cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Chromecast audio stops working when TV is turned off and on again

FluffierThanTho
Community Member

Since about a week ago, whenever we turn the TV off and on again, the Chromecast does not have audio. Restarting the Chromecast fixes the issue, but this is quickly becoming extremely bothersome. 

Some further observations:

- the problem started a couple of days ago. My partner insists it was sporadic at first, from my experience it has been a hard break (never dropped before, now always drops sound whenever the TV is turned off and on again). 
- audio is broken across the entire chromecast, not a specific app. UI feedback is also gone.

- audio reliably works after the chromecast is restarted.

- audio is not muted nor is the volume set to zero.

- the chromecast is directly connected to the TV. There are no other devices (neither inputs nor outputs) connected to the TV. 

- resetting the chromecast to factory defaults had no effect.

- switching the HDMI port on the TV has no effect.

- restarting the TV has no effect (in fact, it seems to cause the issue)

- switching sound inputs/outputs on the TV has no effect.

On a side note, Google refers to this forum for support on the Chromecast. It feels like this is the wrong forum, also considering the labels I am forced to choose from (OS, cast source) have no bearing on the Chromecast dongle. If there is a better forum for support, please let me know, and I'll take my question there. If there isn't, why is the support forum set up this way. I would think Google can afford to set up a tailored support forum for such a popular device?

1 Recommended Answer

MagicAndre1981
Silver Product Expert
Silver Product Expert

try Update STTE.230319.008.R1 from today

_Chromecast_Update_STE.230319.008.R1.png

View Recommended Answer in original post

153 REPLIES 153

Jincey
Community Member

Are there any updates on the sound issue? I was having luck unplugging the Google thingie and plugging it back in 30 later to restart the app, but now that’s not working

Si2
Community Member

Will be returning my 2 new 4k sticks and getting something else if they don't fix this by Wednesday. Useless

Dennox
Community Member

Same here 🤮

tomclifton
Community Member

Same here. Annoying. Checked for system update but I’m already on the latest (Chromecast with Google TV - btw I’m trying to play from GTV, not casting). Waiting for a fix, rooting for the Chromecast team. 

WorseDoughnut
Community Member

This has been happening for the better part of a month for me now, and was probably a day or two away from replacing my speakers because of it. Very glad I stumbled across this, as incredibly annoying as it is I'm glad it's just my chromecast and not anything more expensive.

irls
Community Member

Same issue occurring for us as well since the latest update. We've also just started having our chromecast remote stop working with the chromecast, but continue working for the TV – CEC works, we can control the volume and input, but the voice/YouTube/Netflix buttons don't work. D-pad only works if we're not on the chromecast input.

Edelplastic
Community Member

Here the same. After last update, audio isn't working after TV was off. I always have to restart the Chromecast (with Google TV), after restart audio works. 

Shelhouse
Community Member

Mine has the same issue too.  At first restarting the TV worked but now 80% of the time it doesn't work at all.  Last night I gave up and went to bed.  I'm thinking of digging out the old firestick.  I can live without my TV not being connected to the home app.  Frustrating! 

annanemas
Community Member

If anyone can't get their chromecast to work by unplugging to restart it, you may want to try restarting from the settings menu. Click on the settings gear in the upper right corner, browse down to System, then Restart. Now my chromecast is always losing audio on one TV, about half the time on a second, and never on a third. Restarting from the settings menu is still bringing the sound back for me every time.

Yeah but you have to do that every... Single.... Time ..

G-rig
Community Member

Turning the soundbar or tv on and off again would fix it i found.. unless it's a different issue.  Hardly ever need to do a proper reboot of the device.  it may only happen once in every 3-4h or something for me, but can probably cause it by skipping through an episode or to the next one.  Hard to reproduce all the time, seems a bit random (could be overheating as some people have alluded to).

Carey80
Community Member

If you change your display setting from 4K 60hz to anything under 4K 30hz it fixes the issue. I've set mine to 4K 24hz as that's what most things are filmed in. Working fine now, no sound issues and nothing noticeable to the picture quality, give it a try.

G-rig
Community Member

@Carey80 wrote:

If you change your display setting from 4K 60hz to anything under 4K 30hz it fixes the issue. I've set mine to 4K 24hz as that's what most things are filmed in. Working fine now, no sound issues and nothing noticeable to the picture quality, give it a try.

Worth a go - so anything under and including 4k 30hz? HDR on seems to be recommended.
i've turned off DTS doesn't help that much. I think different apps use different dolby formats which is where it could get confused (?). 

Carey80
Community Member

Yes, seems to be anything under 30hz works. I tried changing to HDR too but it made the colours look terrible, that could just be my TV though! Changing to 4K 24hz has worked for me and I've been watching different apps without any issues.

