cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest wired 2nd node does not goes to 500 mb, only 90

Gleon69cr
Community Member

I have a 4 node network, but I am using 2 Google nest WiFi pro routers, I have 500 mb from my ISP, when I use the WiFi connection between my principal node and the second one, the one downstairs only gives 200 mbs, I tried to use it wired, instead of just WiFi, so I tested 3 different cables and on the 3 cables, only gives 90 mbs,  I called the ISP, if I connect a computer directly to the router it gives 500 mbs, but if I connect the computer to the second router it still gives only 90.  Any idea is welcome or any suggestion will be appreciate,  have a great day all

2 REPLIES 2

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @Gleon69cr 

Any time I see an Ethernet connection running at just under 100Mbps, I have to first suspect the cable or port. There are 4 pairs of wires (8 wires total), and if even one of those 8 wires doesn't make a solid connection, the connection will fall back to 100Mbps instead of 1Gbps.

You've tried multiple cables, but it could still be the issue. If they are stiff cat6 or better cables, they can end up not making good contact due to a tight bend required near the port connection. A more flexible cat5e cable may make a better connection.

You've tested a connection directly to the primary Nest WiFi Router unit's LAN Ethernet port, and it showed the expected speed. So, we know that port is good. That is the port your secondary Nest WiFi Router unit should be connected to. But, for that secondary Nest WiFi Router unit, you can use either one of its Ethernet ports. You haven't said which port you're using on that unit, but, you could disconnect it from power, and then connect your Ethernet cable to the other port than the one you've been using before powering it back up and testing again.

Lastly, I sometimes recommend moving the secondary unit temporarily into the same room as the primary and testing with a short, known good, cat 5e cable and running a test that way just to isolate where the issue may be prior to moving it back into the position you want it to be.

I hope some of these ideas can help you figure out where the trouble is – lots of people have made this work, so I expect you can as well.

The cable I used, I tested, is about 30 mts, and it worked  great, but when I was doing the installation, one of the cable terminals rj45 got stuck and when I pulled the cable inside the wall got rip apart, so I finish passing the cables and then I created a new RJ45 terminal, but when I connect it it only gives 90 mb, I tested the cable with a computer and again it only gave 90 mb, so it was the cable and it can be the terminals, I am still working on it, thanks for

your help and feedback