cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Home/Nest wifi notifications won't stop

ashdoll32
Community Member

I'm having a weird issue!

I have an older, wired Nest cam (named "garage camera") outside of my home.  It was setup and is managed using the Nest app.  I like being able to see it on my Home app though along with my other devices, so it's connected to Home.  In the Home app, I have the wifi notifications turned off.  If there's a blip in the wifi, I don't need to know about it.  Here is what is frustrating - I am getting notifications for wifi outages CONSTANTLY for the garage camera coming from Home app!  (I'm not trying to troubleshoot that; I think it's a bad electrical connection because it's a bit of a janky setup.  It's usually fine.)

The wifi notifications are turned off in Home.  There is no option to turn off the wifi notifications in the Nest app (even though they are coming from Home.)  This is driving me nuts.  Why do I get "wifi down" notifications for my garage camera via the Home app when the toggle is set to "off"?!  How do I stop this?

thanks!!

6 REPLIES 6

Josh_Does_IT
Community Member

Hello ashdoll32,

I understand how frustrating it can be to receive these alerts, especially when you’ve taken steps to prevent them. I had a similar experience with smart home devices (google nest products) after I upgraded my internet service and installed a new router . My suggestion is to try a few troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue:

1. Double-Check Notification Settings: Please ensure you’ve correctly turned off the wifi notifications for your garage camera in the Google Home app. It’s worth revisiting the settings to confirm they are applied to the correct device.

2. Update Your Apps: Make sure both your Google Home and Nest apps are updated to their latest versions. Updates often include fixes for known issues that could be causing your problem.

3. Restart Devices: A simple restart of both your smartphone (or device managing the apps) and the garage camera can sometimes clear unexpected glitches. 

4. Reintegrate the Camera: Try removing the garage camera from the Google Home app and then adding it back. This step can help reset the device’s connection to the app and might resolve the notification issue.

5. Inspect Interconnected Alerts: If you use other services or devices connected to your Google Home app (like IFTTT or a smart home hub), please check if they might be indirectly causing these notifications.

6. Contact Support: Should these steps not alleviate the issue, it may be best to contact Google Support for further assistance. They can provide more in-depth troubleshooting and identify if there’s a more complex problem at play.

7. Temporary Workaround: As a short-term solution, if you’re using an Android device, you can try long-pressing the notification when it appears and toggle it off directly. This doesn’t address the underlying issue but can provide temporary relief from the notifications.

I realize how these disruptions can affect your experience, and I’m happy to help. Please try these suggestions, and let me know how it goes. 

Best,

Just Josh

I did 1, 2, 3, and 5 with no relief.  When I have some time, I will do #4.

thanks!

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@ashdoll32 

I've seen several posts on this issue in the last few days.

I think Google Nest might have made a change a few days ago that could be causing this. I received a few offline notifications from two of our 1st gen Google Nest cameras a couple of days ago; prior to this I've never received offline notifications about our cameras unless our IPS connection was down due to maintenance. And in the past, when this happened, I could tell by checking our history that we didn't receive an offline notification until the camera was offline for about 10 minutes. I think I've also saw posts in this forum from a couple of years ago stating that there was a 10-minute lag before receiving a camera offline notification.

But when I checked the history for these recent outages in the Google Nest app or on the home.nest.com website, they were VERY brief; in fact, if I let the video history play across the outage, the video did not even show an outage.

Perhaps Google Nest has changed something on its servers so that, instead of notifying us of a camera outage after 10 minutes, they now do so instantaneously, thereby creating notifications for very brief outages we never noticed before.

These are a couple of the recent posts:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Home-Automation/Outdoor-nest-camera-keeps-going-offline-to-fr...

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Disabling-camera-offline-notifications/...

That makes sense as a possibility, and I'll admit that I'm a bit relieved that I'm not the only one!  How do we know if they're already looking into the issue, or should I bug them about this do you think?

@ashdoll32 

I sent feedback in the Google Home app.  I don't think Google Nest Support reads posts in this forum.

AlphaKai
Community Member

I'm encountering the same problem. I receive around 100 notifications daily, which is becoming incredibly frustrating. I own three cameras, and although the Google Home app indicates they're offline, everything appears normal when I check through the Nest app. Additionally, there are no interruptions in the 24/7 recordings. What the heck is going on!!!! 

My home network setup consists of Ubiquiti equipment, and I can confirm through troubleshooting that there are no issues either with the WiFi and the ISP. All connections are indicated as "Excellent," and there are low latency measurements between the access points and the Nest cameras.

There is a thread on Reddit that shows several people are experiencing the issue. Since I have Ubiquiti, I am starting to think about offloading Google Home products and going full Ubiquiti. Kind of sucks because I was pretty invested in Nest until a couple of years ago. It started to downhill from there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/1ba639r/camera_offline_notifications_in_google_home_but...