cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Wifi WAN Static IP Not Saved

klavergne
Community Member

I just moved. I had my Nest Wifi set up at my old house, and I'm trying to set it up at my new one. My old house just used DHCP for the WAN settings, but my new ISP requires static IP address. I've followed the instructions on how to change the WAN settings for my Nest Wifi to static IP, but it doesn't work. Once I hit Save on the screen it appears to be saved. I then go back to the main settings and tap WAN settings again, and it says that it reverted back to DHCP. And after doing that I no longer have an Internet connection.

99 REPLIES 99

chaas
Community Member

same problem with Pixel 6. Can´t get it work.

chaas
Community Member

I also can´t change LAN IP address or DHCP Pool address. After changing the numbers and savin it seems to be good, but going back to the settings reset everything. It is never really saved, it is just shown as saved for a moment,Pixel 6 with home app.

happypanther
Community Member

I actually can't even get to the settings.  It says I can't change the settings unless my wifi is up and running but not connected to an ethernet cable.  Which is what I've done.  Tried with both an iPad and my iPhone 13 pro, no dice.  I bought a cheap netgear wifi point so I can configure my static IP.  This is awful

luciofeitoza
Community Member

same here, very frustating it has been more than a year this have been issued

Lynx
Community Member

I have tried with both an ios and android device, both with latest google home app . I can set i) DNS but ii) Static IP, subnet and gateway settings will not save. 

Soong
Community Member

I can't save wan settings on Nest WiFi either. Click save but nothing happens. Tried on Android and iOS.

Edit: trying to save pppoe details.

jaolstad
Community Member

@Jeff any news on these issues? When are you going to address this? ...or is the Nest WiFi a product being "terminated" in near future? 

Soong
Community Member

I went on support chat and their "fix" was to factory reset the device. It worked, which I kind of new it would, I was just hoping for a fix that wasn't quite as drastic. Bit of a pain having to factory reset the device.

Any proper fix coming or is this just another shoddy Google hardware quirk?

aparulis
Community Member

I tried doing a factory restart and I'm still not able to save my Static IP information. Is that all you did?

Soong
Community Member

Yeah that's all I had to do.

klavergne
Community Member

I did that multiple times, and it never worked.

philipzimm94
Community Member

Same Problem here - we try to use a 3 pack of GoogleWiFi Devices in our small office, we have a fiber connection with a static IP Adress. When i connect the first GoogleWiFi to our existing router, it gets an IP adress. I want to set it up as a static WAN adress provided by our fiber carrier, it says "unplug ethernet and wait for yellow light". The yellow light never happens and i cannot change the settings at all.

Super frustrating. Using latest iOS on my iPhone X with latest GoogleHome app

DotNetGurus
Community Member

@Jeff Any update on this issue?

UberGROG
Community Member

Same issue, is there still no update?

alki515
Community Member

I cannot set it either.  it will not save the info.  

Mifosbabe
Community Member

Having the same issue here too. I can put all new PPPoE WAN settings in but it never saves it. So frustrating that now it looks like I have to factory reset the whole thing. 

goosman
Community Member

+1

Same problem. Any news on this?

Danmt
Community Member

Same problem, just moved addresses and it doesn't save PPPoE

semonov
Community Member

Same problem. Doesn't save static IP. iOS

alki515
Community Member

I can't believe that @Nestwifi  @Jeff  ignores all comments here and does not have answer for a simple question.  I guess this will be the last time I purchase a Nest Product. 

semonov
Community Member

It's the most basic of router functionality. After finding this thread today, I've started researching new alternatives companies for my smarthome.

alki515
Community Member

How about researching a replacement of the nest wifi.  It is not a problem with IOS only. 

semonov
Community Member

Yes, I'm looking to replace all of my nest devices is what I mean.

psomaggi
Community Member

Same here - wasted the whole day just churning from one ISP to another due to horrible software. I'm never buying anything Google branded again (that goes for your equally as rubbish Cloud).

nshres
Community Member

Wow, more than a year, and we're still here. By the way didn't work for me either, if that wasn't clear.

AdamTolhurst
Community Member

**bleep** thought I was doing something wrong .

come  on google fix this ! You’re a billion dollar company invest in your products and the customers that buy them!

chauncythecat
Community Member

Did anyone ever get a fix for this?  Just purchased a new Nest mesh setup along with 8 repeaters to cover my property and I can't change my LAN

I would return it immediately.  Get netgear orbi instead.  Nest is horrible. 

Matbudgie
Community Member

I’m appalled that there’s no resolution to this. Changed ISP with a different WAN connection and now have to get a new router and new mesh network just to make it work. This is abysmal, Google. 

Matbudgie
Community Member

@Jeff Google needs to fix this now

I’ve tagged him already.  It would seems that google doesn’t care.  I threw away google nest and settled on Netgear Orbi.  I will not buy another google product.  Because their support is HORRID. 

chauncythecat
Community Member

I GOT IT TO WORK after spending 4 hours on this today.

I did a factory reset of the entire mesh network, setup the network again from my pixel 6, (just the main router) and I ran into the exact same issue.  I couldn't change the LAN.

For the hell of it, I did another factory reset and tried it with my Pixel 5.  Same exact thing, no way to modify the LAN. 

I did it again with my old OnePlus 7p and wouldn't you know it,  I could modify the LAN.  As soon as I hit save on the LAN page, I received the circling lines and then the router rebooted and I'm on the LAN I need to be on.

Why can't google's products work with there other products? What a joke.  Hopefully this helps someone out here.

tl;dr reinstalled main router from one+7p phone using home app and changed LAN before adding the repeaters, I'm good to go now.

It’s not the LAN that we’re after.  It’s the WAN.  

Oh **bleep**.  Well, I had the exact same issue with the LAN side and this fixed it.  

Since I toss POS google hardware.  Why don’t you do google a favor by wiping your settings and trying the same method for the wan.  If your isp allow it?

dmalonecentral
Community Member

Shame on google for not even addressing the situation. Same issue here. Don't really want to have to reset the entire network.

Ehartman
Community Member

I think it's time that we exercise our warranty boys.. It's obvious that it's broke and they can't fix it so it warrenty time.

badwifi
Community Member

It is 8/26/22.  More than 1 year after the original post.  I just 6 hours of my life to this stupid bug in google nest wifi.  I am unable to save static IP settings after having switched to fiber optic ont service behind a cgnat infrastructure after paying for a static ip address.  This is a stupid bug and shame on google for not fixing it.

elfman8a
Community Member

After multiple attempts I was able to get the static wan to take.

I started with the Google wifi connected to old router with DHCP.  And connected to the Google wifi ssid.  Then in the app (Android phone) I got into the menu where it said that you can't change to static.  Then I disconnected from my old router and turned off LTE data on the phone.  Then I went back into settings menu which now let me enter the static details.  Finally, before clicking the final save button, I reconnected the Google wifi to my old DHCP.  It then successfully saved the setting (didn't spin forever) and I disconnected my old router and plugged static broadband into the Google wifi.

I tried multiple times but the trick seemed to be disconnected just long enough to get the app to allow you to enter the static details but to be reconnected before actually hitting save.

Jaseyjasey
Community Member

Absolutely shameful that Google has no support for this issue