So, my WiFi Pro arrived today and I was really excited to get it setup. I set everything up using the Google Home app and downloaded the updates. I have a fiber gigabit connection from my provider and their most recent modem. My wired connections are pegged to about 90Mbps. My Nest WiFi (non Pro) was getting 900+Mbps wired.
My troubleshooting has been the following:
My Nest WiFi Pro is in DHCP WAN mode and connected directly to the 10Gbps ethernet port on my modem. I am using a mix of CAT 5 and CAT 6 cabling and my switches are all gigabit or higher.
Plugging the old Nest WiFi (non Pro) back in yields 900+Mbps on wired connections.
I think something is wrong
I am, with BT FTTP. Same issue running im running pppoe, 3 points, half the WiFi speed everywhere, wired doesn't same thing, and the singal coverage is poorer than my Asus zenwifi mini 2 packm thinking of returning as I'm not sure how long it's going to take to fix this. As my return period is up to November 11
Same issues here, but with intermittent disconnects. Using a 2 puck mesh and one is backhauled.
I noticed that using an iPhone 11 pro and spamming speed test from Google search results, it seems to increase the device speed to the router?
Almost seems as if there’s some kind of aggressive QoL software that’s not working correctly?
Same issue in Canada here on a cable connection. However, odd part is if I do a Speedtest with a device that is Wifi6 or higher, speeds are fast (avg 950MBit/sec), but on devices that are less than Wifi6 am receiving slow speed (40MBit/sec or less, and multiple drops). Have a case logged with Google already last week, and per articles appears there's a fix coming in a week. Am thinking since there's more than those in the UK reporting, as well as those that aren't using PPPoE, there's some underlying network settings in the devices that will be adjusted with the fix (not sure it will be a firmware fix, as appears they take approx 6 mo turn around within Google, but probably more internet network settings updates, for ones we as users don't have the low enough access to change).
Same issue here, I have BT Gfast Service with a connection of 330Mbps (Max) that comes into the house into an Huawei MT922 Modem, this connects to the Nest Wifi Pro over Ethernet with PPPOE.
Connected via Wired and Wireless with multiple devices and the top speed I can get is 50Mbps... I have a Netgear Orbi, connect that back up in the same configuration and full speed of 300Mbps on all devices.
Spoke to Google Support, they advised that is due to double routing and that the MT922 device is also acting as a router and causing the double routing and slow speeds... This is incorrect, the MT922 is purely a modem.
Not sure what the problem is, but mostly likely sending the device back as Google offered no help.
Quick update - I went back to my old Nest WiFi. I plugged it in, set it up from scratch, and immediately got 833Mbps/793Mbps. Second test was 931Mbps/618Mbps. I will be returning the Nest WiFi Pro 4 pack to Costco.
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but I keep giving Google a chance with hardware thinking it'll be different this time...sigh. Back to the Nest WiFi and fingers crossed my routers don't start acting funny like they've been reported to do.
Just some thoughts...