cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Mechanical chime not working with nest doorbell

sesamemucho
Community Member

Hi,

I have a nest doorbell(wired). The doorbell itself seems to be working: I get video, and the wifi connection is solid. The indoor mechanical chime does  not ring with the doorbell is pressed.

• In the app settings, the "Indoor chime On/Off" setting is set to On.
  • The  voltage across the chime is  about .5VAC, but when the doorbell is pressed, the voltage goes to 0

The voltage going to 0 doesn't seem right. When I swap in a mechanical switch, the voltage across the chime starts at 0 and goes to 14V, and the chimes ring fine.

I think I have the chime connector wired correctly, but all the installation links I can find say to follow the instructions in the app, and the app just tells me to remove the doorbell and start over - so I must be missing something there.

Suggestions?

Thanks

1 Recommended Answer

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi sesamemucho,  all of your voltage measurements make sense.  

One other think to check is in the google home app in the setting for the nest doorbell you will see the RING INDOOR CHIME option and that should be ON.  But under that is another slider that says Length of Ring.  Trying setting it to 1 second (if it isn't already).

The only other thing I can think of in further trouble shooting is this:   In a traditional doorbell, the chime-button on your house is just simple open/close switch.  If you disconnect the nest doorbell and reconnect the old doorbell switch does the chime inside your house still work?  

View Recommended Answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

Hi sesamemucho,  all of your voltage measurements make sense.  

One other think to check is in the google home app in the setting for the nest doorbell you will see the RING INDOOR CHIME option and that should be ON.  But under that is another slider that says Length of Ring.  Trying setting it to 1 second (if it isn't already).

The only other thing I can think of in further trouble shooting is this:   In a traditional doorbell, the chime-button on your house is just simple open/close switch.  If you disconnect the nest doorbell and reconnect the old doorbell switch does the chime inside your house still work?  

Thanks for your suggestion about setting the duration. I turned on the setting "Do you have an electronic  chime?" to On and it started working.

A suggestion to Google though: I don't have an electronic chime; I have a mechanical chime. Perhaps the setting can be reworded?

Yes, I found that wording confusing as well.

Thanks for this!! I have a mechanical chime and this was the only way to make it work. Google definitely needs to change the wording in the app.