cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scheduled network restart

nickp001
Community Member

Is there a way to schedule a Nest WiFi network restart?  I know I can use a smart plug and schedule an off/on, but I'd rather use a native method if at all possible.

269 REPLIES 269

ShellDude
Community Member

Apparently you have to return here and add pointless updates/responses for your thread to remain open, even after the "support" team acknowledges your issue.

I just noticed my own complaint thread about devices falling out and speed degradation requiring periodic reboots was closed with no explanation because I wasn't babysitting it daily.

This is after it was acknowledged as a legit issue.

Ddl
Community Member

I come back here with a reluctant solution as some posts suggested, using a timer. I am having a timer plugged on a wall outlet that is used for a power board to supply power for both ISP router and the Google nest main router. It is set as turning off the power for 15 mins at 3 am everyday. Since then, the problem seems never came back for weeks. I know it is not a perfect solution but a good work round that does the trick.

graves14
Community Member

Google Wifi user here, and I've tried to reboot everything else except the puck connected to my router, with no performance restored. When the network becomes "slow" the puck wired to the router must be rebooted. Once that's done, double the throughput and speedtests confirm this as well. 

The system I'm measuring the speed is connected by wire to the same puck. Not even a wifi issue in my case.

Same thing going on here, it's wired issues, wifi has no problems but I have to legitimately unplug the power from the router for it to restore the connection speed to the wired devices coming out of a switch connected to the nest router. Same issue if removing the switch and using one PC connected to router wired and one wireless, the wired is bogged down, wireless has absolutely no issues. It's strange, but I swear the router would restart the network every night. But obviously have the nest screen smart home devices confused with nest router.

What irks me even more is google support us dead here

DukeRoom
Community Member

I've had Google WIfi for years before it became Nest.  I loved it.  I recommended it to several people.  I recently added a garage to our house and purchased two "new" Nest routers.  Put the Nest Router as the main (as instructed) and the other Nest out in the garage.  Now, like everyone else, I have to reboot the system every week.  This is totally unacceptable, especially as this seems to a wide issue for months if not years.  Almost seems class action lawsuit worthy.  I'd love to return these two "new" nest routers and get the old ones.

My next test is going to be putting the old as the main router and maybe one new out in the garage and see if that works.  If not, I may buy an old one and try it.  There must be a reason the old ones are still available.   I'm a Google customer with many things, even the Pixel 6, but this is making me reconsider all things Google.  FIX IT!

fizzbuzz
Community Member

Just to pile it on, I am having the same issue with my NLS-1304-25s. I now have it hooked up to a timed outlet to manually restart it nightly. It's really brutal.

Cowstyle
Community Member

I too have issues with my nest wifi becoming painfully slow every other day and a reboot of the main unit is required. The speed gradually drops from approx 800mbit to approx 500mbit and then after about 48 hours it is down to <6mbit. Really frustrating, and I see many threads where people complain about the same issue. Frankly if there were alternatives out there with mesh units looking as good as Google (yes, I have these now purely for esthetic reasons) then I would return them to the store.

Surely Google has some statistics on these devices to tell them there are some serious issues with the firmware?

Nostu
Community Member

Same issues as above, my system needs to be rebooted daily at this point, or multiple times a day.....really terrible hardware or firmware....

Cowstyle
Community Member

Seems there is no activity from Google to fix this issue and daily restarts cannot be a continued solution. I'll try returning my units to the retailer

srai
Community Member

Restart, Restart, Restart.... This is going crazy. I have to restart almost a couple of times every day.  I see this thread, what the heck Google is doing for these months?  Very bad experience !   

If I don't restart the router, literally it drops to almost 10mpbs... nuts !  I am planning to switch to another carrier.

bds120
Community Member

We need to take action against this. Some type of legal proceeding to either get our money back or have Google fix the issue. I will begin this today looking into petitioning. I am going to get with one of my friends who specializes in class action lawsuits and I will report back. At this point Google is making a mockery of folks whom spent their hard earned money on a product which behind the scenes constantly updates but there has never been a fix for this. Even more of a slap in the face. Google I'm coming for you!

vldr
Community Member

This is not just an annoying little thing but a serious problem especially when people work from and rely on the internet speed pretty heavily. 

Saketh
Community Member

I purchased automatic timers to force a shutdown and cooldown for 30 minutes daily for my router and wifi points but I am now facing network slowdown and stoppage multiple times daily in all mesh wifi points. It is extremely inconvenient to have to restart the router and wifi points multiple times daily. 

Google: please advise on a meaningful solution. 

Cowstyle
Community Member

I've had to cash out for a replacement system as the Google Nest wifi is unusably slow and unstable.

elminster3k
Community Member

Just adding myself to the list.  If I don't restart once a day, it slows to a crawl.  I would even be okay if I could automate this reliably through the software, but as it is I usually hit the slow down when everyone in the house is doing work and school.  This only started happening for me about a month ago, but it is incredibly frustrating.  Guess they are still working on the fix?

More like just ignoring the issue altogether...

bgilly
Community Member

same behavior happening, I've had the 3 puck system for several years, never needed restarts, but starting a couple weeks back the speeds would slow from 100mbps to < 1mbps over a day or two. rebooting the puck connected to our modem immediately restores it back to 100mbps.

