cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Request Failed When Setting Up Router After Factory Reset

NoWifi
Community Member

TL;DR Has anyone figured out how to resolve the “request failed” message after a factory reset?

Context
Our family installed a mesh system with one Nest Wifi Router and two Points about a year and a half ago, and it was generally working fine with some occasional connectivity issues.

Last night, one of our Points wasn’t working. After unplugging it and letting it reset multiple times, it still failed to secure a mesh connection so I initiated a factory reset from the device (not the app).  When that didn’t work, I decided to reboot the whole system by factory resetting all three devices - that worked in the past to fix the intermittent wifi dropping issue.

Issue

As a result, the Home app no longer has the Wifi icon. When I attempt to set up the router from the app, I’m able to specify a Home, wifi name/password, and room but then it always fails while trying to “create wifi” and I get the dreaded “request failed” message.  When trying again, I get a “connection” issue, as though the original “create wifi” step seeded a partial network.

Attempted Fixes

I spent over two hours on the phone with Nest Support last night and combed through all the Help Center and other forums.  By now, I’ve performed a factory reset probably 20+ times.

We’ve confirmed that my modem is working by accessing the Internet with the default Nest wifi “setupXXX.X”SSID and don’t suspect I have a Double NAT problem because I only have a modem. I’ve also tried using a brand new “Home” and tried the setup using a different iPhone altogether, and even with different user logins.

At this point, none of our Google devices, like Chromcast, in our Home are accessible because we can’t set up and associate a wifi network with the home. It seems as though there’s a configuration issue. Lastly, we can’t even try the restart Cloud Services via Privacy settings workaround, because there’s no Wifi icon to bring up the setting.

Has anyone else gotten stuck at this point, with the “request failed” message after a factory reset?

96 REPLIES 96

StefanRe
Community Member

I have exactly the same issue as described above by OP! Is there any update how to resolve this?!? Tried everything mentioned in this thread without any sucesss!

OZE
Community Member

Running into this issue as we speak..beyond frustrated.  

Zablockp
Community Member

Has anyone found a solution. This is clearly something that is happening to a lot of users. What are the fixes?

I have not found a solution and guessing by the replies in this thread others haven’t either. As a long long time Google user I’m really disappointed that my ~$500 wifi system is sitting unused gathering dust for months now while I settle for poor home wifi.  We should all be receiving a replacement or refund in my opinion.

OZE
Community Member

I also quit messing with it and decided to move on to the Eero Pro 6.  Problem wasn’t my internet, it’s definitely a Google Nest Issue.

Strandable
Community Member

Any further updates from the google team? Just went through the efforts of factory resetting my system due to a point being offline and currently unable to re-setup my system. 

Pxnda
Community Member

Same issue…seems like hardly anyone got it fixed either. 

EastinS
Community Member

I FOUND A SOLUTION THAT WORKED FOR ME

First I factory reset my modem, waited for that to set back yo

then I factory reset my router, wait for that to set up

then delete and reinstall the google home app

then connecting to the router worked fine

after that to add any additional wifi points I had to factory reset those then they connected

Hopefully this helps!

Logicbombr
Community Member

I'm facing the same issue. It's disappointing how long Google takes to fix this mess. The truth is Google is pretty bad at hardware and is also becoming useless in software. This is the worst wifi router I ever bought. 

oskareichler
Community Member

Exact same problem here...

Logicbombr
Community Member

I was able to fix it. Here is what I did.

1. I reset the Google Wifi again
  2. Connected to setupXXXX network as requested
  3. Just after connecting to default network, I opened my phone browser and accessed the following URL:
    testwifi.here/api/v1/status

4. It will generate a report about the current status of your network.
  5. What I realized was that despite the Google Wifi saying it was connected to the internet, actually, it wasn't. My home network uses static IP, not DHCP so I had to correctly configure it on Google Wifi until the testwifi link showed the Google Wifi was really connected to the inter.

