cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Enable/Disable Indoor Wired Gen2 Cameras using iPhone Location?

pf778c
Community Member

How do I get my new Nest cameras to automatically turn off when I come home and turn on when I leave based on the location of my iPhone?  My Nest thermostat does this effortlessly with the Nest App, however my new cameras will only connect using the Google Home app, which only gives me the option of setting up "automations" where I have to open the app, open the assistant, and then ask it to turn them on/off manually.  Far too much work!  I just want them to work the way my old thermostat does.  Help!

1 Recommended Answer

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

People on this forum have been asking for over 3 years for the new cams to work with the NEST app but Google refuses to do it. 

Try this:  Go into SETTINGS on the iPhone and then PRIVACY & SECURITY and make sure LOCATION SERVICES is set to ON.  And then also click on it so you can see the list of apps that are allowed to use it and scroll down to GOOGLE HOME and make sure it is set to ALWAYS.

Go back to the GOOGLE HOME app and see if PRESENCE SENSING is now available.

If that doesn't work then try opening an official support ticket with Google which will let you speak with a google tech about why it isn't there on your phone.  Here is the link to get you going.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

Let me know if any of this works.

View Recommended Answer in original post

9 REPLIES 9

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

I have never needed this feature and have never tried it.  However I think you can get it going by going into the HOME app and at the top level where you see all your devices you click in the lower right corned on SETTING and go down to where it says PRESENCE SENSING and activate the feature.  Also here is a link which talks about  how to do this.   Hopefully it helps.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/9246474?hl=en#zippy=%2Cturn-automatic-switching-on-or-o...

Thank you EmptyNester.  That seems to be where I have the problem.  My Home app does not list that under settings; I only have my location, Devices, groups & rooms, Services, Home features (Privacy - not under there), Google Assistant, Notifications, Digital wellbeing, Communication), Nest services & support (Subscriptions, Offers, Support, Public Preview), and Delete this home.  I really wish there was a way to connect to Nest cameras using the Nest app, which to me, works so much better and is so much simpler to use.  The last thing I needed was yet another buggy app to have to search for on a teeny tiny screen!

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

People on this forum have been asking for over 3 years for the new cams to work with the NEST app but Google refuses to do it. 

Try this:  Go into SETTINGS on the iPhone and then PRIVACY & SECURITY and make sure LOCATION SERVICES is set to ON.  And then also click on it so you can see the list of apps that are allowed to use it and scroll down to GOOGLE HOME and make sure it is set to ALWAYS.

Go back to the GOOGLE HOME app and see if PRESENCE SENSING is now available.

If that doesn't work then try opening an official support ticket with Google which will let you speak with a google tech about why it isn't there on your phone.  Here is the link to get you going.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

Let me know if any of this works.

pf778c
Community Member

Thanks again.  I'm going to open a ticket.  Everything is enabled as it should be, but the more I try to figure this out, the more I think the problem might be because I already have presence sensing set up for my home with the Google Nest app so my Google Nest thermostat knows when I'm home, but surprise! Google Nest cameras aren't compatible with the Google Nest app.  If I had had any idea...  I really have to hand it to Google.  LOVE the thermostat, but I'll think long and hard before adding to my "nest" in the future!

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

About 3 years ago I bought  a  new Gen 2 nest camera and when I found out it didn't work with the nest app I returned it for a refund and ever since then I have been purchasing used Gen 1 cams from eBay and I'm very happy staying in the NEST app until such time that Google app gets enough features. 

One more thing. This is a long shot but if you go into the SETTINGS in the google home app and scroll down do you see something called PREVIEW?  If you do then turn it ON.    

And finally make sure you google home app is up to date.  The easiest way to do this is going into the APP STORE on the phone and select your picture in the upper right corner and then scroll down until you find GOOGLE HOME and if there is an update then you should do it.

pf778c
Community Member

Thank for the support link.  That did the trick!  Apparently the presence sensing service I've been searching for is on the FAVORITES tab, under my home at the very top left of the screen.  I never thought to look there!

I installed dropcam from many, many years ago that I use for spying on our cats when we're away.  When Google stopped supporting Dropcam earlier this month, they very generously offered to replace them with the current nest cameras, which I didn't think too much about because I've had nothing but a great experience with my nest thermostat.  I don't require a lot, so now that the home/away thing is working I'm in good shape!

Thank you so much for all of your advice!

Bechi

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Great to hear you have up and running.  But wow,,, it should be this difficult.  Today's app software is out  of control if you ask me.  Not just Google but almost every app has become a challenge to deal with.

Cheers for now!

pf778c
Community Member

I definitely agree!  I also wish more apps were available for use on our computers.  I don't know about you, but I'm no longer twelve years old, and it is SO much easier for me to view and read information on a full-sized display, not to mention type on an actual keyboard.  Believe it or not, I actually only use my phone to make and receive calls if I can help it!  If any developers are lurking about - TAKE NOTE! <g>

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

100% agree.  I like big screens and I cannot lie!      I just upgraded to an "M" processor Mac and one of the benefits is you can run many (but not all) of the iPhone apps on the computer.  It mostly works.  But one that works well is EUFY app for the EUFY cameras which I like.