cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Nest Protect as Routine Starter

justsam
Community Member

I am not here to rehash the extremely limited functionality in the HOME app with regard to Nest Protects but trying to explore some scrap of functionality.  I have a total of 10 Nest protects between my main house, granny unit, and shop.  All but one of them are wired. 

According to the HOME app, the Protect can be used as a STARTER in two ways:  Case 1 being "Starts or Stops Charging", and case 2 being "Plugged In or Unplugged".  There are no other STARTER cases such as motion detected, fire detected, CO detected, etc. 

I reasoned I could at least use the "Plugged In or Unplugged" as a STARTER for a routine to advise of a power outage for any of the Protect locations that were wired.  Alas when I tried to develop a simple routine to just turn on a lamp, as a test of functionality, it SAVES the routine and then eliminates the STARTER portion of the routine.  

Has any one been able to actually make use of this rather obtuse application, and yes I do have other means to detect power outage but if this really worked it should give a finer resolution to power outage location.

4 REPLIES 4

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

Nest Protect doesn't support that starter type. It only currently supports the "sensorstate" starter.

You can find what starters and actions devices support here:
https://developers.home.google.com/automations/supported-devices
https://developers.home.google.com/automations/starters-conditions-and-actions

justsam
Community Member

If that is the case, why are the two cases mentioned above the only STARTERS available when building an AUTOMATION in the HOME app.  Please elaborate on how one might use "sensor state", which I assume requires query/response in an AUTOMATION.

justsam
Community Member

Thank you for response but I am looking at what can I do within the confines of the capabilities of the HOME app and the STARTER cases that are available for the Nest Protect, within the HOME app.