Nostu
Community Member

So one way I have stopped rebooting the router is to initiate a network speed test from my Google Home app, that seems to get the router in a "good" mode again.  Wonder if this works for anyone else? 

graves14
Community Member

Nostu, which device did you run the network test against? Can you detail which test you ran exactly, I can try that next time. Thanks!

Nostu
Community Member

So if I would run a speed test (i use either speedtest.org or the built in google one) on my desktop or phone connected to the the wifi during a slow period, it would read something around 10 Mbps download, but if I did the speed test form my Google Home app from my phone it has never read slow, always the expected 200 Mbps, which I would then repeat the test on my computer and it would always read the correct 200 Mbps again.  I have done this at least 5 times with the same result. 

bgilly
Community Member

this resolves it for me also, I validated that after 8hrs it had slowed to 50% of normal, ran speed test in GoogleHome app and it's back to 100%.

Eraser
Community Member

That doesn't make sense why that would even work but I tried it anyways. It didn't make any noticable difference at all. Rebooting is the only reliable short term fix.

Glad to here this is working for some people.

vldr
Community Member

It makes a lot of sense if the issue is software-related. And it all started with one of the updates from Google. Probably running the google-native speed test triggers some event that performs some action i.e. clear cache, service restart... or awakes a service/modue that mistakenly got into "sleep" mode. I don't know what exactly it triggers but in my case speed gets back to the maximum. 

vldr
Community Member

Thanks for a great tip! It really works and it's much faster than rebooting the whole network!

Thejas
Community Member

Thanks! Seems to work but disappointed an end-user had to come up with a temporary solution. Definitely better than, rebooting and waiting.

Wow, I'm so glad I found this post and seeing other users have the same experience that I do; unfortunately, I'm having to run a speed test from the Google Home app daily to get my speeds up again, very frustrating!

vldr
Community Member

Hey Google! Please read this comment https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Scheduled-network-restart/m-p/169013/highlight/true... It looks like running "Speed Test" through the Home app gets things back to normal. Hope it will help to troubleshoot the issue. 

This is also working for me it seems.  Tried it today and it cleared the problem up.

DKM
Community Member

piling on ... same issue .  will try speed test in home app rather than resetting WiFi.  a pain !

ninerdriver
Community Member

Same issue here and going on restarts for over a year, just tired of it.  I'm going to try and return mine to Costco, hoping they'll take it back without issues...

rhutnick
Community Member

Issue occurs for me as well. Will try the home app speed test in 24 hours when it happens again 😞

Djiizez
Community Member

Experiencing the exact same issue as described above. I am baffled by Google's non-existence in this thread. I will now ask for a refund and recommend anyone asking to avoid Google Nest wifi altogether 

Jack7
Community Member

I am having the same issue here...any idea if a fix is in thw work anytime soon. I would love to see the option to at least in there interm schedule wife reboots.

PeterBak
Community Member

How many access points do you guys have on your network? I got a couple of extras really cheap from friends who had discarded them, so I started out putting up 1 Nest router, 3 Nest Wifi and 2 Google Wifi points up spread through the house. And then I had the issue with the network slowing down and had to restart everything once or twice every week. I then powered off 2 Nest Wifi and 1 Google Wifi point, because it was perhaps overkill with so many anyway in my house, and I am now left with 1 Nest router, 1 Nest Wifi and 1 Google Wifi point running. It has been this way for 4 months now, and I have only restarted the network once or twice. 

Coverage is fine - I just have to live without the ability to play music in each room from the Nest Wifi points. The reason why I need the Google Wifi point is because I need to hook up something to the network with a cable as well.

Saketh
Community Member

In recent weeks, the daily restart has stopped working for me. I now find myself having drastic slowdowns and losing the Mesh wifi connection at least 2 times and as many as 5 times every day! It is so irritating that for my primary work devices, I have them directly on the ISP (Frontier) network and while the ISP network bandwidth reduces from 500 Mbps to around 100 Mbps as I move to the farther corners of my house, at least it doesnt drop to 1 Mbps or stall the way the Nest Mesh is. 

Google: Please help fix this! 

chunpunzee
Community Member

I’m experiencing the same issue these hundreds of users are complaining about. I have to restart my network at least 3 times per week. 

what does it take for Google to fix this issue that they have known about for over a year? Class action lawsuit?

Saturday I will be switching to an Asus ROG strix router and not having to worry about this non stop **bleep**. In reality the nest router is outdated , doesn't offer wifi 6 or ip v6 which is a new standard.  Was one when the nest router came out also. However, this is what it's done for me. I'm removing the entire nest infrastructure from my home network and next every Google home device if they do not want to act properly. 

chunpunzee
Community Member

I wish the Product Manager for this crappy product had the guts to come here to explain why they continue to sell defective products and have no clear response or resolution for the customers duped into buying their garbage.

I agree, I updated to the nest from a netgear nighthawk that didnt have a firmware update for 4 months with a known backdoor, nest was updating on the weekly at that point, a year in i just switched to an asus strix router and havent had an issue yet, infact, wifi has improved, even though this unit has a wifi 6 and ipv6 and nest doesnt offer this, it still has longer distance than the nest router and im no longer losing network connection to google home devices (lol @ their own router couldnt handle the traffic) i also rcv faster internet now than what I pay for and thats been due to updating to this router went from a normal 170mbps to a steady 210 and highest the isp offers is 200.  so again, best bet is to bail on this router- they are working on their new version and said screw the rest of us. 

Oh I also forgot to mention that stadia actually runs better on the asus router vs the nest router