cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired / Wireless Upload speeds capped at 100mbps? ATT Fiber

sliderkb2
Community Member

I have gigabit internet through att fiber and just bought a google nest wifi 2 pack a week ago. Setup was a breeze and everything looked good until I noticed my upload speeds were capped at 100mbps on every device behind the nest. Google advised a replacement so I did just that. Everything looked perfect for a day - i was getting expected speeds for wired at 800mbps and wireless was around 300 - 400mbps up and down. I check today - same issue as before where all devices are getting great download speeds but capped at 100mbps upload. I found out, however, that if I select a device as priority in google home, that device now works as I expect. Its like the nest is throttling every device in my network for some reason unless i say otherwise. The priority settings fixes both wired and wireless settings. Im pretty sure the problem must be on the Google side since that change fixes the issue. If I could prioritize all devices 24 hours a day, I would be happy with that workaround 🙂

For reference the setup is

ATT ONT --- ATT Router (bypass mode) --- Google Wifi

Wifi has been disabled on the ATT router and that router is now simply forwarding all traffic to the google nest. I put in a ticket with google who requested I put the router in bypass mode and force DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, These changes made no difference. They then requested logs and are reviewing the files I sent them via the home app and will get back to me. During testing, they told me not to prioritize a device but thats the only way things work as they should. Im seriously considering returning the nest wifi but wanted to hear if anyone else had issues like this. Again, two different nest routers having the exact same issue. 

I put in a ticket with ATT who said there should be nothing on their end throttling the traffic. If I plug my computer into the same att router port as the google wifi (move the nest off the port, then replace with my computer), the computer links up at a gig and the speeds look fine. 

832 REPLIES 832

SmokinDeezee
Community Member

Good morning, I struggled with this disconnecting and dropping issue for over a year.  You can find my original post here which is only a few months old but the problem far exceeded this time frame.

I scoured the internet for multiple fixes and tried nearly all of them.  From calling Google Nest support and allowing them access to my router and logs to factory resetting all of my points and turning off cloud services.  Unfortunately, nothing worked.  I decided to dive into my ISP, Spectrum Cable, and ensure without a shadow of a doubt it was my mesh system that was the problem.  Hopefully what I found may help some of you.  Through multiple tech visits and service desk calls, I was able to pickup verbiage and questions that Spectrum used and use those same questions when calling avoiding the need to consistently wait for a tech.  What I found was the strength of signal going into and out of my modem was incredibly weak and while my modems online connection would only drop for fractions of a second at times, it was enough for the router to detect and report that outage to the points and then all devices on my network.  There were times when it was much longer but it was the “micro-drops” that I believe did the most damage.  Imagine unplugging your ethernet cable from the modem for 6/10th of a second every few hours.  It will cause havoc in todays IoT devices.  After roughly 6 service calls and all, literally all cable, splitters, and jumpers were replaced have I been drop/disconnect free for the last week or so.  The final tech who came out said there was minor damage to the feeder line coming into my house which could have been the cause of the drops all along.  My router was put on a watchlist by the local supervisor and monitored for drops for 3 days with none recorded.  Previously, I was experiencing “micro-drops” every couple of hours.  Call your ISP and ask them to check the signal levels on your modems and find out if you’ve had any reported drops in the last week.  I can’t speak for other providers but Spectrum systems keep a log of your offline time in the last 7 days.  Even if that time is 10 minutes, that could be 600 one second drops in 7 days.  Dig in and make them fix what you are paying for.

Thanks!  Although this isn’t my issue.  I pay for 1GB/1GB but router caps at 100MB/100MB.  No issues with drops or signals.  I do a complete factory reset and it works normally for a few days and then goes back.

Vidmar
Community Member

@Jeff Is there a known fix for this issue yet? It seems a little absurd that this has been going on for so long. If there is no fix is there at least a refund process so we can get a reliable wifi system in place?

The only way you’ll get a refund is if you have purchased this thing recently. I bought mine a year ago from Costco and most likely will not get anything back. 

