cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Which ethernet por should I use in this case?

marsonlucas
Community Member

Hey guys, howz it going?

Here is my setup:
2 ISPs -> Mikrotik RB750gr3 -> Switch -> PC / TV /  Google Wifi (GJ2CQ)

I've instaled a Google Wifi unit  at my backyard  but the wifi signal from the other 2 mesh units that is inside the house is weak in this area...

I have a cable that comes out of my switch and goes directly to this area in my backyard!

So the question is, which of the Google Wifi ports (Wan or LAN) should I connect this cable to have a strong wifi signal in that area of ​​the yard?

Best regards,

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @marsonlucas 

First and foremost, you will need to ensure any wired secondary is connected to the primary Google WiFi unit's LAN port – you can't connect it to an outer network (the switch in between your Mikrotik and the primary Google WiFi unit). The primary Google WiFi unit is a router+firewall, so any wired secondary access point needs to be part of the "inner" network created by the primary.

So, assuming you can get your Ethernet cable to the back yard connected to the primary's LAN port instead of the upstream switch, you can connect it to either WAN or LAN port on the secondary Google WiFi unit in the yard.

Here's a support page with more details: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7215624?hl=en 

View Recommended Answer in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @marsonlucas 

First and foremost, you will need to ensure any wired secondary is connected to the primary Google WiFi unit's LAN port – you can't connect it to an outer network (the switch in between your Mikrotik and the primary Google WiFi unit). The primary Google WiFi unit is a router+firewall, so any wired secondary access point needs to be part of the "inner" network created by the primary.

So, assuming you can get your Ethernet cable to the back yard connected to the primary's LAN port instead of the upstream switch, you can connect it to either WAN or LAN port on the secondary Google WiFi unit in the yard.

Here's a support page with more details: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7215624?hl=en 

Hello @MichaelP, how are you?

Thx for your reply.

Please, let me know if this is the right wiring to do:

ISPs Cable to ->  wan port GJ2CQ (Unit1) -> Unit1 Lan Port to Unit2 Wan port -> Unit2 Lan Port to Unit3 Wan port.

Is this the right wiring scheme?

Regards

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @marsonlucas 

That topology will certainly work. If you can pick up an inexpensive (unmanaged) Ethernet switch – even a small 5-port switch – using that in between the Unit1 LAN port and Units 2 and 3 may be a little more reliable. But, it's not critical.

Dear @MichaelP  thx for your fast reply... 

I have 2 ISPs and the Mikrotik makes the Load Balance / Failover management, the switch that I'm using right now is a unmanaged one...

The original setup is: 
2 ISPs -> Mikrotik RB750gr3 -> Switch -> PC / TV /  Google Wifi (GJ2CQ)

Should I change the setup to:

2 ISPs -> Mikrotik RB750gr3 -> WAN PORT - Google Wifi (GJ2CQ) -> LAN PORT (GJ2CQ) -> Switch -> TV / PCs / Google Wifi (GJ2CQ) unit 2 and 3 ?

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Yeah, that would be a good change to make. That way, all of your devices (wired and wireless) will be on the same "inner" network as each other (created by the primary Google WiFi unit).

Perfect, I will try to make that and will be back here to post the results 🙂

One last question, did the wire from the switch to unit2 and unit3 should be connected at the Wan Port (green globe) or lan port (<->) ?

Best regards,

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

On a secondary (units 2 and 3), you can use either port. But I would pick one and stick with it consistently. 

Hey @MichaelP , how are you?

I've just made the new wiring scheme following your kind recommendation, seems to be working prety good 🙂

Here is my new setup:

A) 2 ISPs -> Mikrotik RB750gr3 (Load Balance / Failover management);
B) Mikrotik to Google Wifi (GJ2CQ - Unit1 - WAN port) @ the same unit the LAN port is attached to ETH1 switch port;

C) Switch ETH2 port to GJ2CQ - Unit2 - WAN Port;
D) Switch ETH3 to GJ2CQ - Unit3 - WAN Port;

E)
Other switch ports goes directly to other wired devices such as TVs / PCs / etc.

P.S: Unit 2 & Unit 3 has a strong and reliable wifi signal now 🙂

Everything seems to be running prety well, I will test for a couple of days and give a feedback here.

Many thanks for you help! 😀