cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wifi question

Akb1978
Community Member

Hi - I’m sorry that this is a basic question. I’m interested in getting Google wifi as I understand that you can put in parental controls where by my kids are blocked from using the wifi at certain points in the day. I have just commenced a wifi service with Talk Talk and want to know if I need Talk Talk in addition to Google wifi? Sorry I’m sure this is basic question! Thanks in advance for your help. 

3 REPLIES 3

olavrb
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Nest Wifi is just a regular home router with built in access point, NAT and firewall. You will need a modem to convert whatever comes in to your house (fiber, coax, dsl), to internet on a ethernet cable.

About parental control. I'd not buy Nest Wifi router just for that. It used to work great some years ago, but now that Microsoft, Aplle and Google devices have started randomizing the MAC address, scheduling kids internet will not be reliable. More about that, and other alternatives, in a previous thread I posted to:

I don't work for Google.

Akb1978
Community Member

Hi - thanks for taking the time to reply. My kids use iPhone and Xbox. I’m not so worried about the content as I am able to monitor that, I was just wondering if there is an app / device which lets me block their access at certain points in the day rather than me having to patrol and constantly ask them to come off? 

Ricarido
Community Member

If that is the case Google Wifi or Nest Wifi will do since in Google Home App you can group your kids devices and schedule a certain time when they can access internet connection.