cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Cannot Save Clips from 24/7 Recording

d_j
Community Member

Does Google plan to allow saving of clips from the 24/7 video history?  If so, when can we look forward to this feature?

Before I get the canned answer of "You can download saved "Events", I already know that.  What I want is to be able to save clips that I choose from the 24/7 video history, even if the camera did not detect and save an "Event".

I just bought my first Nest Cam.  I did a lot of research before buying but was extremely disappointed to find that even after subscribing to a $12 per month Nest Aware Plus subscription, deciding I could live with the camera needing to be wired, and then finally dishing out the extra $29 for the Weather Proof Cable for Nest Cam, I cannot actually save clips from the 10-day recordings in the 24/7 History.  In my research prior to buying, it seemed that this was a feature that was available through the Nest website previously and something that I very much looked forward to.

6 REPLIES 6

Cathal_S
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi d_j,

All that Google have said so far is that they are planning on bringing the features found in the Google Nest app to the Google Home app sometime within 2022. I personally hope that they bring the ability to stream the new cameras to Chromecast devices as you could with the old versions. 

Have a look at the Nest Blog linked below for any announcements Google make.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Blog/bg-p/blog 

Regards,

Cathal

Regards,
Cathal

Meh1
Community Member

Just went thru this and same story, seems like false advertising to me that you wouldn't be able to access data from the 24/7 history. I had something happen which the analytics didn't flag as an event but it's right there on the 24/7 recording. I asked multiple agents for a way to grab an export from this and they came to the conclusion I can't. So I pay for the most expensive subscription and can't use the data(also not in takeout). Unfortunately for them they will be losing a long time customer over this botched launch of moving camera functionality from Nest to Google Home. By the way purchasing a power cable for $50 more bucks is pretty sad. Bought a two pack an it came with one power cable. Way to cut corners on a premium product.

Cathal_S
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi,

Not the solution that you are looking for but as a workaround you could use a screen recording app on your mobile device to capture video that is not saved as an event.

Regards,
Cathal

d_j
Community Member

In my experience you lose quite a bit of quality that way.  Google's website boast about HDR quality from the Nest cameras but now we're put in a position where we'll lose that quality if we need footage from the 24/7 footage that wasn't flagged as an actual event.  Meh1 has somewhat of a point in that Google neglects to tell consumers that this feature no longer exist and we don't find out until we go all in on the power cable and subscription.  From what I understand, you can still do this with the Nest App with older cameras.  But since you can't use the Nest App with the newer cameras, the "upgraded" cameras are actually inferior to older versions since we are now forced to use the Home App.

Cathal_S
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

As just a normal user of both new and old cameras I agree that Google should add the features in the Nest app along with other features like the ability to trigger other devices such as lights.

What I suggested was a workaround. Leaving feedback for the Google Nest team is the recommended way of letting the people at Google that can make changes know about your thoughts.

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7071494 

Regards,
Cathal

csadams
Community Member

Big +1 to this issue being a huge regression in primary functionality, and bordering on false advertising that it was not clearly flagged, especially to long-time users who invest premium $$$ in new cams, expecting the same great Nest App functionality we've had for years.