cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Multiple devices responding at the same time

seknav
Community Member

Issue began week of December 20.

I've had multiple Google Home and Nest speakers in our home for years. Nothing has changed in the past 6 months. 2 weeks ago, multiple speakers are answering when the wake command is issued. I say 'Hey Google, what is 1+1?' and two or three speakers will respond with the information or action that has been requested. There are four speakers on the floor I'm on. One that I'm next to, and others in completely separate rooms respond. There is one in a bedroom (2nd gen Mini) and one in the bathroom (Nest Audio) which regularly go rogue. The other in another bedroom is silent.

I understand that upon hearing the wake command, multiple devices negotiate with each other to decide which will respond. In this case they don't seem to be following that procedure (the one in the other room or the bathroom jump in even though the one I'm standing next to is closest).

I've rebooted the devices and the wake sensitivity is already set to low.

Why is this happening and how can I resolve it?

I have read existing articles but this specific issue (multiple devices on the same network responding to one wake command) is not covered.

I asked this question in the Google Assistant community but was asked to post it here.
1 Recommended Answer

KiiFromGoogle
Community Manager (Admin)
Community Manager (Admin)

Hi everyone,

We recently worked with a Senior Product Manager on the Google Assistant team to write a blog about about what's happening when multiple devices respond to your Google Assistant requests. She shared some tips to help improve which device responds to requests overtime. Be sure to check out the blog post for all the detailsFAQs: Using Google Assistant and Multiple Devices.

While this thread is now closed, we started a new discussion about this topic to gather feedback. You can also submit feedback for the team through your devices at any time. 

Thanks! 

View Recommended Answer in original post

473 REPLIES 473

Honestly, it's several problems.  My hub will restart itself for no reason.  If I didn't have so much invested in Google I would have already switched.  I'm on a fixed income and will likely be changing though.

Interesting.  Mine recognizes literally everyone.  People on TV, my family members.  If someone stood outside my open window and said, "hey Google, turn on living room lights", it would.  How's that for security?  

jcolson
Community Member

Google!  This issue is MASSIVE.  Please ROLL BACK to what you had working just fine 4 years ago!!!

Bitz09
Community Member

Any luck with this, it is driving my family nuts.  I have a Mini that answers two rooms away.  I have two first generation Hubs in the bedroom, one on each side of the bed (smart alarm clocks).  and while they are thinking about answering, the Google Home MAX anwers in the next room.  This is getting CRAZY!

Just the canned response about troubleshooting!!!!! Nothing changed in my house.... It's Google's fault but they won't admit it....

Yup, same crap.  This is getting progressively worse, and has been for the past 6+ Months.  I have a huge investment in Google stuff and I'm ready to dump it all.  Don't get me started with my POS Pixel 6 phone.

We all need to go to the top, to "Rooster 194"'s comment and report it as "inappropriate content".  I did.  I reported it as such and said it is listed as an accepted solution, but that is not true.  That's a total lie.  Whoever listed it as such (probably Google or the Google community moderator), did so just to shut everyone up.  We've all tried this, but it doesn't fix the problem.  We need to get this deleted as a solution, because it most definitely doesn't work, but Google has it listed so as far as they're concerned, it's no longer a problem.

PNH
Community Member

I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I filed a complaint with the feedback to Google function and the problem cleared up after a few days.

GodsRaven
Community Member

Yup.  Coincidence.  Expect the problem to come back again soon.  Mine has been fixed twice, and returned twice.

GodsRaven
Community Member

Nope.  And not likely to ever be a fix in the near future since they don't even acknowledge the problem.  Ever wonder why they just send you here?  It's like sending you to a huge waiting room with doors that only go to the outside, not to the offices.  No one from Google ever sees anything here or cares to do so.  It's just a place where we complain to each other about what they're never going to do.  

This "chat" about this one issue has been going on for at least nine months.  They are NEVER going to take it seriously.  

