cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Wired / Wireless Upload speeds capped at 100mbps? ATT Fiber

sliderkb2
Community Member

I have gigabit internet through att fiber and just bought a google nest wifi 2 pack a week ago. Setup was a breeze and everything looked good until I noticed my upload speeds were capped at 100mbps on every device behind the nest. Google advised a replacement so I did just that. Everything looked perfect for a day - i was getting expected speeds for wired at 800mbps and wireless was around 300 - 400mbps up and down. I check today - same issue as before where all devices are getting great download speeds but capped at 100mbps upload. I found out, however, that if I select a device as priority in google home, that device now works as I expect. Its like the nest is throttling every device in my network for some reason unless i say otherwise. The priority settings fixes both wired and wireless settings. Im pretty sure the problem must be on the Google side since that change fixes the issue. If I could prioritize all devices 24 hours a day, I would be happy with that workaround 🙂

For reference the setup is

ATT ONT --- ATT Router (bypass mode) --- Google Wifi

Wifi has been disabled on the ATT router and that router is now simply forwarding all traffic to the google nest. I put in a ticket with google who requested I put the router in bypass mode and force DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, These changes made no difference. They then requested logs and are reviewing the files I sent them via the home app and will get back to me. During testing, they told me not to prioritize a device but thats the only way things work as they should. Im seriously considering returning the nest wifi but wanted to hear if anyone else had issues like this. Again, two different nest routers having the exact same issue. 

I put in a ticket with ATT who said there should be nothing on their end throttling the traffic. If I plug my computer into the same att router port as the google wifi (move the nest off the port, then replace with my computer), the computer links up at a gig and the speeds look fine. 

832 REPLIES 832

JohnsonC
Community Member

I realize this exact issue was dated back to Sep 13, 2021 and it's now Jan 27, 2022. I cannot believe here I am encountering the same problem that many had experienced and voiced out to google, but google has not listen and take action to fix. I purchased a router and a point with the July 4th deal and later brought an additional pointer hoping to provide a stronger connectivity. It should have been an overkill for a 1200 sqft house. (Google advertise one router and two pointer to cover 5600 soft). Oh boy, I was so wrong. Even though I have Att 1 gig fiber like many of user here, the speed is reduced to half at each pointer. By the router, 3############mb download, 100mb upload capped like many is saying here. Open kitchen about 27 feet away, no wall, 130mb download, 60mb upload, and worst in the garage, about 15 feet next to kitchen, only getting 130 download  and 50 upload.  Despite the mess connection show in great connection, it's unbelievable how the mesh network sucked. I called Att and they advised me to make the att modem in bridge mode, then nest wifi tech just told me to set DNS as ISP. It did nothing. I am guessing that they will ask me to factory reset my nest router. I keep on asking the tech what will happened next if this doesn't work, he said he already done everything he can, so it would be escalate to next level tech to diagnose. Immediately, I know this is bad news, because it has been a design flaw all along and yet they advertise it as if its nothing. I want to gather some information here as I am considering legal action against google for putting something so faulty in the market and deceive the customers. 

I can prove this issue exists since December 2020. There was a lot of topics talking about Disconnects, but when Google moved the content to the this new Community they also deleted the old topics.

Screenshot_20220128-002919_Gmail.jpg

Now Jan, 2023 and still issues ... Ha

DavidCo
Community Member

After 2.5 days my lost was disconnected from WiFi today. 😭😡

Not surprised but very disappointed. Obviously I've got in touch with Google again and I'm awaiting they reply.

dmchao
Community Member

@Jeff are there any updates? Can Google confirm there is resources actually assigned to this effort? As far as I can tell, a known issue can languish for months.

Michael1909
Community Member

Hi all. I can 100% confirm that this issue is related to the google cloud services that are used to análise and collection the data of all the devices in the network. I assume that those get cashed and probably too much data being send out the more devices you have. Once you disable and reboot the system things get normal again. Unfortunately you then lose visibility  and also some third-party cloud services that connect to google home, apparently also stop working, as the cloud services is not able to connect to the devices. 

I am just curious how all Nest wifi tech is not aware of this. 

They're but they decided to do nothing. There is more than 2.000 replies asking for a fix on this community.

This did not fix my issue. Cloud services disabled and system has been rebooted. Still getting 119mbps up 

unfortunately also on my side it onky worked for two days. noe back to heavily reduced bandwidth 

gardnmi
Community Member

Same issue here.  Called support and they were no help.  My Google wifi worked flawlessly for years until a couple of months ago.  All are hard wired into gigabit internet and I get sub speeds into sub 10mbps sometimes.  Last Google product I'll ever purchase.

unhappy-nest-us
Community Member

Talked to a representative/tech today about this very same issue. They claim that this is how "mesh" works, that it is a feature to provide lower bandwidth. Feature my ***.

Yeah that's a crap statement from them!  Like everyone, mine was working perfectly at 50mbps here in Aus for about 6 weeks, but in the last 2-3 weeks the max I can get when connected to the Nest wifi (wired or wireless) is between 20 and 50mbps, plug into the ISP Modem and 50mbps no probs again.  I'll  be taking mine back to JB HiFi for money back as Google don't seem to have a fix (or care about one).

