cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Home Hub Child Mode - Disable Touch Input

ryannemeth
Community Member

Can you please implement a child lock function on the Home Hubs where the touch input is disabled. maybe a pin or certain swipe to cancel out?

It does not seem like a difficult problem to solve for such a large company, but I do not know.

I have may Home Hubs and a toddler, he loves them too and will touch it any time he can, often changing the lights and heat/AC.
1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This would be great right? I’d encourage you to also send this feedback directly to Google. You will not receive a response, unless Google need more details from you, however the team are still reading the feedback.

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

This would be great right? I’d encourage you to also send this feedback directly to Google. You will not receive a response, unless Google need more details from you, however the team are still reading the feedback.

I have submitted this as feedback many times over the last 4 years without even an acknowledgment of the request. It's not a good system.

I have a toddler who won’t stop messing with all the smarthome features (and watching YouTube/making phone calls). Child mode is a wonderful idea, and a great alternative to me simply shoving my Home Hub in a closet. 

Buhrandone
Community Member

I also agree that a child mode or "disable touch screen"  mode would be fantastic. 

I have an 11-year-old and also a toddler and I don't want either of them to be able to change settings or activate services simply by touching the screen.

The entire reason I purchased my THREE Google Nest Hubs was for the voice control, not to be able to touch the screens, necessarily. 

GOOGLE HUB IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE AN OPTION WHERE YOU CAN LOCK OUT VOICE INPUT AND ONLY ALLOW SUPERVISED GUESTS OR ONLY ALLOW AUTHORIZED ACCOUNTS TO ACCESS THE DEVICE.

THIS IS FLAWED AND DOES NOT WORK. MY 11-YEAR-OLD CAN CONSTANTLY GET GOOGLE TO DO THINGS EVEN THOUGH HE IS SPECIFICALLY BLOCKED FROM DOING THOSE EXACT THINGS THROUGH A SUPERVISED ACCOUNT. IF I DIDN'T HAVE THREE OF THESE ALREADY, THEY'D BE IN THE TRASH AND I'D BE USING A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT HOME DIGITAL ASSISTANT HUB.

HALF OF THE GOOGLE SERVICES ON MY PHONE CAN'T EVEN INTERACT WITH THE GOOGLE HUB AND I'VE HAD THE HUBS FOR YEARS.

IT'S GETTING TO BE MORE AND MORE OF A JOKE AS GOOGLE PULLS MORE AND MORE SERVICES AND OPTIONS AWAY THAT USED TO EXIST. 

AS A SIDE NOTE WHEN YOU BLOCK OUT ALL ACCESS TO ALL VIDEOS ON THE GOOGLE HUB DEVICE, SEARCHING FOR THEM THROUGH THE GOOGLE SEARCH STILL ALLOWS THEM TO BE PLAYED, JUST NOT THROUGH SPECIFIC VIDEO SERVICES. VERY VERY POOR PLANNING AND PROGRAMMING ON GOOGLE'S PART.