cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pretty disappointed in this community

Seanlaw27
Community Member

I reported an issue https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/New-puck-Connection-failed-while-adding/m-p/191033/...

Pretty much all of the "troubleshooting" was "what's the color when trying to set it up". Then obvious reaching question like `what's your IPS"? My IPS has nothing to do with adding a new puck to existing mesh and you know that. 

Not sure why we can't just admit that the hardware is defected. 

 

</rant>

13 REPLIES 13

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Here are some other steps you can try to get it working:


I don't work for Google.

Seanlaw27
Community Member

“Disconnect your existing network, set up the new 4th point as a entirely new network (requires a new temp Google Home home), let it update itself after setup. Then factory reset it”

The device does not recognize the network that I’ve plugged in. I’m unable to setup a new mesh. 

This hardware is broke and was shipped broken. Just admit it.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If it's broken, why don't you return it within warrenty?


I don't work for Google.

Seanlaw27
Community Member

Suppose that’s what I’ll do. 

He meant that it's broken in general, not just his unit.  The workaround you posted is ludicrous, as he pointed out.  This type of workaround that requires you to mess with the whole thing in such an elaborate way should obviously not be a normal requirement to get it to work.  If you're indeed "here to help", then help us get this through to the developers and urge them to fix it.  If not that, you're not facilitating a solution, but acting as a barrier to shield the developer team from taking their responsibility.

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

@SpottedQuoll wrote:

He meant that it's broken in general, not just his unit.


That's what I read it as too. So, return it or sell it, find a system that fits your (his) needs?

 


@SpottedQuoll wrote:

This type of workaround that requires you to mess with the whole thing in such an elaborate way should obviously not be a normal requirement to get it to work.  If you're indeed "here to help", then help us get this through to the developers and urge them to fix it.  If not that, you're not facilitating a solution, but acting as a barrier to shield the developer team from taking their responsibility.


I have no more power or connections than you have to reach the developers. I'm really just a glorified tech support doing Google supports work, for free, on my spare time. I'm just trying to make others lifes easier.

I agree, those workarounds shouldn't be neccessary. But you'd rather know about them than not? You'd rather get the thing working than going through the hassle of return etc.? That's what I try to provide when I share those steps.

As my short signature says: I don't work for Google, I get no money or benefits what so ever from doing this. Which makes me wonder why I even do it, tbh.


I don't work for Google.


@olavrb wrote:

@SpottedQuoll wrote:

He meant that it's broken in general, not just his unit.


That's what I read it as too. So, return it or sell it, find a system that fits your (his) needs?


This is not always an option (at least not without a possible cost) if you have already invested heavily in Google's ecosystem of hardware.  Note these products used to work pretty well with the old Google WiFi app.  Major problems only started to appear when the functionality was ported to the Google Home app.

 


@olavrb wrote:

I agree, those workarounds shouldn't be neccessary. But you'd rather know about them than not? You'd rather get the thing working than going through the hassle of return etc.? That's what I try to provide when I share those steps.


I don't disagree entirely, and appreciate the effort to try and help.  That said, I do have mixed feelings about this approach.  Once workarounds exist (however elaborate), there is less incentive to fix the bugs itself.  Additionally, once people implement workarounds, their warranty just evaporates over time, without ever getting the correct fixed behaviour that is advertised when the product was bought.  Again, I appreciate your personal motivation and effort, but I'm not sure this facilitates the actual bugs to be fixed.

 


@olavrb wrote:

 

As my short signature says: I don't work for Google, I get no money or benefits what so ever from doing this. Which makes me wonder why I even do it, tbh.

I think you should continue wondering about that.  Maybe some (not saying you) do it merely because of the "[shiny metal] Product Expert" badge.  They should realise a badge is not always an honour, if you're made to carry the responsibilities that come with it.  You might end up being an unpaid facade.

All right what information do you need?

EdwardT
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hi folks,

 

@olavrb, thanks for the help as always!

 

@Seanlaw27, thanks for trying the steps. We'd like to know more about this. Please fill out this form so we could investigate further.

 

Thanks,

Edward

EdwardT
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hi Seanlaw27,

 

Just checking back in, were you able to fill out the form? Let us know if you have questions and we'd be happy to assist.

 

Thanks,

Edward

EdwardT
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hi Seanlaw27,

 

Just checking in to make sure that you've seen our response. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns as I will be locking this in 24 hours.

 

Thanks,

Edward

Yeah lol. I just had a newborn and forgot about this.

Long story short, I got a new piece of hardware and everything worked as expected. If there is more diagnostics you would like to run on the defective device then let me know. Otherwise I'll be recycling it.

I consider this issue closed by purchasing a new unit.

EdwardT
Community Specialist
Community Specialist

Hi Seanlaw27,

 

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know that everything is working fine now. I will be locking this thread now. Please feel free to create a new thread should you have some more questions or concerns in the near future and we'll be more than glad to help.

 

Thanks,

Edward