cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Audio from Nest Cam in Google Home app on Android phone will only play through phone speaker and not

iAmNotSure
Community Member

I have the Nest Cam (wired). I set it up through the Google Home app on my Samsung Galaxy S23.

Everything about it works fine except the audio from the camera, whether live view or from activity history, will only play through the phones speaker despite having headphones attached.
All other audio from every source on the phone goes through the headphones. They are USB-C headphones if that matters. I do not have bluetooth headphones.

Is this just how it's supposed to be? I tried searching and I'm coming up short on answers. Most discussions are related to no audio or quiet audio. I do not have those issues. This is the closest related topic I found, but no solutions.
Restarting the phone is a joke answer as it does nothing.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I have joined, left, and rejoined the public preview. I played around the the default usb configuration settings in developer mode. And yeah, I even tried restarting my phone. None of this has helped.

The camera audio is being treated as a call in the app. I'm not really sure why it's doing that or why that matters, because I can use my headphones for calls just fine. Is there any hope of getting the camera audio to play through my headphones?

2 REPLIES 2

iAmNotSure
Community Member

Minor update. I connected my Galaxy S23 to a bluetooth speaker. When I initiate the live view of my Nest Cam through the Google Home app on my phone while connected to the bluetooth speaker, the audio plays through the bluetooth speaker for a few seconds, but mysteriously switches back to playing through the phone speaker without me doing anything. There is no notification on the screen indicating that it was switched or why it was switched.

Why is the Google Home app so insistent on playing the audio from the phone speaker instead a connected audio device?

iAmNotSure
Community Member

Does literally no one else but me have an Android phone and use the Google Home app to view a Nest Cam, and also have access to any external audio device other than the phone speaker?

Is no one else who uses the Google Home app with an Android phone and a Nest Cam willing to connect it to an external audio device and tell me if it plays through the phone or through the external audio device (for the full connection duration lasting more than 5 seconds)?