G-rig
Community Member

Will test it out, the colours and picture looks great with 60Hz and HDR (and I've only got a generic 4k tv but pretty decent for the price). 

Shouldn't have to do it, stupid how picture settings affect the sounds. I mentioned before mine is plugged directly into a soundbar so toggling the sound modes restores it no reboots necessary (although turning on/off again fixes it too, either the speaker or device).

Gotchahomie
Community Member

Me too. I have a TCL hooked up arc to Yamaha soundbar. Luckily I will have my Amazon 4k stick. Honestly I'm glad because the interface on Chromecast blows dog donkey tail.

Pontneddfechan
Community Member

This is another me too post. More bizarrely it can sometimes take 2 reboots and sometimes just cycling through soundbar sources will fix. Due to the soundbar cycling I have been changing settings on my TV, and soundbar turning off convenient features like hdmi-cec. Glad I'm not going mad. Does anyone know if the bug has been raised over on bug tracker?

SteffenM
Community Member

I still have the same issue. Located in Denmark

leovveen
Community Member

Same here. Reboot of Chromecast will bring sound back. Please fix. 

G-rig
Community Member

So is it this issue present if you don't allow a new Google TV to do the system update? I think it tries to do it automatically on startup, may as well test out a new one I bought.

G-rig
Community Member

Actually it doesn't give you the opportunity not to do the update during the first setup.. hmm.
Will test this one anyway.

Maurocan
Community Member

Sale problem with LG Oled.

mtux96
Community Member

I had this same issue on my Living room TV about maybe a month or so ago and it fixed itself. Now I have this issue on my bedroom tv. Hoping it gets fixed soon.

tehbobbeh
Community Member

Same here!

AIPV
Community Member

Same issue here! I thought it was my old chromecast going bad so I bought a new one. What a pain, this is very annoying. Please resolve this ASAP!

G-rig
Community Member

Has anyone noticed some static type sound when changing navigating apps on the home screen (ie a rough kind of sound when click the button)? My new Google TV does the same thing so wondering if it's the HDMI cable or an issue with soundbar. 

Mmcn89
Community Member

Yes I have that too.

G-rig
Community Member

Good to know, mustn't be my hardware or cable then. 
I suppose it's an issue with the OS programming or something.

1905dar
Community Member

Same issue as everyone else, TV speakers, no soundbar

Lukaszzz
Community Member

Same issue, restart helps but its annoying

Michaelplant
Community Member

I don't want to be yet another "me too" but exact same issue as described above. This is my first Chromecast 4K having purchased just a couple of weeks ago (finally moving away from Amazon Firesticks) but so far this hasn't been the best first experience of the 4K stick.

WorseDoughnut
Community Member

Can confirm that setting the Chromecast display settings to 4K 24Hz has fixed this permanently for me so far. Only downside is the menu's look like choppy 24fps trash compared to before, but still better than a reboot everytime I sit down to watch something.

Hopefully Google can get this sorted out eventually, but having a mostly painless workaround in the meantime is better than nothing.

Qnz_27
Community Member

Same for me as well. No sound anywhere, app, hi. Have to restart it. So basically before i watch anything I have been restarting the device. Needs to be fixed.

Pontneddfechan
Community Member

Whoever suggested the Dolby vision fix thank you. Turning off the always use Dolby vision seems to have worked the trick. I have it set to still use Dolby when it's available so in theory there should be no noticeable visual differences 

But in practice, do you see any difference in picture quality?

The content I have been watching no not really. Feel colours may not be so vibrant but think it's me imagining it than anything wrong. My son hasn't noticed a difference and Dolby vision will kick in on content that supports it. 

Pengz888
Community Member

The last update broke my HDMI Link with TV. Now I can't turn off my TV by pressing the power button on the Google remote.

G-rig
Community Member

Yeah something strange happened when i did a system update on my first chromecast last year (see link below, basically had to do a few system resets and change the HDMI cable).

I would recommend not doing an update to be honest, but you don't get the choice when setting up a new one.  No issues with my new chromecast yet.  I noticed the input selector has never worked properly with my particularly tv (only goes to HDMI 2, none of the other HDMI ports or TV tuner, but use the TVIRL app anyway).

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Chromecast-with-Google-TV-4k-No-Signal-after-syste...

@Pengz888  I would try playing around with the CEC settings, plug into another HDMI temporarily or testing another cable. That is the best feature the HDMI Arc - turning on/off soundbar, tv, cc and the volume control :).

leonardof
Community Member

4 weeks since this post and the problem remains. I guess it's time to get myself an Amazon Fire Stick or Roku

ericofaustin
Community Member

Same issue here with a TCL tv hooked through a receiver with eARC.  Pretty clear that an update is to blame.  Time is overdue to fix that Google.