cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Cast to Chromecast from a different subnet?

KruseLuds
Community Member

How do I allow people on my regular WiFi and people on my guest WiFi both cast to the same Chromecast ultra (since they are all on the same lan, and the Chromecast Ultra is connected via Ethernet to it anyway)?

1 Recommended Answer

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you've connected the Chromecast via ethernet, devices on your regular Wifi will be able to cast to it. Devices connected to your guest Wifi will not be able to cast by default as that's in a different subnet.

If you have Google Wifi or Nest Wifi, to solve that:

1. Tap Wifi on the homescreen of the Google Home app.
  2. Tap Network settings.
  3. Tap Guest network.
  4. Scroll down to shared devices, tick the box to your Chromecast and tap Save.

If you don't have Google Wifi or Nest Wifi, you'll need to refer to the manual or online documentation for your router to see if you can do something similar to allow devices on your guest Wifi to see and cast to your Chromecast.

View Recommended Answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

David_K
Platinum Product Expert
Platinum Product Expert

If you've connected the Chromecast via ethernet, devices on your regular Wifi will be able to cast to it. Devices connected to your guest Wifi will not be able to cast by default as that's in a different subnet.

If you have Google Wifi or Nest Wifi, to solve that:

1. Tap Wifi on the homescreen of the Google Home app.
  2. Tap Network settings.
  3. Tap Guest network.
  4. Scroll down to shared devices, tick the box to your Chromecast and tap Save.

If you don't have Google Wifi or Nest Wifi, you'll need to refer to the manual or online documentation for your router to see if you can do something similar to allow devices on your guest Wifi to see and cast to your Chromecast.