cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Setting up a rental property with google home

sjbishy
Community Member

I have a property that I am looking to rent out (to a tech savy renter), in my property I have:

- google nest wifi routers

- google thermostat

- google yale lock

I am trying to research what to do with my lock, as an owner, it's important for me to retain access to the property.  From my research I understand the account structure and see that I can invite the tennant to be a "full user" etc.  So no problem there.

However, from a hardware perspective, what I can't see/find is what happens when/if I remove my home nest wifi router (as the tennant has their own wifi routers).  What will happen to the devices?  Can we transfer all the devices to the tennants new router and still maintain the "home account" that I created (to ensure I can still access the lock?)

Also what is to prevent the tennant from doing a factory reset on the door lock?

3 REPLIES 3

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

There is no transfer option, Nest and Google Home products are not designed to be used in this way. When you remove your Wi-Fi routers, all 3 products will go offline. The tenant would need to manually reconnect the thermostat and lock to Wi-Fi (via the Nest Connect).

For Nest Thermostat (2020 model), it won't be possible to change the Wi-Fi network without resetting it, as it won't appear in the tenant's Google Home app, as you set it up. For Nest Thermostat E and Nest Learning Thermostat models, it is possible to change Wi-Fi network without resetting it, however it's much easier to factory reset and set it up again for most people.

Change Nest thermostat Wi-Fi network - Google Nest Help

For Nest x Yale Lock, it won't be possible to change the Wi-Fi network without factory resetting the Nest Connect, because it will not appear in the tenant's Nest app, as you set it up.

How to update Wi-Fi settings on Nest Connect - Google Nest Help

Once the Nest Connect is reset, it needs setting up again and connecting to Wi-Fi. Therein lies the problem, because if the tenant sets it up with their Nest app, it's no longer in the same home structure as the lock, so the lock would never reconnect to Wi-Fi. The lock and Nest Connect need to be in the same home structure to work properly.

sjbishy
Community Member

Thank you - this is pretty much what I expected.  Appreciate the quick response!

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

No problem!