cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Unable to see Nest cameras on Sony Bravia TV

Jdpagent86
Community Member

I have a new Sony Bravia TV (with Google TV) and just Nest Cameras installed.  Everything works on my phones, PC and Nest Hub.  When I ask Google Assistant to display my cameras, it says streaming cameras but the screen turns gray with a small camera box with an X through it.  This is very frustrating Google - Please Help !!

65 REPLIES 65

racerx
Community Member

I have a 2nd gen Google doorbell, a Sony x80j, x85j, and a x90k. Won't steam the doorbell to any of them.

Gleno
Community Member

I have the same experience with the Sony A95K I believe the issue may be related to the version of Android TV they have on their TV, which currently is V10.  I can cast the Doorbell battery using a 'Chromecast with TV' stick which has version 12 on it.  But I don't want to use an extra HDMI port on the TV. I happen to use the 'Home Assistant' platform for my smart home, which has a feature to cast a page to a Chromecast device, through this method I can cast the camera to my TV, which is like a webpage. I wish Sony would update their software sooner. 

RickKelSD
Community Member

I get the grey screen with the slashed camera icon too on our older Sony A8H, but I thought it was because Sony abandoned the TV as it has Android 9 and an ancient security update of April 2021.  I too have a Google TV with Chromecast dongle, but I like the integration of everything in the Home screen of the TV so it's disconnected.

I was a tad excited about turning my TV on and seeing there was an update to the software available.  I wasn't excited when I saw that the update was only to Android 10 and the security patch to February 2023.  There have also been several other system updates sent through the Google Play Store.  Afterwards I tried to view our doorbell camera and (of course) it still doesn't work.  This is unacceptable Google. 

Postbrij
Community Member

Hi All, pls don’t waste your time I contacted Google who asked me to check with Sony. Sony support team did trouble shoot and it works with other smart cam (non Google) and confirmed Google nest cam gen 2 and doorbells can’t be casted to built in chrome cast tv as Google would like to sell hub to display hence there is a restriction. Unable to attach my chat with Google but this is what they stated “Your TV is not compatible and we would suggest to contact your manufacturer” what a shame.

Just goes to show what Google thinks of their customers. I'm replacing my cameras, hubs and everything else I have google related. 

Interesting....!   I have a 55" Sony (about 5 years old) and it I say, "Hey Google, show my backyard camera on the Sony TV"  Boom, its there on the screen.  But I just purchased an 85" Sony TV from Best Buy and it will not work.  I have tried everything but it won't work.  Google says its showing the camera stream but it does not.  Both TVs are added to my Google Home with different names.  Weird....and very sad. 🙁

That's interesting. It does sound like a Sony fault. I purchased a Swann camera that my near-new Sony 90K Bravia XR OLED 4K Google TV just will not cast. The support ticket has been with Sony for a few weeks. They required me to take a video to demonstrate the fault, and to supply the software version and device ID, which I did a fortnight ago, but no word. It sounds pretty grim (i.e. no easy fix).

What I found is that Sony hasn't updated to the latest Google TV/Chromecast software and likely won't.

At some point Google updated the newest cameras and unless Sony updates the Google TV OS they won't work together anymore.

Some companies are great about software updates, Sony is not one of them. Android TV is up to 13 now. These TV's appear to be stuck on 10.

ABG
Community Member

I’m experiencing the same issue!!!

ABG
Community Member

I’m experiencing the same issue!

tmath
Community Member

Same problem on new Sony TV and also on Nvidia shield with Google TV. Seems like a Google problem.

ABG
Community Member

I initiated support requests with both Google and Sony, and each of them attributed the issue to the other, insisting that everything was functioning correctly on their respective platforms. Despite my efforts, which included resetting my TV, router, reconfiguring the TV in Google Home, and ensuring all devices were connected to the same Wi-Fi network, the problem persists. While I can successfully cast my cameras to Google Hub devices, I'm unable to do so on the Sony TV.

Rzeznik
Community Member

Same story here. Any solution?

I got Nest Doorbell 2nd Gen and two Bravia OLED A90. Voice assistant is giving me only Grey screen with slashed camera icon.

Anyone at Sony or Google can help?

NickyC19
Community Member

It just doesn't work and they have no intention of fixing it. Just do what I did and return all your google hardware. It's not worth the hassle. You won't have to spend all your time searing forums to troubleshoot issues. 

KBblessed
Community Member

Wow, so many with the same issue! 

We are asking why a Google product is not working with a Google product. 

In Google's documentation it says my Next Battery Camera will work with a Google TV.  I have a new Sony TV and all I get is the same grey camera with a line through it. Please help us! 

slingeronline
Community Member

I'm having the same issue. I just got a nest doorbell and in the welcome e-mail it specifically states: "Stream your live feed to a TV with Chromecast." Would be nice if you actually could.

https://imgur.com/a/dzR6XLy 

margotk
Community Member

Experiencing the same problem with a Sony A90K Bravia XR Google TV. Have reset the router, updated the router firmware to the latest version, de-linked and re-paired the security cam, configured the router to give video traffic top priority, to no avail.

Groogler21
Community Member

It would be nice to see my doorbell when it rings while I am watching TV. Instead I get nothing. If I ask Google assistant to stream any Nest camera, I get the same gray screen as everyone else. Google Home cameras work just fine. Wonder why Google still has not combined these two and I wonder why Nest is not compatible with a Google software TV (Sony)

DrPretorius
Community Member

Boy, if you don’t want to get any help or answers from Google, this is definitely the place to come. 

2ndShadeau
Community Member

Checked again today. Can still view my gen1 doorbell and 1st gen nest outdoor cams on my a80k by voice command (opens nest app on my tv), but 2nd gen doorbell and newer nest cam indoor/outdoor cam don’t work. Will be interesting to see what happens with google set to allow 1st gen outdoor cams to fully migrate to google home platform.  Will report back after that happens. In the meantime, how is there no official response on this thread????

I am in the beta or whatever and it causes them to not work as well, another thing I have a google tv dongle in our living room and that can still stream fine so it seems to just be the built in unit that’s having issues

Neddles
Community Member

Just bought 2 outdoor battery google nest Cameras, same issue as everyone here. Says it's casting via voice command on my Sony x85j but just get a grey screen with the camera icon and line through it. But it streams fine to another tv I have with a Chromecast attached to it...

If I can't find a solution in the next 24 hours I'll just return the google cameras. 

LOOK AT ALL THE PEOPLE HERE WITH ISSUES GOOGLE! SORT YOURSELVES OUT...

margotk
Community Member

It might be a Sony issue. I'm having the same problem with a near-new Sony TV and Swann security cam.

margotk
Community Member

It seems that Google (and Amazon) dropped the support of H.265 codec on their smart devices. That may be the problem why people are experiencing problems streaming from nest cams onto devices - such as TVs - that are running Android. If Google reinstates support of H.265, the problem may well be resolved. 

2ndShadeau
Community Member

As expected, I migrated my first gen Nest outdoor cam to the Google Home app recently, and streaming video on my Bravia A80K stopped working. Migrated it back to the Nest app and streaming (via the nest app on my Bravia) worked just fine.