cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wifi randomly going offline

Sydtriman
Community Member

For the past week my Google nest Wi-Fi go randomly off-line. There have been absolutely no other changes in my network or environment that could cause this. I’ve had no issues prior to this. 

I can see a couple of posts in the forum of a similar vein, has anybody been able to solve this issue? Is it a firmware problem?

I’ve done a full factory reset which hasn’t helped, and in fact seems to have made it worse. 

Setup: Router (firmware 13729.57.27) and 2 points (firmware 1.54.267572)

any ideas?

1,464 REPLIES 1,464

SPCORRIV
Community Member

Yes Having the same issue here all green for days then start losing connection never the same house is not that big and has 1 router and 4 points to cover whole house this is getting ridiculous .

Adamk
Community Member

It's December 2022 I just replaced my Nest wifi with the Google Pro and same sh*t. Randomly goes offline during work and presentation. What is going on Google????

CodeMan
Community Member

Hi all - to those still having the issue, how many simultaneous devices do you have online on your google wifi network? I have 1 router & 2 satellites, yet mine seems to have issues once I go above 30+ simultaneous devices. They advertise up to 100 connected devices (up to 300 with a 3-pack) but that doesn't seem possible for me at all, not even close. The failures seem to happen for me at 30 or above.

Adamk
Community Member

I have the 3 pack Google Pro and 34 devices connected. I also noticed the first day of the install my speed standing right next to the main Google Pro was well over 600Mbps with all 34 devices and as the days went by it gradually decreased standing at the same spot down to 150Mbps.

Randomly 2-3 times a day the whole system goes out and I have to restart the Google Pro via the Google Home app to get the system back up again.

Pakdude
Community Member

Does anyone know how to place a Class Action lawsuit for fraudulent advertising?

Robert1480
Community Member

LOL - so this is fun. I still own these things though I actually bought Netgear Orbi a year ago so I could actually, you know, work and stuff. So, connected today and the router just has a slowly flashing white light. Huh. Router not connecting to internet, which is weird. Switch the Google ethernet cable to the port the Netgear is plugged into. No luck. Plug the ethernet I'd had going to the Netgear into it. No luck. Plug the Netgear into the same port with the Google cable. It works! Plug the Netgear with either cable into the other port. It works! 

Google has truly mastered the art of the useless device. It used to at least connect intermittently. Now it doesn't even connect to the internet at all...

McGuffFL
Community Member

It’s a year later and I am having this exact issue with my access point. Router is fine, AP goes down and needs power cycled almost daily. 

Keithmh
Community Member

**POSSIBLE FIX

I have the 3 pack of the 2nd gen mesh routers. I wanted to share what someone else had mentioned regarding a possible fix. I too have been having the issue with my secondary access points going offline while my primary remains working.  Changing the DNS from automatic to using a custom primary and secondary DNS has resolved the issue for me. I would need to reboot one of my secondary access points daily. Since this change, I’ve been good for almost 2 weeks.  I hope this helps someone since Google has not addressed this for over a year. 

JayBee6
Community Member

Experiencing the exact same thing. Google - what's the fix?

swingle73
Community Member

Same, the DSN suggestion didn't work for me.  I have 3 connection points they keep flipping in and out throughout the day.  I'm still within warranty.

Google, what's the fix?

SPCORRIV
Community Member

Dear Google getting sick of your wifi going offline and going weak when no changes occur Instead  of you hanging around waiting for us to fix your problem get off your ass and find a solution its ridiculous this has been going on for to long. 

Also want to add I have the following and is continuously messed up by wifi being offline.

Qty 2 Nest Routers

Qty 3 Nest Wifi Points

Qty 12 Nest Audio speakers always losing connection

Qty 2 Nest door bells

Qty 2 Nest Battery Cameras

Qty 2 Nest Indoor Cameras

JayBee6
Community Member

I might have a fix! Go into the settings in the Home app and turn off priority for video conferencing (teams, zoom, etc). I did this almost a week ago and haven't had interruption to the Nest since then.