Chubaka
Community Member

How exactly and what did you do?

PNH
Community Member

If you are asking about feedback to Google, just say " hey Google, feedback to Google". It will ask you what they can improve and you describe the problem to Google, perhaps adding that it's unusable without a fix. I think I also mentioned that I would be switching to Alexa if things didn't get better because I have no choice.

GodsRaven
Community Member

Yeah.  I do this all the time.  I think it's sort of like the community, or like the button in the elevator that you push that really doesn't do anything.  I mean, do you think someone actually checks all those?  I've complained about my Google doing ridiculous crap at least 100 times, and I've only had mine since November of last year.  Now, consider all the other people with issues around the world sending feedback every day.  No one is reading that stuff.  They would need hundreds of people just reading that crap.  It's just a "push to close elevator" button.  It makes you feel like you've done something, just like this community.  Its like complaining to the manager at the post office when your mail didn't come, or the airline who lost your luggage.  LOL. Nothing will happen, but you feel better cuz you think it might   

Bitz09
Community Member

Same question

GodsRaven
Community Member

Same answer.  They're not doing squat.  Why would they?  They're making money hand over fist without doing anything to fix it, so they don't have to.  

skunkapekiller
Community Member

my fav is....let's troubleshoot first.........like it's my fault

Exactly.  Even though they know everyone is having the same problem.

Want to be extra irritated?  I just found out they're going in and deleting messages in this convy/thread.  I guess that's so it doesn't seem as bad as it is, right?  

On no, really? What made you recognize that is happening? 

I get email updates daily now on this thread.  One actually said that they had deleted several posts.  

Chubaka
Community Member

Set couple negative reviews on sevral apps like google assistant and google home.  Hope this will attract some attention of developers. Coz they somewhat care about reviews and try to answer them. Hate to do that but hope it works.

Good luck.  Not sure if it will help, since they are making money hand over fist, but it can't hurt to try.  I've put a couple of reviews out.

Bitz09
Community Member

Google has an issue in their Network stack.  I was able to stabilize two of the devices by firing up an older Access point and connected the devices to them.  My Google Max Speaker would drop multiple times a day and now it stays connected (5ghz).  My Gen2 Next Hubs keep giving me the "something went wrong, try again" error.  Ask the question again and it works.  I switched one to a 2.4ghz SSID on the AP and it is now stabilized.  I will switch the other one tomorrow if the trend continues.

I've tested on an Eero system, TP-Link system (Both MESH) and an old ASUS Access point (non Mesh).  I have Mini's in the house that stay connected and work fine.  I also have a Hardwired Sonos ARC that will give me the "something went wrong..." message.

This SUCKS!!!!  When I bought most of this stuff, it just worked.

wouldn't be funny if all the people having these problems are using Google Wifi....like me?  

that could be the reason why Google is playing the .....'we don't know what you guys are doing wrong" card?

Don't use their wifi and still have issues.

Same.

I'm on AT&T.  

GodsRaven
Community Member

One thing you mentioned that I hadn't considered is the 5 vs 2.4 ghz.  This has started approximately in the past year.  For many, it was in early 2022, however a few mention late 2021 and a little earlier.  

I'm thinking this could be a 5G issue that is screwing everything up.  I'm strictly on 2.4 in my home, but my new hub and nests, I believe, are useable on 5G.  None of my accessories are 5G, however (cameras, plugs, etc), which is fine because I have a 2.4 router.  This 5G may be causing this issue, not only because it is a problem itself, but because everything isn't 5G.  Just a thought.

Bitz09
Community Member

One of the issues is with the advancements in Wifi (Mesh, etc) there are features on the newer systems that play havoc with clients.  Beamforming is one example.  It's role (in a nutshell) is to suggest to the device that they use 5ghz.  This feature causes a lot of my IOT devices to fall off the network.  In my case, I have a few issues, one is a Google device that tells me "Cannot get to the Internet" even though the Wifi is strong in it's location.  It connects easily, but drops in a day or so.  I also have the stupid "Something went wrong" error.  If I try again it works fine.  