That, or we file a class action lawsuit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Yeah 😔. Not sure it’s worth all of that. I do see that Amazon will give you a credit for turning them in. Maybe I’ll just go that route and snag the Eeros 

GeneHunt
Community Member

Where are you seeing this offer from Amazon please?

Vidmar
Community Member

Well that didn’t work. Try searching for Amazon Router Trade In on Google

mmenard
Community Member

Same issue here, it's crazy to wait for a fix for such a long time ..

dmchao
Community Member

Eero Pro 2nd Gen (Wifi 5) are having a sale on 3 pack bundles through Feb 28th. I held out for long enough. 

Going to buy from Best Buy and return if it doesn't solve my issues. 

sliderkb2
Community Member

I'm done. Found the trade in link from Google (adding here)

Amazon Router Trade In 

Bought the eero pro 6 2 pack for $399 and am getting $100 trade in credit for the Google wifi. 

I'll reply back with an update next week on the upload / download speeds. Thanks for nothing Google.

problems
Community Member

Could they have a Design Flaw in the Device? I notice it gets hot. Maybe they know they would have to replace all the hardware so a firmware fix will not cut it. It is amazing that you cannot roll back the firmware to a known good to test this.

dmchao
Community Member

The answer is always a maybe, but I took one of these apart once, it does not have the power electronics that would generate failure and interference that you're describing in my experience with PCBA design. Also, many users in this thread experienced no issues prior to some firmware updates last year. 

I finally have joined the fix club! I installed my Eero Pro 3 pack today, and have 400 of my 400 paid for speed. Woohoo! @Jeff 

I'm convinced it's a software issue because you can use the app to Prioritize a device and that device works fine for however long you set it.  As others have said, it wasn't an issue before the firmware update last fall.  That firmware seems to have fixed some issues but created others.

briarius
Community Member

I note a lack of updates from Google regarding this issue since they "resumed" troubleshooting

guilhermesalema
Community Member

@Jeff be honest with us, google will not fix this trash product right?

They have obviously moved on,  and time for us to do so too 😞

Google need to be sue for putting out faulty product. Their false advertisement is eating away their loyal customers who have given them too many chance. 

K13
Community Member

I have a solution ! Get an Eero Router 🙂

Seriously, I'm no tech slouch and I put a ton of time into getting Google Nest to work. Google's support is completely ineffective, and despite me having some early success tweaking settings - after a couple weeks my issues returned.

I tried one competitor - Orbi - and that was awful, Great hardware but terrible UI.

The Eero on the other hand is perfect ! Great hardware, excellent UI - even better than Google Home !

I wholeheartedly recommend Eero to all of the frustrated users here. I'm quite happy with Eero - it is Orbi-level hardware with Google level UI/intuitiveness.

My google nest is boxed up and currently listed on Ebay... where it belongs. This experience with Google has soured me on not just their wifi, but their whole ecosystem. I'm now branching out into Alexa and Homekit - which Eero seems to support well. Google lost a lot of goodwill, for a lot of users, with this move. It's one thing to have a buggy product, and another entirely to not support it.

But of luck to those still holding in... I recommend getting an Eero and cut your losses by selling the google nest (or using the Amazon trade in). Looks like to me like a used Nest Router will get around $50, and each point about $30.

Not great, but it will help defray the new Eero costs.

rickangeles
Community Member

This is exactly what I did, except I can’t bring myself to put my google mesh system on eBay. I just can’t bring myself to sell it to someone else knowing the issues it’s having. I wish I would have known about the Amazon trade in deal. My google mesh system is in my eero box in the shed until I can figure it what to do with it. 

K13
Community Member

@rickangeles  And that’s totally fair. However, I’m hoping the factory reset before selling, and its new owners potentially having a different use case than me - which may avoid these google software bugs. So there’s not a total guarantee new users will have the same poor experience. Too many variables.

Also - I believe you can still get the Amazon trade in. Just google “Amazon router trade in”. You can get both an amazon gift card credit AND a 20% discount on a new eero. So, even if you already bought your eero and don’t need the 20% discount, you could still get a $100-$150 amazon gift card.

rickangeles
Community Member

That’s amazing! I didn’t know that. I’ll have to trade it for some Amazon bucks for sure! Thanks for the head’s up! 

