cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

"Can't connect to assisting device"

Ardovini21
Community Member

I purchased the Google Nest Cam 2 Pack. Installed the first one in the Google Home app with no problems whatsoever, went to go install the second one and was met with the "Can't connect to assisting device" error. Doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get past this screen. Tried an iPhone, and Android, tried turning off the dual-band wifi so everything was on 2.4ghz, tried putting the cameras beside each other, nothing works. 

2 Recommended AnswerS

Hancfo
Community Member

I had the same issue. I just disconnected the camera I had initially setup and then setup up the camera I was having trouble with. After that camera was good to go the second camera was able to connect. Hope this helps!

View Recommended Answer in original post

This solution worked for me as well. Same problem here. I bought 2 nest cams and a doorbell. Couldn’t install anything past the first camera.

I removed the camera from the Google Home app, installed the doorbell properly, then came back to re-install the camera.

you will still briefly see the “connecting to an assisting device” screen, but it freezes and jumps to the following one and everything works fine.

I left both charging now. God knows what’s going to happen tomorrow when I try to install the second camera.

View Recommended Answer in original post

161 REPLIES 161

GolfAddict
Community Member

Combination of all the fixes worked for me...finally. I had to remove (delete from Google Home) the first camera I had installed. This process alone took about 30 minutes before Google Home finally recognized it as deleted as I kept getting a "Cloud error" message. Installed the doorbell then with no issue except for the app restarting twice. 

To install the original camera (now 2nd camera): 1) Factory reset it; 2) Plug both cameras in; 3) turn on airplane mode and then turn on wifi and bluetooth. This, of course, was after unsuccessfully trying each of those individually.

I tried all the suggestions on the official Google help page and stumbled upon this thread, thankfully, today after having wasted several hours of my life on this issue.

Kjwoodward
Community Member

Same issue. Bought the two pack but could only install one camera. Planning to return the whole thing and never buy google again. 

JFRatliff
Community Member

Same issue here.  Bought the two pack outdoor battery but could only install one camera.  Ended up trying one of the suggested fixes to remove one of the cameras, now I cannot install either one.  What a joke.

I did not try removing every Nest device I have because the list is extensive - three thermostats, wifi router + 2 points, two older gen Nest cams.  I'm simply not willing to remove all of those devices and reinstall them.  Sorry.

Austenpowers
Community Member

Google, how have you not yet updated the Google Home App to allow users to bypass the "connecting to assisting device" step and manually enter the WiFi and other config details??  It's simple, if assisting device is unreachable after the first try, allow the user to enter config manually.  Until you have a real fix for this issue, it's a simple workaround... git 'er done!!!

Ttryniecki
Community Member

I have the same issue with a second thermostat.  Not even sure what an ‘’assisting device’ is.  The first thermostat?

@Ttryniecki 

We haven't encountered this error, but it seems an "assisting device" is a previously installed Google Nest product that the new product is using to "save" us customers the effort of entering our WiFi's SSID and password.  The problem is that, for reasons unknown, a connection can't be made to the previously installed Nest product, and Google does NOT provide an option to continue the install by manually entering the SSID and password when this problem occurs.  Some customers theorize the cause is differences in operating system versions between the first and second products.  Some customers (see posts) report success with various workarounds.

LilRed
Community Member

Having this same issue with a two-pack of cameras I bought for my mom for Christmas. I’ve personally had Nest products for years (multiple cameras, the home security system, smoke detectors, thermostat) and all have always installed just as intended. This is really disappointing because I had expected to get this set up for my mom while i’m here visiting, and that she’d be able to easily add devices if she wanted more. Obviously that’s not the case… wish I had known that before buying the first two cameras!

EntropyBoy
Community Member

I purchased the Max Hub, 2 Camera and Doorbell pack.  Doorbell came up easily.  First camera could not be added and only offered "Something went wrong." message.  I deleted the doorbell and was then able to add two cameras.  Doorbell cannot be added back even after multiple factory resets.  This stuff is useless as is.  Wish the google engineers would use their own products.

Does Google even bother to read any of these posts?

Alex_Fullerton
Community Member

The issue is with the software on the camera the best solution I've found for making it work is to remove the original device that it's trying to connect to and giving it plenty of time to load its software I install these alot for my job and they all have to be done simultaneously to have the smoothest experience 

SunniDays
Community Member

Hope this helps someone, 

I deleted my home which disconnects all devices and places them in "local" then I added the new cameras and doorbell which created the new "home". Both camera and one doorbell added w/out issue. Once added, I placed the other devices in previous "home" into the newly created home. Hope that makes sense, it saved me on frustration and took about a total of 10mins. 

Tom42
Community Member

The only way we could get over the issue and connect more cameras as to hard reset the cameras individually.  Each worked then were able to bypass the Connecting Assistance issue.  

The Google Home App team should be embarrassed with their app that does give any details of failures.  

