cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Motion routines via Google Home to turn on lights doesn't work with nest outdoor

Rockbottom8
Community Member

Hello,

I noticed the other day some new automations and set up a few to work with my nest doorbell battery (which I have wired) and Nest Cam Battery (Outdoors and wired):

• From sunset to sunrise, if someone rings doorbell, turn on front door lights
  • From sunset to sunrise, if a camera detects motion, turn on a light in the backyard.

The later doesn't seem to work at all. I have people, animal, and vehicle alerts turned on so last night i turned on all motion to see what would happen. The lights didn't turn on. Other feedback I would like is why not turn off the light after x amount of time. My lights are Lutron so it seems to work since the doorbell routine works fine. Anyone else having this issue? Seems like the routine functionality is limited to be honest.

1 Recommended Answer

Rockbottom8
Community Member

Got this from support:

I appreciate your time. I'm sorry we got disconnected earlier.This email is in regards to Nest Outdoor Camera not working with the Philips hue light. As discussed on chat.  The feature you are requesting is not available anymore. The feature worked for the legacy Nest Account customers who were using this feature already and haven't migrated the account. If you are using Nest Cam with your Hue lights, we ask for a bit of patience. We are working closely with Google on new and improved Home Routines for your Nest devices, so keep an eye out for updates.

View Recommended Answer in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Rockbottom8
Community Member

Nobody else having this issue?

Yep, same issue here. I can't get the nest camera motion routines to trigger. I know the routine is ok because it works if I run it manually...

Also, you can make the light turn off by creating a second action for a starter under the same routine, just have the second one something like this - "Turn outdoor light 1 off after 5 minutes"

Thanks BGG...will need to try this...I was using power allowances on SmartThings to turn off my triggered outlet.

Oh I gotta do that. I have a rule from lutron to turn off those lights regardless at sunrise just in case they are activated. 

Are you saying that you create another routine after that routine for that light in general to always go off after 5 minutes?

Same routine that turns the light on also turns it off. Just make a second action using the syntax I posted above with a delay time. 

Yep, having the same issues...almost the exact same setup.

IsaiahDAboss303
Community Member

Yes I'm having the same issues with my nest cam battery. It doesn't start the routine when it detects motion. I have mine set up to turn on my back lights and alert my home devices but I'm having the same issue. Which is unfortunate you think nest would have a issue like this solved or not even that but something that never should have been a issue in the first place 

stewarjust
Community Member

Same issue too. I've got the automation set up with my Google Nest Cam (Battery) to turn on the lights Anytime and still nothing. 

Rockbottom8
Community Member

I hope it gets fixed and someone that reads this form actually is from Google. Haha

Rockbottom8
Community Member

Got this from support:

I appreciate your time. I'm sorry we got disconnected earlier.This email is in regards to Nest Outdoor Camera not working with the Philips hue light. As discussed on chat.  The feature you are requesting is not available anymore. The feature worked for the legacy Nest Account customers who were using this feature already and haven't migrated the account. If you are using Nest Cam with your Hue lights, we ask for a bit of patience. We are working closely with Google on new and improved Home Routines for your Nest devices, so keep an eye out for updates.

This doesn't seem quite right to me as the Nest starters based on motion are only new? My hue lights work fine for other routines still, but nothing triggers from the camera motion function. I think they misinterpreted something there.

I replied to them and gave more details. Will see what they say. 

stewarjust
Community Member

If you link your Google Assistant to Samsung SmartThings you can run a motion routine using SmartThings for when your Google Cam detects motion. I've tested that and it works.

If only my lights were compatible with SmartThings 😞 Only managed to get my Power Outlet to switch on and off.

Can you explain more?  My Nest Cams do not show up in SmartThings...but I do have my Google Assistant linked to ST.

What is the trigger that you are using?

BillyGoatGruff
Community Member

Wow, who would have thought I'd have to use a samsung product to get my google nest cameras to work for motion detection! I might wait a little for the home update that should enable this... But thanks for the solution, I might give it a go if I have to wait too long