on the devices). Full speed now available. Germany, DSL via PPPoE. Software: 1.63.324946. Thank god. Thank Google. Now I am happy af again. Ah, both wired and wireless is now full speed.

cool. I'm gonna reboot mine after this work call. I'll report back