AndrewEvans
Community Member

My google wifi mesh had a weak signal with occasional going offline (once or twice a week) added an extra point for Christmas to bring the mesh points closer together. It is now much worse with various access points dropping offline through the day. This is making my smart ho.e very unstable with lights and doorbells randomly not responding. I am going to try switch everything off and start again today if I find time. 

I hope it works. 

Welcome to the club.  Club Scroogled

Sbild9
Community Member

Same issue here. I have 2 mesh wifi points. One keeps going offline every few days and the other one along with the router are fine. 

MattH34
Community Member

Had some more troubleshooting help from Google last week.  I haven't had any issues since so here's hoping!

1. Change router name and password to not include spaces or special characters.

2. Changed the DNS to "custom" and entered the four data entry points respectively as 

2001:4860:4860::8888
2001:4860:4860::8844

AndrewEvans
Community Member

So I got mine working. It has worked perfectly for the last week.

I used the reset protocol that I read somewhere on this forum. Switch all routers off including the broadband router. Wait 20 minutes. Then Switch the broadband router on. Wait for the internet to connect. Then switch the primary Google wifi router on. Wait for it to connect. Then Switch the rest of the routers on. Google mesh test is now green for all 5 routers and remains so each time. Happy the frustration is over.

AndrewEvans
Community Member

I have posted before. This worked for me having similar issues. Switch off all google mesh wifi routers. Switch off your broadband router. Wait 20 minutes. Switch on your broadband router. Wait about 5 minutes to ensure its connected. Then switch on the first google wifi (the one connected to the broadband router) Wait for it to connect. Then switch on all other google wifi routers (I have 4 others). I have not had a problem since doing this. 6 weeks ago.

Yeah I used to do that and sometimes it was stable for weeks, sometimes I was doing it several times a day. I'm glad it's working for you but I don't expect it to last very long.

Mackiscute2002
Community Member

Do you mean broadband modem because your 1st google router plugs into the modem.

Szou
Community Member

I still have this issue MULTIPLE TIMES A DAY…. 

Info
Community Member

Same problem. Factory reset every nest point. The nest points even crashed during setup. Managed to have everything working for two days now all the points are showing offline and the internet isn’t working but if you run speed yes through home it is. This is a terrible product, going to have to replace 5 nest points.

Managed to get everything working (even had issues setting up 

californiadream
Community Member

It is Jan 2023, I have had Google nest wifi for five years, and suddenly this past week two of the three "wifi devices" are randomly going offline.  The nest wifi router never seems to be affected but my two nest wifi points loose connectivity for a while and then usually reconnect.  They have worked perfectly for five years until now.  Has this been resolved?

I gave up and switched to another mesh network. Just like you I was a long term user when suddenly the Google mesh quit working. I could get it back up by resetting everything   but never worked for more than a couple of days. Google offered no solution. 

Sbild9
Community Member

I am thinking I might need to switch as well. Frustrating since everything connected through Google home. It used to work great until a few months ago. 

jkouns
Community Member

I feel bad for everyone on this thread and I'm still subscribed for some sick reason.....

I finally switched.  People told me for months when I was moaning I wanted Google to fix the issues.  I refused, as I spent so much money on a comprehensive Google ecosystem.

Everyone, you need to switch, it sucks to hear it but do it.... I ignored the advice for months and it was bad of me.  You are just prolonging the pain. There is a clear/known software bug and they aren't willing or able to fix it.  

I tested a few other solutions and while not perfect I'm currently on the Eero Pro 6E. No dropping offline nonsense, and I didn't have to move the mesh endpoints closer and anything stupid.

Sorry to everyone dealing with this problem. Google should be completely embarrassed by this nonsense.

I agree. My experience almost word--for-word, only difference was I went for Netgear Orbi. I suspect a percentage of devices have flakey radio hardware that fails non-catistrophically some point, which would explain it working and then not, and why not everyone has this is issue. Still, I think it's important to bear witness here to reduce the time others suffer. I'm sure a class-action suit will happen at some point.

