cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Slow network speed on Google WiFi mesh

krilleny
Community Member

I seem to be having the same problem as so many others - Wifi slows to a crawl, and I need to run a 'Test Mesh' to get it to work properly again. It works for a while - a day or so on average - and then I have to repeat the process.

This has been reported by MANY users for A LONG TIME. It is shocking to me that a company with Google's resources would leave this unaddressed for so long. But Google's brand has become synonymous with indifference to customers.

Seems clear Google doesn't care about providing a resolution, so I guess I need to get rid of this system and replace it with something more reliable from a better company with actual customer service. I wonder how much landfill is taken up by non-functioning / discontinued Google hardware products. Probably a lot.

74 REPLIES 74

GregE
Community Member

Same same same

I am using AT&T Fiber. I have great speeds 500Mbps and the Google Mesh has been great for 2yrs.

Something changed about 2-3 months ago.  Since then randomly my connection will slow to a crawl and after running the Speed Test via Google Home it comes back.  I should note that Speed Test  generally fails on first try and works on the 2nd try. I have tried all sorts of trouble shooting but it still occurs and totally random 

Is Google monitoring this thread?

Clearly something going on.  

Please Google give us a real solution 

conla
Community Member

the same here - I need to restart all devices to get back speed back. I guess this seems to be the only solution - to switch off and switch again once a day.

conla
Community Member

I have the same issue - but this is not a BUG - please look at the answer provided by Google above - you just need to restart devices (that is what I understood).

GregE
Community Member

@Dan_A are you listening?  Can you help escalate?  Lots and lots of us are all having the same issues. 

I am pretty sure Google Dan split after everyone piled on. 

Guys, Google is well aware of what's going on with their mesh router. It's been happening for 2+ years.

... And they just fired/layed off a bunch of their engineers. Wifi / retail is not core to their business aspirations. Google Hardware and Services division isn't what it used to be. It's slimmed down to just phones now. 

danielkogut
Community Member

I face the same problem as so many others: 500 Mbps at the router and 10-15 Mbps on Google wifi, even 1 ft away.
I had a device with this issue before, and after calling assistance, they told me this was happening only to me.
So I bought a new one and guess what? Same problem...
It's good to see this is not happening only with me. After so many calls, all the customer services representatives said this never happened with other clients before.

They were even trying to blame Spectrum, my internet provider. When I switch to the spectrum router, it is working smoothly.
I've spent hours on this with Google tech assistance (countless restarts/reboots). Every possible diagnostic showed no issues and there is no fix.
It is clearly some software issue, and we clients need to play around to figure out the issue.
My wife and I work remotely from home so we need a good internet quality. After almost 2 months trying to fix it,  I GAVE UP. I will request a refund on this Google device and buy another mesh network from another manufacturer.

dwirdenius
Community Member

Same problem here.. I have 1gb speed from my ISP and getting decent download speed when standing next to thehardwired router (500mb+) but utterly rubbish  when connected to a mesh point or even 20 steps away from the main router (anywhere between 7-20mb).

I have tried all the suggested solutions like reset, factory rest, moving around the points, custom DNS, cloud services etc but it is still horrendous. 

Ldipietro90
Community Member

Same issue here. Worked very well for years but last 6 months has been bad. Reset every other day for it to work maybe a day or two. Unplugging for 2 minutes doesn’t do anymore than a reset does. 

dwirdenius
Community Member

I solved it by binning my nest network and by a new router and mesh system. Works perfectly now with exactly the same placements on the points etc. 
Went from 10mbs to 700mbs 

Jimswms
Community Member

I'm having the same.  Blazing fast" at the modem (848) then slow at the mesh. Come on google. Step up and fix this!!  

EnglishLevy
Community Member

Just a terrible experience with Google support today.

Choices include tolerating a poor investment, or accepting the loss and purchasing another option.

Dricus
Community Member

I am having the issue since I have been using Google Wifi gen. 2. The speed declines so far down that I don't have access to the internet and I can't open the settings of the router. Tried everything thing to fix it. The only temporary fix is unplugging the router and satelites, wait for a few minutes and plug it back in.

Google gives us a fix or advanced setting so that we can reboot the router and satelites on a schedule.

Wasteoftime
Community Member

Ohh look a thread with all of us having the same issue.  Maybe just in time for the holidays to push the sale of new routers and WiFi satellites Google, taking a play from the Apple playbook. Time to switch brands it appears. 

Jimswms
Community Member

It's good if I reset the entire system for a few days. Google must've pushed an update on us. Hopefully,. another is in the works. Happy that I'm not the only one!

MattSteitle
Community Member

Same issue. I'm not even trying to get close to our 850Mbps download speeds the Google Mesh speed tests claims. Right now, I'm getting around 2Mbps at any device. Sometimes it's upwards of 50Mbps, but it's temperamental and undependable. I've tried every suggestion in this thread and nothing seems to make any long-term improvement. The G now stands for Garbage.