Hard reset on the cameras while plugged into power clears the issue that prevents connecting.

mattnicomn
Community Member

Setting up Nest on Dual zone/Dual Thermostat HVAC system(one upstairs and one downstairs)

What I have set up in my home is a dual zone thermostat system. I had issues connecting them on the google home app. If you try to connect them through the nest app, it will just redirect you to the google home app. The process to install these two separate thermostats.

1. Install the devices on each panel through the installation guide.

2. Install one thermostat at a time with the app. ( You should install both thermostats physically on the wall before hand)

3. Once you have one thermostat fully installed and programed, delete it from your google home app.

4. Once deleted, unplug the thermostat from the wall and complete the installation on the google home app for the second thermostat. (If you started the install on google home app with the second one like I did, tap the side of the nest twice to access the menu and go to setting to delete/remove your account from the nest or factory reset it. I just remove the account from the second nest and completed the installation process.)

5. It might take some time to connect, but it should be all set to go!

Lesson Learned:

In order for addition device to connect to the smart home network with your other google products, they need to be updated, then you can add all the devices you want to your existing network.

Alex_V
Community Member

Still very much an issue.  I hope Google will update their testing - the most frustrating experience installing cameras hub and doorbell out of the boxes, ever.  I was grateful to at least find a solution in disconnecting/deleting the cameras just setup and do the doorbell first.  This should just be a software fix, come-on!

evaisk
Community Member

Mind blowing that this issue has not been addressed yet. 

shramlet
Community Member

I was experiencing the issue where the Google Home App told me to "move closer to a Nest device" while I was literally 2 feet away from a working Nest Hub Max. I chatted with support, and they suggested creating a new named Home group, setting up the doorbell first, then adding in the Hub. It worked - so, because I have a bunch of other smart home devices on my original home group, I decided to try removing the Hub from the original Home group, adding the doorbell, then adding back the Hub. It worked. It appears there's an order they can be added, as a workaround. I've seen several people post something similar that worked for them with multiple cameras, etc.  I hope that's helpful.

(Sure seems like a pretty easy support article to write and publish, especially since the tech support person suggested it as the second thing for me to try. The first suggestion was to try setup from another mobile device, which I don't have.)

ThanksComm
Community Member

I wanted 1 subscription with 3 cameras. I followed all solutions. Deleted 3 homes (cameras). Factory reset. I added #1 and placed in a foil cooler. I think someone said app to is trying to read #1. Was able to add #2. Put #2 in cooler. Added #3. Now I can pay for 1 and not 3 subscriptions. Thanks so much   for sharing solutions!!!

prhallstar
Community Member

I was having this same issue - I cleared the cache of the home app and re-did it and it worked fine.  I entered the 6 digit code on the camera instead of scanning the QR code after clearing cache (that shouldn't matter), but at least  it worked!  Hope that helps someone. 

Revert
Community Member

I really can't understand this - there is clearly a fundamental issue affecting all Nest products in a certain way that is impact a LOT of customers. I have same issue here trying to configure multiple Nest E Thermostats. It seems the product assisting mechanism, bluetooth and underlying Thread network has some fundamental flaw. I've seen so many similar threads. How is this not escalated before. Is there anyone actually working on this? 

I worked with support (a long tedious process trying so many different approaches) only to be sent a new device which has exactly the same issue (surprise). If the support teams are all spending this much time debugging this issue with customers then that is simply shocking (as reading above it seems like some others have had to walk through the various steps to try to remediate). At this point I want to get all Nest out of my house - it has been a monumental waste of time and money sadly. 

rblais
Community Member

I had the same problem.  These IoT devices don't like being on a 5G network.  Try moving to a 2G Wifi network.  This immediately solved my problem.

Revert
Community Member

Tried that - have really tried everything documented out there at this point. I have two sets of Nest E thermostats that refuse to connect to the Heat-links now 😞 - my "IoT" network is 2.4G only.

JimB2
Community Member

Had the same issue and removing the first camera, installing 2nd, then reinstalling first camera worked for me as well. What a pain and totally confusing but it worked and they've been solid for a week now.

Revert
Community Member

Just for everyone here who still had issues - I found that it DOES NOT WORK with Apple Nest App.

I found an Android device and installed using Code (NOT Scanning QR Code) and it worked right away without any issues. 

Crikey!

Alex_V
Community Member

Thanks @Revert - how did I not think of that right away? 🤔 But yes, it's clearly an issue that can be fixed with software updates. I can't believe I went back to the store and switched out my Nest Hello Doorbell for the Nest Doorbell thinking that would be different... Fix it @User123456 ! We've done all the work here to do the Root Cause Analysis:

- Apple Home unable to add new devices

- the search for nearby devices fails (while other devices are nearby)

- the search for nearby devices offers no manual option for a user to enter Wifi credentials

Conclusion, the alleged function to "make setup easier" actually causes an unrecoverable situation.

- workarounds:

-- Use Android Device to initiate Add Device (note: add devices using code)

-- Remove other devices and add new device in first

-- Setup a different home and add the new device there (leads to less functionality)

You deserve the Kudos on this one!!!!