I think the problem with the message "Request Failed" on the last step is not actually the real bug. The request is failing because something is blocking Google Wifi router to connect to Google Cloud services and save the information you need to finish the setup. In my case, was the internet connection. Others may be some firewall or proxy. The testwifi.here link will probably tell you more.

oskareichler
Community Member

@Logicbombr Thanks so much, this is really helpful - I was able to get the status endpoint to return the following response:

{
"setupNetwork": {
"psk": "cfrgwjbjn",
"ssid": "setupDF270"
},
"setupState": "NO_SETUP",
"software": {
"blockingUpdate": 0,
"softwareVersion": "13729.57.27",
"updateChannel": "stable-channel",
"updateNewVersion": "",
"updateProgress": 0.0,
"updateRequired": false,
"updateStatus": "unknown"
},
"system": {
"countryCode": "us",
"groupRole": "none",
"hardwareId": "GALE C2I-A2A-A3C-A4I-E87",
"lan0Link": false,
"modelId": "ACc3d",
"uptime": 452
},
"vorlonInfo": {
"migrationMode": "weave_all"
},
"wan": {
"captivePortal": false,
"ethernetLink": true,
"gatewayIpAddress": "192.168.18.1",
"invalidCredentials": false,
"ipAddress": true,
"ipMethod": "dhcp",
"ipPrefixLength": 24,
"leaseDurationSeconds": 3600,
"localIpAddress": "192.168.18.54",
"nameServers": [
"192.168.18.1"
],
"online": true,
"pppoeDetected": false,
"vlanScanAttemptCount": 0,
"vlanScanComplete": true
}
}

It does say online: true

Does that mean it should be working, or how did you actually configure your Google Wifi router  to use DHCP or a bridge connection to access the internet?

I don't use DHCP, so I just clicked on "Advanced Settings" during the setup process and provided a fixed IP address allowed to be used in my network. And of course, also configured the correct gateway.

To me it looks like your settings is okay, but I can't say if the ip address 192.168.18.* is actually yours network IP. 

If nothing works, I really suggest you to reach them at https://twitter.com/madebygoogle . Show some angry  and they will be helpful. Worked for me LOL.

JJK
Community Member

While I appreciate your ingenuity, this may be beyond my own technical capabilities.  I'm left wondering why we would need to try and figure out different workarounds for a "plug and play" device that is now nothing more than a paperweight?  I think it's pretty outrageous that google has yet to identify a working solution and that we are all left attempting to problem solve it ourselves.  

This rant is not for you Logicbombr, it's meant for google.  I'm looking into other mesh network devices and doubt I'll spend money on future google hardware options.

Ur99
Community Member

Wow...just got a nest router today and have not been able to secure a connection to to the setup66EA.ybd network it's supposed to use to configure the device after trying on 4 different devices with 3 different people so I came here looking for a solution but it looks like I have spent $300 on two doorstops because there is no solution here? 😕

Skb423
Community Member

Add me in as another frustrated owner of four non functioning google Wi-Fi spots. Multiple factory resets; full power to our house shutdown, etc etc. 

santiagodoldan
Community Member

I’m also having this issue, any news about a fix?

Jackjhr
Community Member

I’m having this same issue, glad to see it’s not just me but would be good if we could get some guidance from Google as to how to fix it?

FK2
Community Member

Same problem here. IOS.

Varrex
Community Member

Having the same issue apple iOS and google home devices. Unable to setup $300 google router and over $500 in access points. Was working fine for 2 years now dead. 

time to invest in apple WiFi points?

FK2
Community Member

I was able to solve the problem by using my iPad instead of the iPhone. Not sure why but it worked. Below are some observations.

There are multiple errors that happen and one of them is "Unable to connect". This happens if setup failed before and your mobile device has already memorized the setup network of the Wifi Router. Solution to that is to "Forget Network". This doesn't solve the "Request Failed" problem but let's you move on.

If you want to look into what is happening at the router, you can connect to the setup network of the Wifi Router and on your browser go to: http://testwifi.here/api/v1/status . This will give you a json file of the current status of the router. It might have some insights to how to debug the problem. I didn't use it but I was told to generate it by support.

Varrex
Community Member
{
   "setupState": "NO_SETUP",
   "software": {
      "blockingUpdate": 0,
      "softwareVersion": "13729.57.27",
      "updateChannel": "stable-channel",
      "updateNewVersion": "0.0.0.0",
      "updateProgress": 0.0,
      "updateRequired": false,
      "updateStatus": "idle"
   },
   "system": {
      "countryCode": "us",
      "groupRole": "none",
      "hardwareId": "MISTRAL D2B-A2A-A3R-I5P",
      "lan0Link": false,
      "modelId": "MISTRAL",
      "uptime": 671
   },
   "vorlonInfo": {
      "migrationMode": "weave_all"
   },
   "wan": {
      "captivePortal": false,
      "ethernetLink": true,
      "gatewayIpAddress": "192.168.0.1",
      "invalidCredentials": false,
      "ipAddress": true,
      "ipMethod": "dhcp",
      "ipPrefixLength": 24,
      "leaseDurationSeconds": 86400,
      "localIpAddress": "192.168.0.59",
      "nameServers": [ "192.168.0.1" ],
      "online": true,
      "pppoeDetected": false,
      "vlanScanAttemptCount": 0,
      "vlanScanComplete": true
   }
}

that’s what the url brought back…. Pretty much what I expected. Device just says not setup. Like duh it keeps failing before it does anything. 

have tried on 2 iPhone and 1 iPad so far. Trying on another iPad now

Next option… buy a android tablet from Costco, setup the stupid google router then return android Tablet to Costco 

Varrex
Community Member

FIX!!!