Jimswms
Community Member

Curious what everyone sees themselves inevitably switching to? I suppose this thread could evolve into what's best. I switched to this last year from Orbi that lasted about a year. Sure do miss Verizon FiOS at my old house ... 

Dricus
Community Member

Before I had the Netgear Nighthawk mesh (MK62). Netgear demolished it with a faulty firmware upgrade. Also you could cast to your Google hub/mini because it didn't relay the traffic.

Restarting the whole Google WiFi mesh every other week solves my issues. Going to automate that soon.

nestuser91304
Community Member

Same problem here. Speeds at <20 Mbps, but then after running a speed test on the Google home app, it goes back up to almost 500 Mbps. Slows back down within a day. 

danielkogut
Community Member

I just requested a refund and bought an ASUS mesh wifi for the same amount, and it's running smoothly as expected. This is life... It took me 3 minutes to set up.
Google Mesh never more... I had a bad experience with the hardware and the support team.

Inwoodite
Community Member

I also finally threw out the Google Mesh and bought an inexpensive ASUS Wifi6 system, works perfectly.  Hardwire speeds at the router are the same but over wifi they immediately jumped up to 250 Mbps from 60 Mbps.  Google experience was just awful, really changed my opinion of the company.

german1513
Community Member

I have had this same issues and started just a few months ago.. so frustrating that this is an old issue and has not been fixed.

tmack8001
Community Member

Even after the cloud services toggling fixed my problems 2 weeks ago with an agent... I called again today... cause the same darn thing happened and that "workaround" didn't work. Now on hold as they escalate to their manager.

ryams27
Community Member

I'm having the exact same problem, except Test Mesh isn't doing anything to solve my problems. Wifi is at an absolute crawl with my Nest Wifi. 1.2 Gbps service. Getting 15 Mbps down!  At absolute best, I will get 100 down, which is still a fraction of what it should be. I'm at an absolute loss.  After investing about $1500 in Google/Nest wifi products between my home and office, I am washing my hands of them & will never again purchase their garbage.

jazbanter
Community Member

Same as everyone else... every few days my wifi speed drops from over 250 mbs to less than 10 and the only fix it is to restart the network (I haven't tried network speed testing).

Sadly, I spent 100s of dollars outfitting my whole house with google mesh. Given the number of complaints here (and from my workmates), wondering if a class action is in order.

WingsOfDaidalos
Community Member

Yep, you guessed it. Same issue. Is a refund possible even if I bought it months ago, when it doesn’t work as promised?

motojlin
Community Member

Same issue here. Got 800M/20M internet service from Xfinity and the Google WiFi router claims 837Mbps/23Mbps. But, the mesh only can deliver <80Mbps (sometimes only < 20Mbps) downlink speed. I've tried to factory reset the router and whole mesh network, didn't work.

Jimswms
Community Member

TPLink deco arrived yesterday. 15min later I'm at 860modem/480-790 all over the house. YouTube opens and streams immediately with zero lag everywhere. 

Hey Google, take your system and shove up your &#@. I'll be reconsidering a pixel and moving away from Google as much as I can. Yeah, that's hard/impossible but when there's a choice I'll take it. Shame apple is as big of a monster..

bjmcniff
Community Member

Same issue a month and a half from the last post - 700mb in but only 40-60mb from the wifi devices....

EnglishLevy
Community Member

Just wanted to let the community know I trialed an orbi setup which worked fine, but I ended up cabling a physical backhaul, and then tried the nest WiFi again and my problem is no longer evident. 

I can only assume the issue therefore is with the wireless backhaul - in my case at a least.

I have a cable connected and problem occurs every other day - but solution is to restart all devices and indeed problem will disappear for couple days.  

you saying that with Orbi you do not have this problem? do you know what model you bought - I am just looking at Orbi 960 do you have that one? please advise

conla
Community Member

the same here - I need to restart all devices to get back speed back. I guess this seems to be the only solution - to switch off and switch again once a day - I was thinking it is only me - but now I see this seems be a "normal" device behavior.  

conla
Community Member

btw I just read that Google has new generation of the device which I think is incompatible with old one - I think the problem is solved in that new one - need to ready more. But again I agree with Dan you can restart the devices once every other day and problem will disappear for couple days - I can confirm his solution works.

RobInMA
Community Member

Another thing I noticed is that I cannot download anything from the Google Play Store while connected to the Google mesh wifi network.    I can with my cell connection and also with my router's wifi network.    I spoke to Google a few times about this and they were zero help.   Just someone reading a script and giving silly troubleshooting steps.

markdj
Community Member

I had the same issue with slow wifi speeds but this has fixed it.

markdj_0-1705190118988.png