I agree. My experience almost word--for-word, only difference was I went for TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi6 Mesh.  Google will tell you it's your walls, or that it's your internet provider, or you need to set your router to bridging, or one of one hundred other excuses.  It's all a lie.  I plugged in the new equipment and it JUST WORKED!  I didn't have to change my internet provider or the thickness of my walls. Still, I agree it's important to bear witness here to reduce the time others suffer. I'm sure a class-action suit will happen at some point.

Crumpet
Community Member

It might even be a firmware bug that they can't resolve without recalling and replacing every unit.

Aaronsan89
Community Member

Mine recently started doing this has there been a fix? Also it’s been about two years with no problems the only thing that I found different is that the room where I had my main router plugged in was just recently moved around so I had to unplug the main router for a while to relocate it in the room plugged it back in and now all of a sudden I’m starting to randomly lose wifi points around my house. 

bryher
Community Member

Seems like with so many people including myself experiencing the same problem with no resolution for years this might be a Class Action lawsuit.  No idea how to get that going though. 

Vp4
Community Member

I’m running into this issue as well all of a sudden!

Tinkapath
Community Member

Same here. Don’t know if there is solution

supervoj
Community Member

Hey all, i've been following this thread over the last few days as i've been having issues for a few months now.

My setup is:

- 2 x Nest Wifi (2 pack: Router + AP)

- 3 x Google WiFi (3 pack: Router + 2 x AP)

Firmware and software versions are all up-to-date and my devices are about 2 rooms apart from each other. All devices show great/good connections except 1 Google Wifi point located outside in the shed. 

After reading all the posts here, I think I will lean towards a Netgear Orbi eventually like some people here, but I've also applied some changes that people here have suggested and so far so good. This is NOT to say it is a fix, as people here have mentioned that things work fine for a little while and then crash again.

So what's changed:

- DNS settings set to custom and applied the hard coded Google DNS servers

- Enabled IPv6 and hard coded the Google DNS servers

- Enabled WPA3 and restarted network (I didn't have this enabled originally as I thought there were some smart TV's in my house that would have issues connecting to my WiFi)

Don't want to jinx anything but I have not had any interruptions at all. I don't hold a lot of hope that the issues will go away, however this is going to be my final step before I order the Netgear Orbi and pack this Google rubbish back in their boxes and sell it on eBay. 

The biggest difference here from my observation is that it seems to hold on to the mesh configuration properly. Before these changes, I could go into the Google Home app > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Devices and click on any device, only to be greeted with a message saying something along the lines of: this device has been removed from your network, click OK to factory reset it. Well I never did.

Now I can click on any device and it displays the device information for me straight away. So this already is a major improvement for me. I have 2 Google cameras with notifications set for activity, so when my WiFi drops, I would get notifications that the cameras are offline. Not a single notification (yet).

Anyone reading this that tries the above steps and it works for you also - I hope to lessen the frustration. It would be super awesome to have something so simple as a "fix" to an issue that's been ongoing for over 1-2 years now? I realise people have already tried this before to no avail, maybe with this combination along with the  software/firmware versions it now "works"?

Good luck. 👍

Update: it's been about a week or so now since my post - although it was running smoothly for most of that time, it started to drop off again this morning. I wasn't expecting a miracle but was still hoping it would last longer than a week. 

Oh well I am now going to do some research and invest in the Netgear Orbi's and sell this Google garbage.

IanJamesOz
Community Member

One of my Wifi Points has been going off every few days for months. Whatever fix Google may have implemented last year certainly didn't work for me! It's so frustrating having to regularly power cycle the device to get it working again! 

Kdog
Community Member

I have started having the same issue for a couple of weeks. They need to fix this.

CodeMan
Community Member

So I'm going to update again for newer people to this thread, that ever since I have kept my smart home device total to under 30 devices connected to the google wifi (router & 2 mesh) I have not had the issue (hoping that I don't jinx myself). This is far below the stated device limit but it is what I have found. I figured this out when a family member would leave early in the morning, and with them their devices, but when they returned in the evening, when more devices were turned on in the house, as soon as they pulled up in the driveway and their devices hopped back on, the network would immediately crash and the house would lose internet. This was because when they returned, it was pushing the connected device count over 30.

Just my observation after dealing with this for quite some time.

Brucebo
Community Member

I'm also getting this problem almost daily