FYI For what it’s worth, the fix is to buy a android Tablet. I just did this and was able to setup the google home without issue. 

The google home app on iOS is currently not supported per apple support. 

i recommend buying a tablet from Costco (90 day return policy even if opened) if you aren’t tight on money I’d recommend keeping it just for your google home but if money is tight return it right after setting up your network 

picked up a tablet at Costco today for $120 (3/25/2022)

Malberto625
Community Member

Maybe is too late for this, But... If someone still need an answer.

The workaround "Another alternative is to try disabling the Wifi assistant on iOS:" on Google aware of Nest Wifi point setup issue on iOS, there is a workaround (piunikaweb.com)

Helps me to setup mi router Google Nest Wifi.

KrysK
Community Member

Hi there. I thought I was going crazy here. I have also tried everything and nothing works. nI have installed it and when I thing I am doing everything well then I get the same message over and over again " Connection failure. Try again later" I need help please!!! any update???

Hi, 

If you are usin IOS, then I suggest to read and follow step by step the workaround that most suits you on:

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/12/02/google-aware-of-nest-wifi-point-setup-issue-on-ios-there-is-a-work... 

Hope it helps until a final solution from google.

Thanks Maberto... I am going to try and see what happens. Will revert tonight

KrysK
Community Member

Sorry I forgot to reply: Unfortunately not good news! Still experiencing the same issue, I even tried with an android phone as suggested previously and absolutely NADA changed! I deleted the app and even the home, reinstalled it and still nothing. I have officially tried everything said in is community chat and nothing... The devices aren't cheap at all, and I feel tricked by Google as o bought them overseas and I am now stucked with them. Google has my money and in return I have three good looking devices that don't work!

Looking forward to an answer that helps me install successfully this product.

jeevenm
Community Member

Having the same issue, wtf google. Spent so much money on these paperweights

Jackjhr
Community Member

I managed to get mine working. When trying to set it up before I had my old router in bridge mode. I rang up Google and they said to turn off bridge mode for the setup so I did that, and borrowed an android, and got the thing working with double NAT. Then I could go into the Google settings to set up the pppoe credentials and turn my old router back into bridge mode

Pinsandneedles
Community Member

I was finally able to get mine working after a very patient representative spent about three hours with me (and 5+ hours of hair pulling before that on my own). My situation could very well be unique, but want to post in case it helps anyone, as this was a nightmare. TLDR - firewall issues. 

I have fiber through Century Link (modem/router combo C3000Z - old). Google wifi (puck) had been working since 2019 until factory reset. I'm not technical, so bear with any terminology misuse. I had two networks before (ISP and Google wifi); I don't game and don't care about double NAT (albeit sometimes mildly inconvenient) with two routers. I was just trying to get back to that -- there are separate issues with Century Link fiber (hence DMZ solution, which is likely what I had before. I don't remember my modem settings; hadn't touched it since 2019 and didn't think to look before factory reset)... Google wifi is connected to my modem/router via ethernet cable.   

What ultimately worked - resolving firewall issues (potentially unique to Century Link fiber). I'm working from an iPhone, running iOS 15.3.1; set up from Google Home. 

• DMZ hosting w/my router... I recall needing a workaround with Century Link fiber, but not to this degree when I set up with old Google WiFi app. (Prior to this I tried IPoE; DMZ hosting without manually inputting IP address; PPoE doesn't appear to be a viable option with Century Link fiber where I am because of VLAN tagging; Google wifi - the puck at least - doesn't support VLAN tagging... I think PPoE is bridging?)
  • I had a VPN on my iphone (Cloudflare) that may or may not have been contributing to issue. The VPN reenabled itself after turning off; had to turn off at the app level. Ultimately not sure if this made a difference, but throwing it out there
  • Also turned off private relay in iphone settings (not sure if this made a difference as we failed a couple options before successful DMZ hosting)
  • Had iphone forget google wifi setup network (each try) and a connected bluetooth device that wouldn't disconnect
  • I used a unique wifi name and password every attempt to set up a network... again, not sure if this was something that helped, but ultimately the successful attempt was a unique network name and password
  • I wish we had tried DMZ hosting w/manual IP address input at the start so I'd know if the previously mentioned changes made a difference or I just did something dumb