One thing that's unknown is why this failure doesn't happen all the time.  In recent months we've added a Google Nest Battery Camera, a Nest Hub, a Nest Hub Max, and another Nest Hello--using the IOS version of the Google Home app or Google Nest app, as appropriate, and they all obtained the WiFi SSID and password without getting an "assisting device" error.  The Nest Hub Max kept having trouble "connecting" until I moved an existing Nest Hub close to it, and used my iPad instead of my iPhone--though both of those could have been coincidences.  Maybe the error happens to depend on the version of the firmware that happens to be pre-loaded by Google at the factory on the Google Nest device being installed, and some of us are just lucky to have purchased devices with the "right" version(s).

Revert
Community Member

OK - I solved it from my side - Use an andriod device (I used a FireTablet with Google Play added on as it was all I had available) and then used device code and NOT scan QR) and it worked - consistently -  DO NOT USE APPLE NEST APP it seems!

Revert
Community Member

Not sure why my replies to this thread are getting deleted - but the solution is NOT TO USE Nest app on Apple/iOS - I had loads of issues and the moment I moved to using the Nest app on Android - everything worked. 

gammon
Community Member

I can see your replies well enough, thanks.  However, even though I know you're correct (I also took that approach) it's not really a practicable (or at least acceptable) solution for most.

Revert
Community Member

Ah sorry - I seem them all now 😞

I agree this is not an acceptable/practical solution - it wasn't for me - I spent so much time with support on this, even them shipping new device etc. I only happened to have a cheap Android device to test/try it out. I am posting more in the hope for Google/Nest folks to please fix the iOS app. If they at least have an option to stop product assisting and simply configure via the phone app it should work - it's triggering the product assisting part that's broken in iOS as it cannot initiate with the device to use for assisting setup.

Wayoutwest
Community Member

I bought two "Nest Cam with Floodlight" and a 2-pack of the battery powered cameras. I installed the first Cam/Floodlight OK but couldn't add either the second Cam/Floodlight or the battery powered cameras with the "can't connect to assisting device" error. Not wanting to screw up my only connected camera, I created a second "Home" and started by adding the two battery powered cameras, then the second Cam/Floodlight to the second Home without a problem. I may try to move the first Cam/Floodlight to the second Home, then delete the first Home but for now I have all four cameras working so I'm not touching anything. I am wondering if the Cam/Floodlight creates the problem somehow - that it isn't a valid "assisting device" but the battery powered camera is. Anyway, not a great experience, somewhat kludged, but in the end working. Too bad Google didn't spend as much time on the app/software as they did on the beautiful and expensive packaging...

GinaL
Community Member

Same issue bought two thermostats. Only one will connect to google home and the other just spirals saying trying to connect to assisting device. My google mini is connected no problem but thermostats can’t both be connected! So one I can control from the phone the other is all the way upstairs. This is bs!! And don’t even get me started on trying to migrate to my nest account. I have tired everything and nothing is working. I already had a nest account at our previous home but upon moving it won’t let me move my 1 connected thermostat to the nest app.. which is much easier IMO. Overall it’s just issues all around and I’m pissed off. I paid $500 to have my ac guy come and hook everything up and it’s not even working. I’m appalled. 

Revert
Community Member

Use Android and not iOS to setup - this worked for me.

GinaL
Community Member

So what about the millions of us who don’t have android, what do we do??

Revert
Community Member

I want to know this too - they've known about this for ages - they don't seem to care at all. I just wish they were transparent about it. I spent a lot of money and time that was all wasted if I just new to try on an android device.

EntropyBoy
Community Member

I bought Arlo and installation was flawless.  Still baffled on Google’s silence on this issue…

Amouaage
Community Member

Same issue as everyone. I uninstalled the 1st one from google home. Then successfully added the second one. But when I went to add the 1st one back, I had no luck. Then I ended up uninstalling the 2nd one.  Tried adding the 1st one back, and even factory resetting (yes, waited till the yellow light came on and went off) I wasn't able to add it back. So I was worse off than when I started where I had 1 working cam; now I have none. I'm headed to return this as soon as I submit my post.

Simply unacceptable that Google would let something like this slip. Perhaps they were too eager to ring in the holiday sales.? Very shameful indeed. Expected a whole lot more from them!

SalomePA8
Community Member

Same issue as everyone has noted here. This needs to be resolved ASAP. Will be returning.

@Brad  or @GarrettDS with Google Nest Support:

With the number of customers unable to connect to an "assisting device" when installing their Google Nest cameras or doorbells (or other Nest products), why can't Google either provide a software solution or post a topic on the Google Nest Help website (https://support.google.com/googlenest#topic=7029097) with instructions on how to resolve the problem?  As it is, all we have are many customer-suggested solutions that work for some but not others, and no explanation why some customers have the problem.

trevseb
Community Member

I have a Google Nest Max and my camera refused to get set up with it on the network. I had to remove the device before it would load.

Mntgal
Community Member

I need a phone number to talk to customer support in Canada