cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

No dingdong but only ding

Ikkenest
Community Member

Since a few days i have noticed the following problem: When somebody presses the button on the doorbell, which is lit up, as soon as they press it it starts to "ding dong" but it just goes "ding", the mechanical chime works for 1 second and then the power cuts, after about 7-8 seconds the light comes back on. Please notice it’s a first generation wired Nest doorbell, and indoor i use a mechanical chime connected by the nest chime connector. 

This problem started with version 4110055 and whenever in the setting i turn of the chime, everything works fine. I have factory reset the doorbell, and then ( before i add the doorbell to the Nest app and thus the doorbell uses the initial firmware ), the doorbell works fine i.e. goes “ dingdong” and the indoor chime works as expected.

4 REPLIES 4

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

So when this happens are you able to view the video on the doorbell?  Or does that go out as well?  The reason I ask is the Nest Hello Doorbell has a known design issue in that it actually has an internal battery that fails over time (Typically 3-4 years out).  It is not something that is easily replaceable.    

Well i don’t think that it’s related to the battery,. I have done a factory reset and afterwards, when i push the button  before the doorbell is set up ( thus no wifi etc. ), the dingdong and the indoor chime both work. As soon as i set up the doorbell using the Nest app and connect the doorbell to the internet, the doorbell starts downloading 4110055 … and the problem ( as described ) occurs. Thus it looks to me, that this problem is related to the software version rather than the battery.

EmptyNester
Gold Product Expert
Gold Product Expert

That sounds like really good investigating.    But I'm not sure how you ruled out the internal battery.   If you go to your phone and stand at the doorbell location and look at the live image and then hit the button does the live image remain?  Or does it also go away for about 5-10 seconds and then come back?

Where did you see that version number ( version 4110055)?   My iPhone says I'm on version 5.73.0 of the Nest App .

I'm guessing you have checked the settings in the app for the doorbell chime but maybe check one more time.   I just looked and mine and here is what I have:

View the doorbell image and click the gear in the upper right then make sure Indoor Chime is ON... and if it is maybe toggle it off for 10 seconds and toggle it back on.    

Then scroll down to CHIME DURATION and make sure that is OFF.   This is used on for electric chimes (the ones with a speaker) and not for the mechanical (solenoid) based chimes.

The only other thing I can think of is to open an official support ticket which will let you actually speak with a Google Tech on the phone.  Be sure to set aside a good 30 minutes (or more) as they will want to probably put you through all the normal basic trouble shooting step.  Here is the link:

https://support.google.com/googlenest/gethelp

If you figure it out please return here and let  us know what the problem was.

MplsCustomer
Bronze
Bronze

@Ikkenest 

The internal batteries on all three of our Nest Hello Doorbells have failed in the last 18 months. If the "Indoor chime" option is turned on, the doorbells go offline for a minute whenever the doorbell button is pressed. With the "Indoor chime" option turned off on all three, they do NOT attempt to ring the indoor doorbell chime and the doorbells all work fine. We rely instead on "Visitor announcements" on our Nest Hubs and Nest Mini.

The internal battery's purpose is to power the camera during the instant when the doorbell button is pressed and power is diverted to ring the indoor doorbell chime.

This failure has happened to HUNDREDS of customers; see this long thread with over 1,000 replies:

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Cameras-and-Doorbells/Nest-Hello-Doorbell-cuts-out-when-butto...