DavidCo
Community Member

I had another WiFi drop yesterday in the middle of a business call. Not acceptable.

I went out and lunchtime and got a brand new Cat6 cable and to my surprise I am only getting one hundred mb download speeds (no really surprised but a little sarcasm is always needed in these situations).

I tried their solution, a replacement router, now we'll try mine, a full refund and a product from an alternative company.

rickangeles
Community Member

Just to let folks know:

Eero is having a sale on their Eero6 mesh set up. One router and 2 wifi points for $195. I got this and an extra wifi point and have been without issue ever since. 

Is Eero6 capable of shipping 1G bandwidth? I looked it up and seems only Eero 6 pro can do that. Thanks!

Eero 6+ and 6E just got announced today

• This is good to know. I had a 1 hour call with the google support yesterday and they mad me do all the usual stuff, cable, reinstalling everything, reboot, wait 10 minutes, disconnect all cables etc.etc. and also change the DNS to a internal google IP. 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 ( stuff i did before). Nothing helped. not surprised. They pretended not knowing of this issue. All BS

383ci
Community Member

G'day from Australia

Well, it seems I am also affected by this issue. I did not find this information before buying my Nest WIFI 3 pack. Bugger. I have my internet via a 5G cellular-based service. Before this issue presented itself, I was able to achieve 650ish Mbps down and 80ish Mpbs up. I went to a mesh WIFI setup as the WIFI provided by the supplied 5G modem just wasn't stable enough.

No issues for the first 3 weeks, then I noticed the speed seemed slower. So I checked the home app and noticed the speed test result was 145Mbps and 60Mbps up. Next speed test, same again.

I have tried all the usual things, rebooting and resetting the modem and/or Nest WIFI. Nothing, same results all the time. I have tested wired into the modem and I get full speed. Test via the modem WIFI, I get full speed.

Wired into the Nest router, limited speed. Nest WIFI, limited speed. This is when I found this and all the other threads on the Nest community pages.

Spent 1 hour with Google support yesterday, trying to find out when a fix is coming. They did not acknowledge this was a known issue, I was told programming has not advised support any issue with downloading speed exists with the Nest WIFI at this time. We troubleshot, I sent my system logs and WIFI channel info. The best I got was, we will pass this up to next level support and try to find you a solution.

Like some many now, please Google admit this is an issue exists, say that is is being fixed, and give all of us a date when that fix will be rolled out.

Disappointing

sleeplessinseat
Community Member

I have the same issue 600Mbps internet connection and all I am seeing on the laptop is 110Mbps. Tried disabling cloud services and restarted the APs. Now speeds fluctuate between 300Mbps and 430Mbps. Big improvement from before but nowhere close to the 600Mbps that I used to get before. At this point, I will take whatever improvement I can get.

Amazing. How do you disable cloud service? How long does speed maintain at 3/400 Mbps? a few days or forever?

sleeplessinseat
Community Member

I found this information in this thread. Google Home > Wifi > Settings > Privacy Settings. I disabled both cloud services and usage stats for good measure and restarted router and access points.

I can't speak to the longevity of this fix since I just made these changes an hour ago and its still holding up to 300 - 400 Mbps range.

Don't hold your breath!

TJAG
Community Member

Same issue here, Gigabit Xfinity connection... ~100Mbps wired, ~150Gbps wireless.  Can't believe how long this issue has gone unresolved!

Ag1986
Community Member

I really wish I would have looked up this thread before I decided to cut spectrum and go with AT&T one gig fiber.. I have four Google Wi-Fi pucks set up in my home all first gen. I have each puck hardwired. So from the internet modem to a Google Wi-Fi point hardwired. 2nd Ethernet port on that same wifi point back to a 5 port network switch.. than the other 3 points all hardwired back to that 5 port network switch.. when on spectrum, I was paying for 400mbps and each of the 4 points was broadcasting 4############mbps on wifi (again because the first gen has 2 Ethernet ports so I hardwired). Now that I switched to at&t.. only 1 wifi point gets 500down/400+up while the other 3 points only give around 1############mbps.. I'm so pissed! Hardwired to the AT&T provided modem that also has five ethernet ports is fine.. I get 900down/850+ up.. but The rest of my Google Wi-Fi hardwired points.. garbage! It has to be on AT&It's side!! Fix that **bleep**!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi. It is not ATT as many of us are experiencing this issue with many other ISP’s . It could be a combination of certain HW / SW protocols but sure its more on Google side. I have two ISPs and same issue on both after it had been working fine for more than a year. Also replacing the Google Nest HW with other mesh products resolves the issue. Unfortunately Google seems to be totally ignoring it

best

You are correct. I actually factory reset all 4 of my Google wifi points (1st gen) and reconfigured with AT&T's new modem each one at a time..solved my issues. I have them all hardwired and back hauled to a network switch going into my ISP modem. Each point caps at around 550down/500up on Wi-Fi testing. Hardwired, each one will average around 800+down/750+up. But I can live with that for now. I'll eventually probably replace the Google wifi mesh system with a different system that truly supports 1gigabit through wifi with wifi6.