Also, Eero Pro 6E and Eero 6+ just got announced today. And I think the previous Eero 6 Pro and Eero 6 might have gotten price decreases

DavidCo
Community Member

I'm tagging out. Finally got Google to refund me and received the prepaid UPS shipped labels earlier in the week. Tuesday I got the TP-Link Deco x20 and my Wife is saying that her phone hasn't dropped WiFi once. Only been two days but my Mac appears to be fine as well so far with no drops and full 500 / 50 speeds.

Best of luck to you all

Lando1
Community Member

How did you return it? Just tried, & got a run around. I bought from Amazon & they are part 30 day return window because I've been trying for code to a year to make them work properly. Thanks.

DavidCo
Community Member

I'm in Dublin, Ireland and I purchased directly. As previously mentioned we have very strong consumer protection laws in the European Union. See my earlier post on this in the thread above from January 26th:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Nest-Wifi/Wired-Wireless-Upload-speeds-capped-at-100mbps-ATT-...

5Gs
Community Member

Hello everyone, Same problem here. I have AT&T Fiber 1Gig up and down with BGW 210 modem. I have 3 Nest Wi-Fi Routers, 1 wired to the modem and the other 2 back-hauled through Ethernet cables. I get 500-600mbs download speed when tested with the Home App, and 100-120mbs upload speed. I have reached out to customer support for this issue and was told to set DNS to 8.8.8.8. This only made it worse by causing mesh connection issues with the other 2 points. I am here to help sort this out and get the speed advertised on the product. 

rickangeles
Community Member

Good luck! It seems the only way to get reliable internet from these things is to just unplug them and box them up while you connect a different brand. Google is no help. @Jeff  has been MIA for a whiiiiiiiile now. Even he knows there’s no hope with these pieces of junk. 

sliderkb2
Community Member

I started this thread and can tell you to just return / sell now. It hasn't been fixed in nearly half a year and some report worse. No problems with eero pro 6 out of the gate

100% can recommend Eero6! 

Gamewizard
Community Member

Not sure if just got lucky but I tried hooking each point up as main with hardwire then put them all back where they originally were and restarted network and my hue bridge and now I have full speed after months of 80mbps instead of 500mbps

5Gs
Community Member

Interesting. I may give that a go. Thanks for the input. 

Report back when it fails 🙂

guilhermesalema
Community Member

Today it's becoming impossible do anything. All my devices is disconnecting every 10 minutes. @Jeff Be Honest!

guilhermesalema
Community Member

Ridiculous the way Google is treating us. Abusive, ilegal, they put products on the market that does not do the primordial function! ^#^#^# @Jeff are you in a shame position?

RicardoAlves
Community Member

I am also having the same problem first time I installed the wifi point the set up wisard was saying it was too close to the wifi base but being the place I had a socket and it looked useful I left it there and ever since it worked for 1 year and a half, now it is complaining it is too far from the base but I have not moved it a mm from where it was and every morning the wifi point is offline, speaking to google support now 3 times over this problem they asked me to do the same thing!!

I asked for a replacement, it doesn't make sense that of the sudden they are pointing to different issues but not a fault in the device, working with networks for my bread and butter and knowing my own set up I reckon this is a hardware or firmware problem after some recent update in 2021...

TBH it was a great device for around 1 year why screw up it now!?!?! Since they put a Google logo on a Nest device they ruined the Nest product liability!!

jrcolegrove
Community Member

Has there been any solution to this yet?!?!  We are having the same issues and have checked with our ISP and it is not on their end.  We paid a lot of money for these and they're not working. 

I asked Google wifi support for a replacement my device, complicated process asking me for my GPay before they sent a replacement, (day 1) I am still on the wait to hear from them, the wifi point or base  definitely underperformed/became faulty losing signal, so under EU law you can request a replacement, not sure if the same applies to you but worth a try

guilhermesalema
Community Member

We are still here waiting for solution @Jeff

5Gs
Community Member

I have given up on Nest Wi-Fi. I’m trading them in to Amazon and have already ordered the eero Pro 6 2pack. Will be setting them up tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone hoping for a fix.