The fix is in the hands of Google, this is not a customer issue.  Yes, bad network connections can make it worse, but the issue is within Google's software.  And...it's not just Wifi, my Sonos ARC (Hardwired), will act up and throw the "Something went wrong" error also.

In my case, moving the device that failed to a Legacy Access point fixed the issue with the dropping off the network.  I also moved one of my two Next Hubs (in the bedroom) to this AP and it now answers on the first attempt.  The Second one is on the MESH and it is working fine. 

I did try the Sync Devices command, and I have a new error...it tells me my Pixel Phone is not available!  It's funny, because I ran the stinking command on the phone!!!!!

We rely on the system working.  My wife is handicapped and having a Smart home with voice control is a major life enhancement for her.  Google, if you are listening, please FIX YOUR CRAP!

GodsRaven
Community Member

I get the same issues, "something went wrong", and the newest one, "there was a glitch".  Also, mine will randomly restart throughout the day.  It's not my Internet because it doesn't affect anything else.  I mean it literally doesn't affect ANYTHING else.  Not my smart lightbulbs, my roku, my tablet, my laptop, nothing.  

Tonight I went into my bedroom, told Google to turn off my bedroom light and my nest said it was turning it off.  Meanwhile, I heard my hub in the living room answer that there was a glitch.  

It's getting worse and worse.  I guarantee you Google isn't paying attention to us in here.  They're making enough money that they don't need to.  We keep using their products, so they don't care.  Until it really starts hitting them in their wallet, they won't do anything about it.

GodsRaven
Community Member

Hmmm...looks as if this may be a permanent issue now.  All I'm getting from my hub is, "something went wrong".  Of course, I'll reset it, for the fifth time.  But if it continues, it's my perfect reason to switch to Alexa.  

Googlbreakgoogl
Community Member

Dang it! Now I have one to two speakers telling me something went wrong and the third one completes the command.  Does anyone have only one AP at the house.  If I remember correctly, this issue started after adding another Wifi AP.

I have this same issue.  Mine started just after I bought my hub.  That was about the same time everyone started having issues, which it now seems might be related to a 5G/2.4G conflict.    I do have three.  I uninstalled my entire system, rebooting every nest and hub, removing every smart device from my Home, and uninstalling Home,  After I reinstalled, I only installed the Hub at first and still had issues.

Yes, I have multiple access points

skunkapekiller
Community Member

MINE IS RESOLVED FINALLY..............

Obviously I was having multiple issues with my Google Smart Home.....I decided to upgrade my modem (have 2nd gen google wifi-3pack (900 sq ft).....FIXED ALL MY ISSUES.

I have Midco in North Dakota....brought in my tiny six year old modem and upgraded to the better more modern modem and instantly everything was fixed...I stood in the middle of my tiny house and yelled "Hey Google, what time is it?"...one response.  Then yelled turned on the living room lights...only one responded and turned on the lights.  Hope it doesn't regress but i got up this morning and did those two tests again and it was fine.....so long story short..........IT WAS MY MODEM!

How many days have passed so far after your "fix"? Because it looks like for all of us issue comes back after couple days.

installed last night 9pm central...ok as of 9am this am in nodak

crossing my fingers!

what's funny is i called midco and said my wifi signal sucks (didn't mention any of the "smart" issues....they asked how big my modem was ...i said tiny and about six years old..."oooh that's obsolete...get the new one"....go to the local midco store and the lady says "nope your tiny old modem is fine...."...i said i'll try anything to fix my broken smart home so i want it....she rolled her eyes at me but it's worked so far!  

Yeah, well give it a few days.  I've had it be fine for a week, then start again.  Just saying 

oooh i know...not of the woods yet but so far so good but still Google needs to address this bc it should never come to this...it's not like my modem was a dinosaur....