Things I tried before support call (not necessarily in order)

• Factory reset of google wifi > 3x
  • Factory reset of modem/router combo
  • Resetting (unplugging) modem/router and google wifi; disconnecting ethernet from leaving both unplugged for 5 min; then letting modem/router boot up, then connecting google wifi ethernet, yada yada
  • Manually forgetting all wifi networks on my phone
  • Google home app: cleared saved wifi networks from google home; deleted devices from network (mostly for a different issue - my google home and mini precede every response to me with my name, which is annoying, but became the least of my problems); cleared home location and wifi networks again; deleted existing home and created new home (new home was run in parallel to one of the factory resets of modem/router and I set up a new network with new names and passwords & used that for google home "home" wifi and to set up key devices - e.g., Google mini)
  • Uninstalled Google Home app and reinstalled
  • Tried typing in the setup code instead of scanning QR as mentioned somewhere above

Additional notes - similar to another user, the "setup" wifi network appeared to work. I was able to browse the internet from my phone, but a new network wasn't created (and I couldn't access setup network from my laptop -- note, the status report users mentioned by other users shows the password; I just saw this and never tried that)... When attempting to set up a wifi network, the Google Home would initially "connect", prompt me for new network name and password, and would continue into a screen checking for updates. After a few moments I'd get a message saying, "Problem connecting. Please check if you're online."... I was online. 

Anyway, hopefully that helps someone! 

As a note, I just had to go through the set up process again. DMZ hosting was already set up on my Centurylink Gateway (Google Wifi was still assigned the same IP address; I didn't reset my gateway). I tried setting up the same wifi network (name/psw) without taking any other steps - fail. I then tried after turning off iphone VPN and private relay and it worked (same wifi network name as before factory reset). 

Not that it matters, but I factory reset the device (from Google Home app) because I was going to use a managed switch to bypass my gateway (switch to handle VLAN tagging) and let Google Wifi handle PPPoE. Changed my mind after breaking my ONT and reading Google Wifi isn't great with PPPoE. 

w1se
Community Member

After having a host of other issues with google wifi with 4 pucks total, decided to do factory reset and lo and behold….can’t setup.    Tried solutions mentioned here.  None work.

Would think that this would be a priority 1 issue for the 70% of users who have iphone.  

Worst. Wifi Product and support. Ever.

JAB22
Community Member

The issue is the main google router is not picking up an IP from your isp router what you need to do is assigned an ip manually to the google router in the isp router config menu which is usually 192.168.1.1 the password admin admin find the menu for putting static ip use the google router mac address to assign ip. should work just like mine 

w1se
Community Member

No this was not the issue.  My isp gateway is set to bridge mode and passes the isp assigned IP to google wifi.  

I did solve this eventually, the solution was to unplug all the Ethernet cables from the google wifi pucks which ran to my switch, then re-run the setup.  

At least, this is what worked for me. 

Marcom
Community Member

Just moved house, Wi-Fi network worked fine for about 12 hours, woke up this morning and it wasn’t. Did the factory reset and got the request failed page, attempted many of the troubleshooting suggestions in this thread. Nothing is working 😞 seems like this has been a known issue for months, what’s going on?

Tworiverfolks
Community Member

Seems like no further update w.r.t solution. I ran into the exact same issue. This is definitely some product defect. Looking forward to the update.

b8ne
Community Member

Try turning wifi assist off on your iPhone and then try. I just did this and it all worked. I’m thinking that during setup your phone connects to the routers setup wifi channel, but your phone thinks it’s a weak connection so reverts to cellular during setup, and therefore fails.

bobbryan
Community Member

Please power cycle or unplug the devices you have like the modem, Google Wifi Router and the Points for 10 minutes then plug it back in.

Installer_Guy
Community Member

As someone who installs these points for customers on a daily basis, here are some steps that I have tried to get past this issue:

If the problem is with the secondary G-WiFi points, try plugging them in with an ethernet cable to the main G-WiFi point

Disable private WiFi or VPN in iPhone settings set it up again. 

Factory Reset the WiFi points, then try and setup a different G-WiFi point as the main one.