Hi all. something very strange is happening. In may network where i use 5 Nest WIFI points, Suddenly the have been remotely factory rest one-by-one (not me). And suddenly also the speed is back to normal, however first the Point showed to be offline (and still are showing this), then the connected devices went to 0 and now the internet is also showing as not available. However all devices are there and i can access my cameras streams etc. normally. I assume google is doing something here. The problem is that this home is 10’000km away from where i normally live, hence should something really happen i’m screwed. Anyone else having now sudden ghost factory resets?

If someone factory reset the network with their own e-mail address, this is exactly what the result would be.  I was about to say they turned off cloud services (which would make the devices 0) but you’d still be able to see there was an Internet connection.

Note that I’m not saying that IS what happened, but that would certainly replicate your results.

Ag1986
Community Member

Google wifi mesh system is honestly.. only great if you have all points hardwired to your modem or a network switch. I own 4 points myself and have them all hardwired/cabled into a network switch which then that switch is going straight into the AT&T internet modem. I pay for 1gigabit fiber (1000mbps). The first gen of the Google wifi supports 1Gigabit but only "hardwired" into one of the Ethernet ports (or network switch into ISP modem) on the actual point. Over wifi, it caps out at around 550mpbs down/ 500mbps up. Hardwiring and back hauling 100ft/150ft Ethernet cables sucks.. but once all Google wifi points are hardwired, you'll have excellent wifi signal. Sure, most people will say.. cabling defeats the whole purpose of "wifi mesh system/no cables" but after experiencing 2 years of my 4 points being on solely wifi and dealing with crappy Internet speeds, constant reboots of all the points.. Hardwiring each one was the best thing I ever did! 

Ag1986
Community Member

I had a similar problem with my first gen Google wifi points. I switched from spectrum to at&t 1gigabit fiber and was only getting less than 200mbps on each point.. and that's with each point hardwired/back hauled to a network switch that was being plugged directly into AT&T's modem.. I had to factor reset each of my points and reconfigure them one at a time with the new at&t modem. Once that was done, each of my points cap out at 550mbps down/500mbps upload. Of course hardwired to the network switch gives me 930 down/900up. But for now, 550/500 on each point is fine until I upgrade to another mesh system which truly supports 1gigabit on wifi.

Hi

Sorry to ask u a probably stupid question. As i understood from your message you  have a switch connected to the ISP and 4 Google Nest Point hardwired to that switch. Wouldn’t you then get 4 separate networks or can one still connect them to one mesh even if your point are only connected via switch to each other. Im asking as in my configuration that didn’t work and all my point had to be somehow daisy chained in order to get only one network. Maybe i did something wrong. Brst

wireddave
Community Member

Disabling the cloud services did nothing for me except 1. Make the devices invisible in the app and 2. Turn off my parental controls.    What actually did work (temporarily) was prioritizing a device.  This restored my faith that my Nest Wifi router is capable of delivering the speeds necessary - it just chooses to only deliver that speed to a device that's temporarily given priority.  @Jeff - I've submitted feedback, but can you make sure the engineers know this "workaround" is effective, if only for one device, up to 8 hours at a time?

Michael1909
Community Member

Hi all.. Something very strange happened today. All my nest WIFI Points and Access points were one by one factory reset remotely (NOT by me). For the entire day, all point showed to be offline, the internet icon turned red and no devices could be shown. But the network was still working. Not 12 hours later all is back to normal and believe it or not, my speed is back to the normal high speed values again. No clue what happened and if google has done something in the background., Is my only explanation .

bczz0923
Community Member

Same issue here. 400 Mbps Xfinity on Comcast modem router but <65Mbps on Google Wifi Gen 1. Astonished to find this thread with no substantial resolution for almost half year.. Move fast Google!

The thing is, they have moved on. They have no real motivation to fix this, otherwise they would have. It’s not difficult for a company like theirs to roll back a firmware update that borked their product. They just don’t want to. 

they moved on, everyone else should too. Move on to a product that actually works. 

rahulav
Community Member

We are facing the same issue, I am paying for 940 Mbps from RCN (Astound) and at random, the connection drops from most devices to a slow speed/will not connect at all. We have 3 pods in a mesh configuration.

Gregooooory
Community Member

hi,

I have a mesh consisting of Google Nest WI-FI Router, another router wired to the first acting as a point and three points. after several calls and factory resets and after I've spent countless hours on the phone i still have network speed dropping to 0 and nest cameras and other google devices reporting no internet. 

I hope there is a fix soon. otherwise ill have to get different WiFi. Working from home a running a business with intermittent internet is impossible.

(Any suggestions for good WiFi is appreciated...)

I would honestly ditch this mesh system. It’s pretty much garbage now. 

if you’re running a business that needs reliable internet, get the Eero6 mesh system. 

Mspangle
Community Member

I have the same issue for months now any updates?