cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Calls through Google Nest Mini show as Private Number

Yamipirogoeth
Community Member

I have 4 Google mini's (1 Google Home mini, 3 Google Nest Home mini's) that I have connected to my Google Meet account for voice calls. My Google Meet account is set to my Google Voice number so I can identify when calls are coming from the speakers. However I noticed when I have tried calls from any of them the calls show on my cell phone as "Private Number" which kind of defeats the purpose.

I have gone through steps I have found to make sure you have a number set for your caller ID as such:

1. On a mobile device, open the Google Home app.
  2. At the top-right, tap the account icon.
  3. Verify that the Google Account on screen is the one linked to the speaker or display. To switch accounts, tap the dropdown arrow > choose another account or Add another account.
  4. Go back to Home view  > select Settings > Communication > Call providers.
  5. Under Your own number, tap Edit > Add or change the phone number.
  6. Enter the phone number, then tap Add.
  7. The customer receives a text with a code. Enter the code, then tap Verify.

Unfortunately calls are still coming through as "Private number" when I ask Google to call. I just want the calls to show my Google Voice number when calls are placed.

8 REPLIES 8

LeoG
Community Member

I am having an exactly the same issue. We use Nest devices as an intercom equivalent, so I can call my wife in the family room from my study on another floor. It all defaulted to Google Meet (using the Duo alias on the device) for years. And then last week it started to use Google Voice instead of Google Meet (Duo) by default when I ask the device to call smb. The recipient was getting not a Meet call, but a regular voice call (we are using Google Fi) shown as Private Number.

It looks like a change in default settings, and I would very much like Google to revert this detrimental change.

I have also gone through all the instructions and HAVE NOT FOUND A WAY TO TURN GOOGLE VOICE OFF ON A DEVICE, SO THAT IT CANNOT BE USED. I would appreciate to learn how to do that.

BUT there is a simple temporary workaround: when calling someone just add "on Google Duo" at the end of the sentence, and the call would be initiated as a Google Meet call. Now I am calling my wife using this template: "Hey Google, call <name> on Google Duo". It works well.

SenseOffender
Community Member

Also having this issue. Pretty terrible I can't tell my family member is calling me over the phone. Needs to be addressed.

LeoG
Community Member

I have double-checked that adding "on Google Meet" at the end of the request is also interpreted correctly. Just say: "Hey Google, call <name> on Google Meet". It will be connected as expected.

This doesn't work on phone calls to phones without Google Meet, though. Previously, for years this has worked by utilizing a Google Voice number to call from the hub to any phone, and it would be routed through as a normal phone call. Now, when you ask to do this, it comes through as a Private Number.

Alas, in this scenario we are fu***d...

Hi Yamipirogoeth,

I am sorry that your contacts appear as “private numbers” despite you already added them to your account.

I suggest following these steps to sync your contacts manually, this will help us to confirm that the app will recognize each contact correctly.

You can also follow these steps in case the app does not allow you to sync your contacts:
Android:

• Try Unsyncing the Gmail account temporarily. Try this a few times.
    • Settings > Accounts > Google > Select the account > Uncheck Gmail > Check Gmail.
  • Remove the Gmail Account and set up again.
    • Phone Settings > Accounts > Google > Select the email account > Remove account.
  • Re-establish the account.
  • Clear the app's cache and data.
    • Open Phone settings > Select Application manager > Swipe to All > Choose Gmail > Clear cache and data.
  • Decrease the days to sync.
    • Open the Gmail app > Settings > Select the account > Days to sync > Try limiting it to 30 days or less.
  • Make sure that Background data is enabled.
    • Phone Settings > Data Usage > Scroll down to Gmail and make sure that Restrict background data is not selected.
  • Try Syncing over Wi-Fi only (Airplane mode) or Over your network only.

1. IOS: Make sure the Google Account is connected to the iPhone or iPad using SSL, the recommended secure connection.
    1. Open the iPhone or iPad's Settings app.
    2. Tap Accounts & Passwordsand thenGmailand then Select the Gmail Accountand thenAdvanced.
    3. Switch USE SSL on .

d.  Try adding your account again

Let us know if this works.

Regards, 

Angel 

Thanks for the details. Regrettably, in my case the focus is different. I do not want Nest Home to use Google Voice at all. A month or so ago all calls initiated via Nest Home ("Hey Google, call <smb>") were automatically routed via Google Meet by default. Then it changed to Google Voice on its own (including calls showing as Private to recipients). I simply want to get this default setting back and exclude Google Voice from the list of calling methods.

Can I do that?

Thanks, Leo

Hi LeoG,

Thank you for letting us help. We apologize for the automatic change to your calling method.

To prevent Google Voice from being used for calls, unlink Google Voice and Google Meet from the Google Home app. Then, re-link only Google Meet. You can find instructions in this article:
Unlink your calling app or service

Hope this helps

Regards,

Angel