cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Secure Cancelled - How to Request a Full Refund for Your Nest Secure Products

RealHumanPerson
Community Member

I just learned about Google's embarrassing decision to cancel Nest Secure, both in the cloud and locally (for some reason). This will actively disable thousands of security systems w/o warning, as their single solitary e-mail with an obfuscated misleading title is not enough of a warning when it comes to PROTECTING OUR FAMILIES. Very few Nest Secure owners are aware of this upcoming termination.  The coupon to purchase a replacement system from ADT is insulting, and we all know it. 

Thankfully, there's a SOLUTION that all Nest Secure owners can use.  Here's what worked for me:

1. Contact Nest Support using their 'We call you right away" option. 

2. Be very polite to the Nest/Google employees. They work in a call center and they are not responsible for this decision.

3. When they answer, verify your account, confirm your call back number, make sure they have your correct e-mail for your nest account, and have your original order # from when you first purchased your Nest Secure.

4. Politely ask for a 'Full Refund and Return for my Nest Secure Device, Nest Detect Devices, and my Nest Tags.  Give them your original order # and any details they request. 

5. The call center employees are instructed (forced) to decline your first 2 Refund Requests and will emphasize their offer for the "hush money" to sign up for ADT.  Don't worry, their script forces them to say this. 

6. Calmly say, "Thanks but I would like to move forward with the Full Refund & Return for my soon to be non-functional security system."  

7. Continue to be calm, polite.  They will try to claim that you ordered via the "Nest Store" and this is the "Google Store" (or Vice Versa) and that they still cannot help you.  Again, remain polite and calm.  Repeat Step 6. 

8. In your most relaxed voice possible, repeat the phrase, "Thanks but I would like to move forward with the Full Refund & Return for my soon to be non-functional security system."  

Eventually, they will relent and being processing a full refund for all of your soon-to-be discontinued devices.

This worked for me and I wish you all the best!  If this gentle, honest, human approach to this debacle also worked for you, please reply to this thread and let us know how it went.

I believe Google will do the right thing and reimburse all of their Nest Secure customers. For now, we must each call one-at-a-time to start this process.  Thanks and good luck!  

Best of luck friends! No customers deserve to be treated like this and I'm SO HAPPY that Google has realized their mistake and has  begun offering  full refunds to us.  

1 Recommended Answer

I haven't gotten anything. 5 full systems (and about a dozen detect sensors)

View Recommended Answer in original post

11 REPLIES 11

laurenneural
Community Member

Thanks! This worked for me! 

summersofar
Community Member

Are they instructed to also refund devices purchased elsewhere? 

iammillerman
Community Member

As summersofar brought up, I am guessing there will be heavy pushback on people who purchased their products off the Google Store, ie, big box stores, eBay, etc. In the State of Maine we have an implied warranty law that states products must work for a suitable amount of time (4 years). I know this because I just used it to get Home Depot to refund me for a $550 air conditioner that stopped working after 2 years. The act of them bricking the devices goes directly against that.

Additionally please join the Change.org petition I started back in April. 

https://www.change.org/SaveNestSecure

C2A
Community Member

Would the refund include all Nest cameras and doorbells purchased as part of the system? Or would it only be fore the the alarm and detects?

I'm not sure. For me it was only my Nest Secure, Detects, and Fobs.  I didn't ask to return my Nest Hello doorbell because I felt it isn't part of this shutdown.  Call them, ask nicely, and see what they say.

GOOGLE:  Thank you so much for your mature change-of-heart and customer-foward thinking when it comes to this difficult situation.  Thanks for the full refund.  Perhaps google could set up an automatic form to submit our Refund requests? That would be easier than calling. 

summersofar
Community Member

I just wasted even more of my time on this. Azzhole reps refused to refund a $98 order of two Detects from 2021.

RealHumanPerson
Community Member

Who else has received a full refund for their Nest Secure due to Google's decision to turn our product into landfill waste and leave our families unprotected? 

I haven't gotten anything. 5 full systems (and about a dozen detect sensors)

Sorry to hear that. That's so many sensors that could keep working for years to come. 

Like I've posted before, the more attention we can get, hopefully we can attract a class action law firm. 

https://www.change.org/SaveNestSecure

You really should update your posts for clarity as we are proving that you simply got lucky.