cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Would this daisy chain system work?

MedialA
Community Member

I have most of this in place already.  I'm just wondering if the Nest wifi side of things will function in this example as I currently have abysmal wifi coverage in my small 2 bed house using the ZTE router and would love to have WIFI outside too:

ZTE MF286D 4g router in bridge ----> Nest primary, 4x Gosund smart sockets, 8 Gosund smart bulbs, TV, phone, laptop (inside house)

\|/ (10m cat5)

Goalake POE+ switch --->Nest secondary, 4 annke IP cameras, 3 Gosund smart bulbs (outside house)

\|/ (75m cat5)

Goalake POE+ switch ---> Nest secondary, 1 annke IP camera (top of drive)

\|/ (220m cat5)

Goalake POE+ switch ---> Nest secondary, 1 reolink IP camera, 1 Ring doorbell, (bottom of drive)

1 Recommended Answer

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @MedialA 

A couple of notes. First, as long as your switched network is built from the LAN Ethernet port on the primary Nest WiFi Router unit, a tree of switches under that will work fine. The primary Nest WiFi Router unit should be the only thing directly connected to your ZTE 4G router/modem.

Second, from a quick search, it doesn't look like Goalake POE+ switches are smart/managed. That's a good thing, since you want to make sure your switched network doesn't have loop detection (spanning tree protocol – STP) enabled. That causes problems when wiring secondary WiFi units.

Lastly, and most importantly, when you say "Nest secondary", I want to make sure you know that you're not trying to use Nest WiFi Point units in this configuration, since they don't support Ethernet (wireless mesh only). Now, if you're planning to buy multiple Nest WiFi Router units, and set one up as the primary and the rest as secondaries, that will work. Alternatively, Nest WiFi Pro units will also work in this configuration.

Here's a support article with more details: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7215624?hl=en 

View Recommended Answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MichaelP
Diamond Product Expert
Diamond Product Expert

Hello @MedialA 

A couple of notes. First, as long as your switched network is built from the LAN Ethernet port on the primary Nest WiFi Router unit, a tree of switches under that will work fine. The primary Nest WiFi Router unit should be the only thing directly connected to your ZTE 4G router/modem.

Second, from a quick search, it doesn't look like Goalake POE+ switches are smart/managed. That's a good thing, since you want to make sure your switched network doesn't have loop detection (spanning tree protocol – STP) enabled. That causes problems when wiring secondary WiFi units.

Lastly, and most importantly, when you say "Nest secondary", I want to make sure you know that you're not trying to use Nest WiFi Point units in this configuration, since they don't support Ethernet (wireless mesh only). Now, if you're planning to buy multiple Nest WiFi Router units, and set one up as the primary and the rest as secondaries, that will work. Alternatively, Nest WiFi Pro units will also work in this configuration.

Here's a support article with more details: https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7215624?hl=en 

MedialA
Community Member

Hi Michael,

Spectacular, thank you!  Yes, you're right, the switches are unmanaged.  I muddle my way through this sort of thing so its very reassuring when someone who knows what they're doing can confirm the plan will probably work before I shell out beer tokens.  

Thanks for the clarity on the router/point issue.  I think I did have that understanding at one point but I probably read too much and confused myself. I definitely don't feel like I can afford the Wifi Pro but will be looking for the Nest routers immediately!